Wheel studs question

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by neo, Sep 11, 2005.

1. neo

neo Farmall Cub

I would like to know once and for all if my wheel studs are not the OEM wheel studs and if the Dorman part # 610-154 is the correct wheel stud to use for the front wheels of a 75 Scout 2 (Dana 44 front).

The pic attached shows three studs. The left one is the stud I pulled from my hub/rotor set when I replace my bearings. The middle one is the stud I used to replace my old ones. I thought was Dorman part # 610-221 but Dan P. corrected me and I'll have to figure out when the right part # for this is. The stud on the right is Dorman part # 610-154.

Just looking at the stud on the right - it does not seem like it should even work. The size of the shaft and the placement of the knurls are strikingly sifferent compared to the bolt that was in there to start with. As you can clearly see the knurls are near the head - essentially where the rotors should be. The knurls should be further down the shaft (nearer the threads) for it to "bite" into the knurled holes in the hub. In addition the shaft does not have a larger shoulder where the rotors are as it should be.

Please correct me if I am wrong - I might have to find new hubs somewhere because the ones I have may not last another set of wheel studs. And I would like to get the correct one this time around (the PO has done things to this scout I am still trying fix so I would not doubt this to be one of them).

Many thanks to all those who can help me clear up this mystery!

[​IMG]

larger pics are available @
    http://neilandamie.us/albums/MiscPics/P9110005.JPG
    http://neilandamie.us/albums/MiscPics/P9110003.JPG
    http://neilandamie.us/albums/MiscPics/P9110004.JPG

2. Doug Shailor

Doug Shailor Guest

Neil,

I would agree that the one on the right isn't correct if the one on the left is an original. Here is a pic of a 610-154 from the Dorman web site:

[​IMG]

To me it looks the same as the one you have.

I don't have anything apart at the moment to compare to your "original" but if IIRC the knurl needs to be like the two on the left so it goes through the rotor and "locks" into the hub.

Hopefully you can find the correct part number of the one in the middle because it looks to be a correct replacement. And I would like to know what it is too.

I'm disappointed the Dorman web site (http://www.rbinc.com/) has the incorrect part listed. I bought some studs for an SII rear D44 axle shaft based on the web site and they were the correct part.

3. Buddy

Buddy Farmall Cub

I am in the process of changing my studs. I looked on the head of the old stud and saw the number 273. If you look at Dorman #610-273, it looks like the correct replacement.

4. Doug Shailor

Doug Shailor Guest

Dorman 610-273:

[​IMG]

Attributes:

Type : Serrated Stud
    Thread : 1/2-20
    Knurl Dia. : .625"
    Length : 1-5/8"
    Shoulder Length : 21/32"

Neo never did come back with the part number of the one in the middle of his pic.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2005
  5. Eric Underriner

Eric Underriner Binder Driver

Does anyone know of a stud that will fit a stock d44 hub and rotor, but is 1/2 to 1 inch longer? Thanks.
    E-

6. ji79scoutii

ji79scoutii Farmall Cub

I went through all this about 2 months ago and was in the same position. Of course I can't find where I wrote the part number down. . . .

I distinctly remember that one of the dorman part numbers was correct and that whatever NAPA calls out for it is incorrect. The wheel studs I installed looked like the center ones in the picture. I believe I cross referenced the dorman part number to what NAPA called out for a CJ of the same vintage.

Hope this helps.

7. ji79scoutii

ji79scoutii Farmall Cub

NAPA part number for wheel studs / wheel bolts
    641-3103

Wheel bolt 273
    1/2"-20 x 1-5/8"