What year Scout 80?

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by Tito's Rig, Jan 9, 2015.

1. Tito's Rig

Tito's Rig Farmall Cub

Found a Scout 80 in a vacant/boarded up old home. Bought it from owners son. Been in the family since the late 60's/early 70's. Been setting idle for many years. Fortunately the last 10 in a garage. Appears to have original paint, drivetrain, interior etc. I believe even the air cleaner is factory. Cab top with sliders. Has bulkhead in place cannot tell it it is the early (permanent) installation. I took a pic of the Serial number but hard to make out... looks like the first four are FC38 or FC58. Any idea what year this might be?

Tail gate on early Scouts ('61 and '62 ?) had the 'IH' vs 'Int Scout' script which this one has. Did that change over in late '62 or in '63? I thought the sliders went away in early '62. They appear to be original to the Scout. Not sure if it was originally a cabtop. Son of owner remembers a Traveltop that was on it when they toured around in it years ago

It has a strange stick combo that I am not familiar with. From what I have read about this, it could be a PTO or O/D type configuration. It has original buckets. The factory radio is still there. Dash not cut. all knobs and dash pieces seem intact. Covered in debris. I pick it up this Sunday.

Can anybody advise on year, transfer case situation and anything else that might help me better undrstand the rig? Got it for $500. Appears to be less rust than typically one might run across for this old of a Scout. Not sure yet since it is covered in many places.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. rlireland

rlireland Content Team Staff Member Moderator

FC38.. would put it in the 1961 production range. FC58.. is 1962 area. The slider windows most likely make it a '61. Can you tell how many digits there are?
    Once you get it out of the barn, you can look for the serial (VIN) number stamped on the outside of the frame near the steering box and front spring mount. You may have to do some scraping or wire bushing to reveal it though.

Roy

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 9, 2015
  3. Tito's Rig

Tito's Rig Farmall Cub

Thanks Roy.
    Here is the only pic I was able to get of the dataplate. Some data is visible. I will for sure verify what is on it as well as what is on the frame rail once I get the truck.
    Did any 61' or 62' models ever come with the tailgate this one has or would it be explained better as having been replaced at some point?

[​IMG]

4. rlireland

Looks like it might be FC53026 which would put it in the 1962 production range. I don't have any firm data on how early or late in the year it might have been though.
    The slider windows and non-removeable bulkhead are more reliable indicators of the year of production. Both were used until mid-year 1962.

5. Tito's Rig

Tito's Rig Farmall Cub

That's what it looked like to me as well. I heard that in '62 the sliders were only available for a short time. Do you know if that is true?

Also, do you know if the tailgate script changed from "IH" to "International Scout" that year
    ('62)? I would have thought a '62 would have the "IH" script.

Roy, would you have any insight on the 4 stick shift/xfer case configuration? Was that typical? Does it look factory or do you suppose it was added later?

6. rlireland

See some comments I added in the previous post.
    Roll up windows were optional beginning in mid-1962 so sliders could probably be found until 1963 production began.
    The extra stick may be for a PTO as you surmised. You'll be able to confirm that when you get the Scout outside and can look underneath. As far as I know, PTOs were dealer-added options and not factory installed.

7. Lowell

Lowell Farmall Cub

Our 62 Scout 80 had theslider windows. Correction: The tailgate on our 62 just had a big IH.

Attached Files:

8. Scott L

Scott L High Wheeler

My guess is the extra stick is for one of the period overdrive units that bolted onto the back of the Dana 18 case. Probably a Warn unit. Congrats!

9. Fins160

Fins160 Binder Driver

That is a stock original Warn OD from the factory. Should be listed on the line set ticket when you order it. It matches my Warn OD location, shift boot and knob exactly. You can check out pics on by build thread (in my sig).

Excellent find!

10. LJ851

LJ851 Farmall Cub

Wow, awesome truck. Same color as mine and very similar.

I have an FC48 serial number 1962 with sliding windows and "international scout" on the tailgate. Mine came with a full top so doesn't have a bulkhead.

11. Dana Strong

Dana Strong Dreams of Cub Cadets

The second picture shows an engine stand that probably belongs with the Scout, right? :D
    The third shows a control on top of the steering column that nobody commented on yet. It looks electric but could operate solenoids, I suppose.

Looks like a very good candidate for an original restoration; any areas of very bad rust the pictures don't show?

12. Randall Barringer

Randall Barringer Y-Block King

I figured the control was an aftermarket turn signal switch. It looks like others I've come across.

13. Dana Strong

The original switch & lever is still in place, while the second isn't positioned to be very convenient. If I were replacing a bad control, I'd at least remove the original lever and have the second unit behind it. You might be right though --- time will tell.

14. Tito's Rig

Tito's Rig Farmall Cub

Picked it up yesterday. Very original. very rough. I love the patina and look of the truck with the original paint.

Looks to have had the original bench seat removed. rigged driver seat. No passenger seat. Floors and bed rusted through. Driver side door pretty bad as well as torque boxes etc. It was outside for a long time prior to going into the garage it would seem. Remarkably original though with much of the original equipment in place. The rear diff was pulled in favor of what appears to be a slightly narrower assy. We are trying to find a Dana 44 to put under it. Need a bench seat too. Looks to have the original front wheels still on it.

The dash and controls are all there and original except for a later Scout choke cable and a couple additions. Grill is nice and most all the front of the truck. Engine turns over and look good. Rad had antifreeze in it. Oil looked ok (sans moisture).

One cool old Scout. Here are some recent pix.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Tito's Rig

Tito's Rig Farmall Cub

Serial # is FC53026A. A few more shots. The OD decal appears to be an original part.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. mrdeadman1

mrdeadman1 Farmall Cub

Just a heads up the rear end appears to be the factory dana 20 looks just like the one in my 61, nice find

17. mcsmythe

mcsmythe Farmall Cub

PTO shifter would be to the driver-side of the T90 shifter and a little back toward seat(buckets) or a knob on the dash(bench).

Do the bed rails have mount holes for the travel top? If not, would be an original cab top.

18. Dana Strong

I didn't see anything in the pictures showing the rear end, except the outside of the rear wheels. The axle ends appear flat & forged, not the tapered axles w/ nuts from that period. It might be useful to see some pictures from the underside of the driveline; the TC, overdrive, driveshafts and rear axle in particular.

I'd also like to see some close-ups of the right rear inside bench. Is that hemispherical unit actually free and sitting upside down, did it come out of the recess farther forward or where it is, or ??? I recall seeing one such recess made for the spare tire, and think it was forward where the fuel tank would have been had one been present, but am not sure it wasn't elsewhere on the right bench. I also recall seeing the forward cutout having a hinged door, i.e. being made into a 'toolbox', on a different unit. Think the jack and other odd stuff was in it.

19. mcsmythe

mcsmythe Farmall Cub

pretty sure that is the lower flywheel cover just laying there.

20. Carl Wiese

Carl Wiese Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Slider windows were an available option throughout the Scout 80's production years. Having sliders tells you nothing about the year of manufacture.

mcsmyth, I find you avatar funny as FIAT not only owns Jeep, but International tractors as well. Who'd ever though back in the 60's that a foreign company like Fiat would own International tractors and Jeep SUV's?