what's going on with southern scouts

Discussion in 'Southeast Binders Association' started by chris80boy, Jan 1, 2004.

1. chris80boy

chris80boy Farmall Cub

First of all,this is not meant to trash or demean any of our clubs and organizations,but what is going on with Southern Scouts? I have received no news letters,no notice of quarterly meetings and if I did'nt stumple across the scout show in October,(I could't get the 80 ready),I would not have known about that. I do have the membership roster,alot of the vendors have changed their number or gone out of buisness.I have not always had access to the web site so I 'm not sure what I may have missed.I am more than willing to help the club anyway I can ,but I will be hesitant to pay dues for an organization with such little return on the investment.This is written with out malice nor is it intende to "piss" anyone off;just want to know "the rest of the story"

2. cartwright

cartwright High Wheeler

I was considering joining, but since I havent seen anything new on their website in what seems like ages, and now reading your post I dont think I will.

3. Apricots

Apricots Farmall Cub

It looks like the moderator of this forum, Bruce Shealy, has not posted on the web site in 7 months!

4. Mitch Neal

Mitch Neal High Wheeler

Yeah, I have offered to help with the website or anything I can. I really don't know much about websites, but I figure I could at least update it a little. It is not a very active club for sure. The only two meets that usually happen are the Scouting Tellico and the April show in Charlotte, which I missed this year. They have started also meeting at the fall show in Charlotte, but I was informed this is not an "official" meet. The most active people in the upstate SC are Bruce and Nathan, and I haven't seen or heard from either lately. I wish we could make the club as active as OBDA. They meet like once a month.

5. David Banner

David Banner High Wheeler

It's starting to sound like there's enough of us here to start organizing ourselves...

Lets set up something simple in the border area (N./S. carolina) and see if we get ourselves to show up!;)

6. chris80boy

chris80boy Farmall Cub

I'm all 4 it

when ever your ready.Let me know and we'll organize something that will work 4 the wheelers who like to get together more than once a year...

7. jetmech

jetmech Binder Driver

Southern Scouts

Hey,
    I was considering joining myself but their website never seems to change or get updated!
    I live north of Atlanta and there are some locals in this area that might be interested in getting together too.
    Maybe a meet in the tri-state area (GA,NC,SC) would be possible.
    I've been trying to organize a get-to-gether but haven't had much luck!
    There's a local club here in Atlanta I will probably join (multi-brand-4X4's) just because they're so active with rides, meets, etc...

8. Bruce Shealy

Bruce Shealy Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator

Southern Scouts

Guys,..Southern Scouts is still a club,..albeit a very inactive one at best. I have been out of the loop for quite a while due to a 60 hr a week work schedule for the last 8 or so months. I will be resigning my office of VP due to the work schedule I have now and it looks as if it will not get any better anytime soon. I will remain a member but that will be the extent of my involvement in the club. I still own a bunch of IH's and parts but have sold the big ole "Camo". I trust my inability to "moderate" this club forum will be excused and I will post at least once or twice a week here to keep you as updated as I can,..sadly there isnt much to update. The website was to be evaluated by an expert 10 months ago and updated but after several inquiries by myself I got no where. I,..like the thread starter do not mean to malign anyone,..but I cannot in good conscience remain an officer with the club and not be able to get cooperation. Hope this clears up some questions.

9. Baradium

Baradium Lives in an IH Dealership

Sounds like you really do have your work cut out for you Bruce.

I don't even know if I'm a listed member anymore... I gave up on trying to get a change of address through I guess over a year ago? Contacting anyone in the club seems to be nearly impossible.

Once or twice a week posting is plenty. It's a lot more than this section has been getting for a long time!

Thanks,
    Ryan

Last edited: Jan 8, 2004
  10. Mitch Neal

Mitch Neal High Wheeler

Bruce,

I understand where you are coming from. I have not had time to work on my Scouts right now either,(new baby on the way, have to get the house ready:rolleyes: ) but I will help however I can. Who is president now? Do they have internet access? Is Nathan online? Just let me know what I can do. It sounds like we have a lot of people that would be willing to help out to make Southern Scouts a more active club. The most critical thing that I see right now is an updated webpage so we will attract new members and give us a way of getting information out to current members. Anybody here a webdesigner with some spare time on their hands?

Mitch

11. jim s.

jim s. Farmall Cub

if anyone in this "club" would like to get together for some wheelin or a beer, send me an e-mail. i would also like to meet some folks who have access to a shop. i have decent mechanical skills and fab skills. just moving to clemson, i left my friends in FL where our shop is located. theres nothing better than getting dirty working on a binder!

12. Apricots

Apricots Farmall Cub

Sorry about that Bruce, welcome back!

13. Sackett

Sackett Farmall Cub

Jim,
    I would also like to have access to a shop because I live in the city and they bother me about my cars. I would be interested in going in on something with some other people in our area if we could find something cheap (as long as its got a roof, walls, and enough space). I would be williing to share my engine hoist, crappy wire feed welder, and other tools. I am a mechanic and work at sears in anderson so I have access to alignment racks and can get good prices on tires and stuff if anybody around needs it.
    Who knows, maybe we could get something going in the area.

14. mr_longhair

mr_longhair Farmall Cub

info

I'm not in your area, but i believe my scout was from there. Well atleast the top top anyway. It has a Southern Scouts decal on it. So if any of the guys are still left from the club I would like to try to find some info about my scout.

15. Bruce Shealy

Bruce Shealy Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator

Ask away with any ?'s

Feel free to post a question here in this forum,..I will try to answer as quickly as possible. We have some very knowledgable people who visit and I may at one time have owned your Scout,..who knows,.I have had a pile of them and still do. If I ( We ) can help,..feel free to fire away,..Bruce

16. jim s.

jim s. Farmall Cub

wheelin trip

well it seems there is a lot of chatter going on here...excellent. i have some friends in FLA who are looking for a wheelin trip in the spring, around April. we've done tellico and are looking for something else. anybody know about monteagle, TN or anything in B'ham, AL?

until then, anybody in here interested in getting together and doing a trip? gimme an e-mail. oh yeah, the idea about getting a beer is still open. weekends are best for me. thanks.

17. Baradium

Baradium Lives in an IH Dealership

Re: wheelin trip

All I know about monteagle is that I drive through it every time I go between TN and GA on I-24.

Only mountain I go over really. If you call it that.

There's a good surplus place in monteagle itself. Larry's.. he has some good stuff.

It's about 1.5 hours from me here I guess.

Thanks,
    Ryan

18. jhnyct

jhnyct High Wheeler

Monteagle

I was interested in going to Monteagle myself, so I did some research on the net. The land is privately owned and is opened to the public for events only. So you can't just wheel there any ole' time. I myself have joined Southern Scouts in the last 6 months. I received my new member packet, but nothing since. I didn't expect there to be much activity in GA to begin with, but I am going to try to make it to the show in April.

19. jim s.

jim s. Farmall Cub

what show? when? where? thanks.

20. Mitch Neal

Mitch Neal High Wheeler

Southern Scouts always meets at the Charlotte Autofair which is at the Lowes motor speedway in Charlotte. The meet is usually the first weekend in April. I checked the Autofair website and it will be April 1-4. We have also started meeting there at the September meet, but I believe that is still an unofficial get together. This is going to be September 16-19

Here is the link to their page:
    http://www.charlotte-autofair.com/

Last edited: Jan 13, 2004