what kind of crazy hazing ritual is this?

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by BritCarJim, Jun 29, 2014.

1. BritCarJim

BritCarJim Farmall Cub

i've had my '63 Scout 80 for about a year and have been gradually rehabbing it along with working on other projects. last month i decided i needed to double down on the scout and get it safely drivable before winter this year. i've been working on the brakes--having already done the clutch. i was going to work on the driver's side front brakes yesterday. i spent two hours trying to get the lug nuts off with NO PROGRESS at all. all 5 nuts are utterly immovable. if i put a deep-well socket on a two foot breaker bar and jump up and down on it (i weigh about 205) it does nothing. no, i am not turning the nuts the wrong way. when i look at the nuts (per the pic) the top of the nuts look deformed to the shape of the seat on the wheel. jeez!

Attached Files:

2. blue smoke

blue smoke High Wheeler

Since you didn't own this thing since new, it is possible that some one in there infinite dumbness put left hand threaded studs

3. Bill USN-1

Bill USN-1 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Most studs are stamped with a L on the end if left hand but early productions did not have the stamp.
    Look closely a the threads to determine the proper rotation.
    My 61 is left hand on the left side.

4. BritCarJim

BritCarJim Farmall Cub

well, i noticed the nut shape when i was down there checking the threads to see if i could visually confirm the thread direction...which looked right handed but i think tomorrow i'm gonna run by a hardware store and pick up some iron pipe to use as a cheater bar for the breaker...maybe i'll try it left handed just to make sure.

5. Dana Strong

Dana Strong Lives in an IH Dealership

I strenuously agree. Use a wire brush to clean the threads if you can't easily see their direction.

My '61 had left hand studs/nuts on the left side also. Don't know for sure whether they were stamped "L", but don't think so.

6. Greg R

Greg R Lives in an IH Dealership

dollars to doughnutz they ARE lefties

Left side left handed studs persisted on vehicles clear up to about 1969/1970

7. BritCarJim

BritCarJim Farmall Cub

DING! DING! DING! bingo. that was it. i've got three wheels with right hand threads and a left front wheel with left hand threads. now that i know that, i can work with what i have. anybody have a vote on whether i leave it be and have a warning sticker made or whether i change out one or the other set?

8. BuffScout

BuffScout Farmall Cub

I'd leave them as is......you have a Scout, a unique vehicle, a one of a kind! My wife calls these types of things 'special' and swears it's all part of your Scout's ' personality'!! :D

9. Darrel

Darrel Dreams of Cub Cadets

I worked on a jeep that had 3 left hand and 2 right hand studs on the same wheel. I guess some joker had broke off 2 of the left hand studs and replaced them with right hand. :taz: The original left hand studs had a "L" stamped into them which I highlighted with a paint pen.

Lug nuts are typically marked with L and R's or notches:

[​IMG]

10. Greg R

Greg R Lives in an IH Dealership

Unique and special only goes so far as the next visit to a tire shop and the wrench monkey twists them off.

My 65 Dodge has lefties with fancy nutz, and I AM THERE to see that they get taken care of correctly.

Of course it would be mean trick to play on the next buyer;)

11. Tim Potter

Tim Potter High Wheeler

If it was mine those left hand studs and nuts would be in the trash by now.......

12. David Banner

David Banner High Wheeler

The Willys in my sig is like this. I replaced the studs on the rear axle when I redid the drums but I haven't changed the studs on the front so I've got one wheel with left hand threads--they are stamped with an 'L' on the stud but the nutz aren't marked that I can see... This would be the same dana 25/27 front axle as on an early Scout.

13. guidolyons

guidolyons High Wheeler

Had the same problem with a '48 Willys Jeep I had years ago...after breaking one stud on the left rear wheel, my Dad says, "Maybe they are lefthand threads like on Mom's VW?" Sure enough, there's a L stamped on the end of the stud!

When I got my '65 Scout in 2006---same thing. Left side wheel studs where LH thread. This time I was prepared!

For some reason engineers in the 60s thought the wheel rotation would loosen the lug nuts...at least that's the reason I've heard for the left hand threaded lugs on the left side.

14. Rhodes

Rhodes Farmall Cub

It can, if the lug nuts aren't tightened to a minimum of 20 foot pounds (or if left finger-loose by some idiot monkey at a tire shop, which I've seen happen as recently as last month), so yes, that's the reason. It was found (some research team did some testing back in the 50's or '60's) that lug nuts on the left side of the vehicle would eventually come off, if the studs were normal right-hand threads, where the studs on the right side of the vehicle wouldn't, and in some cases would even tighten back up.

IH and Chrysler weren't the only ones to use left-hand threads on some vehicles, Olds Buick and Pontiac used 'em on most of what rolled off their assembly lines back in the late '50's too.

15. Doc Stewart

Doc Stewart Content Team Staff Member Moderator

I changed a tire on a 1921 White that had the left hand threads on the driver's side so the concept has been around a long time.

16. Rhodes

Rhodes Farmall Cub

Photos of that '21 White, if you please, Sir.

17. Darrel

Darrel Dreams of Cub Cadets

The OP spending 2 hours to get his wheel off got me thinking. :cornfused: Some large left-hand bolts would be a nice theft deterrent for my bumpers and winch. :D:D:D Maybe difficult to source though.

18. David Banner

David Banner High Wheeler

I think fastenal can hook you up pretty quick!

19. Greg704

Greg704 Farmall Cub

my 1967 ih Scout 800 has lef handers in the front driverside.

20. Dana Strong

Dana Strong Lives in an IH Dealership

With Doc's good memory, I wouldn't be surprised if Doc, the truck and even consumer-friendly photography were all fairly new at the time. :D