What's in the finished product?

Discussion in 'The BioDiesel Plant' started by steve bridge, Dec 27, 2008.

1. steve bridge

steve bridge Farmall Cub

I've looked but haven't found, what would happen if a person consumed B100. Is there residual Methanol in it? Is there a MSO or whatever for it? I am not looking to increase my fat intake, but am wondering how well I need to keep it locked up.

2. pri

pri High Wheeler

That mostly depends on how well the reaction has gone. You never get 100% reaction, the most I've seen is around 95%, which means that there is still about 5% of unreacted oil. The excess methanol will go with the glycerine, so that's not a problem.
    There should be a MSD available for biodiesel somewhere, but I haven't seen one lately. I don't think I would drink it if I can avoid it, but from what I heard it shouldn't inflict any serious deceases. I do think your tummy would be a little upset though... ;)

I do recall reading something over at the biodiesel forums (biodiesel.infopop.cc) about someone taking a sip of the brew at some biodiesel show, but I'm not sure.
    The best place to ask would be at the biodiesel forums at infopop. They're a knowledgeable bunch of people there.