Wheeling after RMIHR

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain Binders' started by Mike Scherr, Jul 15, 2009.

1. Mike Scherr

Mike Scherr Farmall Cub

Rocky Mountian Binders,

Brian Branch and I are spending the week after RHIHR wheeling in south central Colorado and are wondering if any local binders would like to join (or Guide) us. Neither our trails nor our schedule is set but we would like to hit a few of the big name trails. We will be around Buena Vista, Salida, Penrose, Fairplay, and Alamosa. Anyone interested?

We are also camping, if anyone has any good spots they are willing to share I would love to hear about them.

Thanks,

Mike

Last edited: Jul 15, 2009
  2. 69scout

69scout Farmall Cub

I'm totally down. just gotta get the time off. I'll be at the RMIHR.

Does anyone know what trails are on the list for SUnday and Monday at RMIHR?

:punk:

3. 76-scout-MATT

76-scout-MATT High Wheeler

going to rmihr..after that ?????... all will depend on the allmighty$$$$$$.. but would love to tag along...new to the area so i will not be much help with trails and such but make a mean chili:nuke:

4. Will Marsh

Will Marsh Moderator Staff Member Moderator

The trail trip list will be posted Saturday as soon as I get home from the meeting. I haven't seen it yet myself although I believe Wheeler Lake and Mosquito Pass are on the list.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to stay past Monday morning.

Will Marsh

5. bbranch

bbranch Farmall Cub

Glad to hear we may have some commrades for the week after. Heck ya with the Chili, haven't really thought of chili since its been in triple digits for quite awhile here. The wife makes a mean pot of Taco Soup & homade Salsa we'll prolly bing for one evening. 13 Days and we'll be there. Thanks for the info Will.

6. Will Marsh

The official Trail list for RMIHR 2009 is:

Sunday:
    Mosquito Pass
    Silver Falls - this is a relatively unknown trail right outside of Fairplay, led by a couple of local boys. Rated 3 out of 5, stock height vehicles should expect body damage.

Monday:
    Wheeler Lake
    Georgia Pass/Mini Rubicon
    Boreas Pass
    Twin Cone

Tuesday:
    Red Cone/Deer Creek - Need at least 6 trucks signed up or it will be cancelled. Tuesday trail trips have not been popular the last few years and aren't listed on the flyer anymore, but we'll give it one more shot if there is enough interest.

That's it for the Officially sanctioned trails.

There are some folks planning to stay and run Holy Cross later in the week.

Will Marsh

Last edited: Jul 19, 2009
  7. AZDIESEL

AZDIESEL Binder Driver

Are any of the RMIHR sanctioned runs acceptable for a stock scout with 31's?

8. Will Marsh

Boreas Pass is pretty much graded and graveled old railroad grade, and can be driven in a car. Nice scenic drive.

Mosquito Pass can be done in a stock SII on 31's with some judicious driving. Expect some tire rub.

At one time I'd have said Georgia Pass was a possibility, and certainly would be to the top on the south (Jefferson) and I believe there are suitable bypasses for most of the Mini Rubicon. The north side (Breckenridge) of Georgia Pass would have been pretty hairy in a stock one the last time I was on it (2001), and it's supposed to be even more washed out now. Talk to the trail leader at the show and he would be a better judge of that than I am.

The rest I wouldn't even attempt in one of my 4" lifted SII's, except maybe Silver Falls, I'm just not that hardcore. The 800 with 34's wouldn't have a problem lift wise although having open diff's on both ends might be a problem on Red Cone and Twin Cone and the step at the end of Wheeler Lake.

HTH,

Will Marsh