What's This 800 Worth?

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by Chris Cooper, Feb 13, 2020.

1. Chris Cooper

Chris Cooper Binder Driver

It's a '69 with a 196, 4-speed, and a Belleville winch. Runs good, I've driven it. My buddy in WY owns it, and for some reason can't access BP on his computer. He added a fuel tank in the bed because the original fuel tanks & hard lines are rusted, and the tanks are rusted into the truck. Photos to follow from my phone.

2. Chris Cooper

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More pix can be had— I was in a hurry to get to work on my truck.

3. winchested

winchested Y-Block King

$500-1000? Looks like she's rough body wise? Is it an 80 or an early 800?

4. Chris Cooper

'69 800. Yeah, it's rough-- not real straight, and rust in front of the rear wheel arches. Drives just fine, though.

5. jeff campbell

jeff campbell Lives in an IH Dealership

800. Tell by tailgate and no lock down loop on hood for wind screen ( aussie saying )

scout2000 likes this.
  6. scout2000

scout2000 Lives in an IH Dealership

and the plastic backup lights. The square && unpainted headlight surrounds would suggest parts from an 800b, along with the larger front nose turn signals that started on the 800a and followed thru to the S2.

OTOH, if you look very closely at each corner, I see (what I believe to be) small holes where the round reflectors would have been, jumping back to the suggestion of a '68 or '69.

Personally, I would follow along with Winchested comments regarding value. The smart move it to clean it up as much as possible, photograph it, PhotoShop those photographs, then place it on an eBay auction with a "buy it now" bid of $24K USD.

7. Chris Cooper

It's definitely an 800, if the data plate can be believed.

I love the Ebay comment, Jerry. It's about as clean as it can get at this point. You should have seen it when Harry got it: it had been in the path of lawn sprinklers & the hard water they shot, so the windows looked like a shower door. It took him days to clean that mineral haze off.

Anyway, thanks guys.

jeff campbell and scout2000 like this.
  8. scout2000

scout2000 Lives in an IH Dealership

Added +++

Remove that fancy grill guard and the winch, and sell separately for extra $$$.

Chances are, those "accessory parts" will not add, or at least will not add significantly to the bottom line.

Seriously though, some poor east coast, rust belt sucker is watering at the mouth right now to get this "surface rust only" vehicle. Those fender-bender areas will smooth out nicely with some heat and a big hammer. :)
    Us Binder people are mostly all cheap-skates, and although we know what we will pay, our group isn't representative of someone who wanted a 1st gen Bronco, decided they couldn't quite afford it, and this seems like a good Plan B.

9. oneof3k

oneof3k High Wheeler

Not quite close enough to the CO San Juan Mnts
    Here in our neck of the woods, that would fetch closer to $2-3K IMHO. Mostly cuz there are too many people here these days with more money then brains.

Chris Cooper and scout2000 like this.
  10. Randall Barringer

Randall Barringer Y-Block King

I was going to say around $2k as well.
    Jerry´s right about the winch and grill guard. The grill guard was a Necessory and is desirable to some. I shipped one to Old Iron Offroad in TN years ago.
    Does the Scout have a clear title? That will add/subtract to the value as well.
    That quarter panel damage looks like mine before I ¨fixed¨ it.

oneof3k and scout2000 like this.
  11. Greg R

Greg R Lives in an IH Dealership

I second winchested's valuation. I think it would be a great "estate" truck for property maintenance, tooling around in the woods, and so on. In the mean time it might be fun to work out the flaws and improve the running and appearance. The rear end photo fully explains my dislike of wrap around bumpers. One little hit and the side piece oil cans the whole fender. I had that happen on a 1960 F100 and I have cut the side pieces off of those bumpers ever since. I wouldn't buy it for parting out or a restoration, but just to make it better through the years of ownership and increase the value with some sweat equity.

Jrc55, TorqueMonster1 and scout2000 like this.
  12. Jrc55

Jrc55 Binder Driver

I'd sure love to have it.

13. Chris Cooper

Jerry, if that's what those in the know value it at, then to me it's simply a valuation, not cheap or otherwise. Thanks for advice on the winch & grill guard, but I doubt he wants to mess with a separate sale of those-- he's pretty much moved on to other projects at this point.

3k, that's pretty much who he's waiting for at this point.

Randall, the title is clear. All is well on that front.

Greg, we call those "hills trucks"; ones that aren't pretty but reliable & capable. We had various examples when we all lived in the Laramie Mountains west of Wheatland, WY: M37, M715, F-150, U-404, J-20, CJ5, etc... That 800 would make a great a hills truck. Harry's done with it, though; got a Terra to occupy his time & energies.

Jrc, I don't know where you are so I don't know if that 800 is nearby, but it's in Wheatland WY. I can PM a phone # if you'd like.

Thanks for all the input, guys-- it was a learning experience as always.