Where has the SEBA community gone?

Discussion in 'Southeast Binders Association' started by JordanAMC, Jan 21, 2015.

1. JordanAMC

JordanAMC Binder Driver

After our get together in Sanford this weekend, I realized that very few people frequent, or even at all use, Binderplanet anymore. What's the deal? Has everyone simply given up and moved on to social media like Facebook?

Makes me sad that there is so little activity on here now.

2. Bruce Shealy

Bruce Shealy Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator

I am not sure I understand what you mean, Binder Planet has over 41K members and is the largest IH Tech website in the world. The SEBA Meet and Greet thread has had over 3500 views alone. The SEBA forum is the largest club forum on the Binder Planet. You realized very few people frequent or even use Binder Planet ? As I type this over 150 people are currently viewing the website, we routinely have in excess of 300 users online at once, our Facebook page is now over 1000 members strong, but our website is strong and very active. Not sure where you are getting your information about the Binder Planet .

3. JordanAMC

JordanAMC Binder Driver

Whoa nelly. I was just commenting on the seemingly low number of conversations/ topics in the SEBA forum. I feel like ACTIVE participation is lower than it has been in the past. Winter meet and greet thread excluded, I suppose. Simply being on the site and viewing stuff is, to me, different than being an active member.

Just an observation, not a statement of fact. I wasn't complaining about anything or trying to speak negatively about Binderplanet. I personally love this site, and my usage of it expresses that.

And yes, at our wrench day I realized that among that group there seemed to be more people using other sites/social media outlets to communicate rather than Binderplanet, the SEBA forum in particular. Personal choice I suppose, although they were all, or nearly all, once active on this forum. It kind of took me by surprise.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2015
  4. Mitch Neal

Mitch Neal High Wheeler

Bruce gets a little touchy over this subject....obviously.:oops:

I agree, SEBA participation is way down and I also feel like BinderPlanet usage in general is down as well. Our forum only shows threads that have a post within 30 days, a few years ago we had so many threads going it would be two or maybe three pages. Now we struggle to have half a page active within a month.

I feel like social media has taken a lot of our typical conversations as it's a lot more interesting to look at pictures than to actually read about IH's.

I know for me, the last few years my job and family have taken precedence over my time to work on IH's and that could be a lot of other peoples issues as well.

I would like to see activity here on BP get back to where it was. I would rather see a more active SEBA this year, more meets, more events, etc. I appreciate you taking the initiative by having a local get together as that's what it is all about. SEBA started with the core intent to have a more active club and to bring people with a passion for IH's together through the SouthEast.

What are other's thoughts? I am open, how can we make this a better, more active club?

5. Bruce Shealy

I read your post too literally, it didnt cross my mind that you meant the club forum. I probably shouldnt post after a 14 hr and 700 mile day. :oops: I agree with you and Mitch that the SEBA club forums traffic is down from where it has been historically , we have had large turnouts at the Meet and Greet, but we do struggle to keep SEBA members engaged on the club forum as well as our club website. Apologies if I came across as harsh in my initial reply, certainly wasnt my intent. Hope to see you at the M&G Saturday.

6. JordanAMC

JordanAMC Binder Driver

I wish I Could make the meet and greet, but I'm working nights all weekend so no go for me. It's a little far at the moment for me anyway with my current situation. One day I'll make it!

7. ClemsonScout

ClemsonScout High Wheeler

I have noticed this on all the forums I use. It sucks. I think it directly has to do with most forums either sponsoring or someone else creating a Facebook page. Far too many people (including myself) use Facebook, so posting on there is more efficient, but with time all the useful information will be owned by Facebook, which is hard to search and not the best forum for technical information. I don't see a solution yet, but there has been attempts, but nothing works well. Maybe Vbulletin will figure out how to bridge the gap.

Old Facespace...

8. jfulwider

jfulwider Farmall Cub

I think participation wise for events, it's because SEBA a covers such a large area that it's hard to get a lot of people together for one event. The Winter Meet and Greet is an awesome event. I went last year and met some fine folks. Getting that many people from the group in one place at one time it an achievement. Those guys do a great job. Particpation is worse in other clubs. I belong to the ODBA a d just getting together 10 or so is a good outing. But hey I'm trying. It helps that we have the BP and FB a and other social media. I think they help keep up interest in these rust buckets we all love. I think things cycle on and off too. I've been on ther boards and they are pretty much dead. So we just have to keep trying to grow our passion. However these things aren't getting cheaper, and that makes it tougher.

9. Bruce Shealy

The Vbulletin trials we have been running for a few months incorporate social media right into the software. We have decided on one and will be upgrading the Planet in the very near future. Picture loading is simple drop and load and thread and post ratings are easy, FB and Twitter sharing is seamless.

This is a huge improvement over what we have. Our initial go date was between Christmas and New Years but we had to push that, we hope to go live soon, stay tuned. A lot of our issues will go away with the new software, we are excited about the Planet getting a facelift and a makeover in one.

10. jhnyct

jhnyct High Wheeler

Basically...what Mitch said.

11. NC Scout

NC Scout Farmall Cub

For me I'm extremely busy and it's hard to keep up with the SEBA page. When we had our get together I posted to Facebook and reached many more people than depending on BP. I don't know the answer either. If one could also copy to the other it would be great.