What inspires you to work on a "stalled" project?

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by rustfreeTX, Sep 23, 2020.

1. rustfreeTX

rustfreeTX Binder Driver

So, I haven't done much on my Scout since March when a friend and I pulled my motor and transmission. Plan was to install my "newly" rebuilt motor which has been sitting almost a year now, but COVID but a damper on things. My friend also moved out of town and we haven't been able to meet up at all. I don't really have any local friends that are into mechanics and I don't dare to take this on by myself as I'd probably break something or hurt myself in the process. So, I'm kinda stuck. Sure I have a bunch of little things I can be doing like cleaning up the engine bay and painting a few things, but then I think, what's the point? It's not like I'm gonna get this thing back together. So, I'm kinda down about it and everytime I look at my Scout in pieces or trip over all the parts that are in the way, it just depresses me more. It's hard to picture it back on the road with an engine that I don't even know if it runs. Anyway, what do Y'all do when you hit a roadblock or get overwhelmed on a project?

2. Jeff Jamison

Jeff Jamison Lives in an IH Dealership

Post up you need help/work weekend .You might get a few people who will come help you,plus maybe some new freinds.Sorry you are to far for me to come for a weekend.

tim vaughan, oneof3k and rustfreeTX like this.
  3. winchested

winchested Y-Block King

Getting away from my wife and kids is a good enough reason for me.

4. mporter52

mporter52 Binder Driver

Post in the Hill Country Binders area here on BinderPlanet. The only thing that motivated me to get this project done was my son didnt want to drive the Scion Xb we had for him. :) BTW, this is a pretty normal thing. The whole project seems just too large. When if you just worked on it consistently you would get it done. I think it took about 20 minutes to drop my engine in once we had it on the hoist.

rustfreeTX likes this.
  5. rustfreeTX

rustfreeTX Binder Driver

:phone::phone:

6. J.J.

J.J. Lives in an IH Dealership

Someone smarter than me once asked me "how do you eat an elephant? answer: one bite at a time. "

Make a list of what you want to get done, even if its something seemingly small, then post it someplace where you can see it easy and mark stuff off as you go.

I also had a friend who was restoring a WWII army jeep. He did the glovebox lid first ( they are really neat with 3 brass plaques riveted to show how to operate the vehicle) and placed it on his desk at work where he could see it every day and not lose track of what needed to be done along with the smaller easy stuff that was inspirational to keep him motivated.

Posting in the Hill Country Binders is a great idea as well, there are several Scouts in your area too as they have a good presence on Instagram.

I understand the over whelmness of the situation, but you will get back on track, keep posting here too and that will probably help your spirit too.

JJ in TN

7. Darrel

Darrel Dreams of Cub Cadets

Pick a daily time to work on it.
    Set an alarm on your phone.
    Take a picture of your progress at the beginning and end of the week for motivation.
    Repeat.

If you find yourself skipping work sessions change the time to 0500 so that it's the first thing you do every day.

rustfreeTX and winchested like this.
  8. Gunfighter97

Gunfighter97 Binder Driver

All of the above, plus don't underestimate yourself. I hadn't ever dreamed I'd be taking a transmission apart at the beginning of this year, now with careful slow work, making sure I understand what needs to be done before I do it, I'm nearly done restoring one. And if I'm still stuck on what to do even with a manual, someone on here usually has the answer. Remember this: a pair of hands made it work once, there's no reason yours can't make it work again. Just do your research, work thoughtfully, don't be afraid to do mockups, and above all, DON'T QUIT! If you get burnt out on something let it go for a couple days and come back fresh, just don't leave it for too long, otherwise you may forget where you left off. . . . also playing some AC DC in the shop while you work helps. . .[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

9. Sammy

Sammy Y-Block King

It pisses me off when I start tripping over all the parts that it's enough to make me go start on it again. But I already have two projects to work on so there's always something that needs to be done. Yeah, turn the 80's hair bands up to 10.

rustfreeTX, Gunfighter97 and Darrel like this.
  10. gillis51

gillis51 Binder Driver

I face the same issue. One of my Scouts has been on a 7 plus year time line under my ownership but the original project started some 30 years earlier by the PO. Mine has been completely stalled for the past 2 years. This winter I will get back into it but even still there is likely another year or two after that until it’s done. So I get where you are coming from.

What motivates and keeps me interested is reading posts on this and other forums, the vision of my build as well as what I know the finished product will look like. During down times I still tinker on one of my other scouts that is a runner and I also organize my parts bins and continually search for other parts scouts or parts that may be better than what I have.

Each day I look at it and am sad I am unable to devote the time now but also realize that some things are more important at this sliver of time knowing the time will come when I can get back to it.

good luck and realize time away doesn’t always mean the death of a project.

kdsmit, sdhachey and rustfreeTX like this.
  11. walkersscout

walkersscout High Wheeler

PM me your contact info, I’ll put you in touch with a buddy of mine who was in the Scout club here before he moved to Austin. He is a pro mechanic, and big into off road.

rustfreeTX likes this.
  12. RinTX

RinTX High Wheeler

It’s tough some days. You have to visualize the end game. Where/what you want the end of the project to look like. Then remember even the little items you complete are another step forward.

rustfreeTX and gillis51 like this.
  13. rustfreeTX

rustfreeTX Binder Driver

Appreciate the advice. I do hate when projects sit too long and you forget how things went back together or where ya left off. I really need to go back to the drawing board, literally. I need to list things out on my whiteboard again and get organized. That transmission looks great by the way!

gillis51 and Gunfighter97 like this.
  14. Gunfighter97

Thanks! Taking LOTS of pictures helps too!

rustfreeTX likes this.
  15. dwengi

dwengi Farmall Cub

Yes! Just getting stuff cleaned up and painted is huge and makes reassembly so much more pleasant.

rustfreeTX and Gunfighter97 like this.
  16. Gunfighter97

Unless you have dip tanks it takes a lot of time but it is worth it.

rustfreeTX likes this.
  17. mporter52

mporter52 Binder Driver

So many hours in the sand blasting cabinet and the wire wheels!!!

rustfreeTX and Gunfighter97 like this.
  18. Gunfighter97

And even more when you lack a blasting cabinet too! I still think its worth it, but I might be a little bit crazy XD

Looking at the finished product makes it worth it.

rustfreeTX likes this.
  19. Patrick Morris

Patrick Morris Lives in an IH Dealership

Maybe it's just me, but sometimes, the thought of having to move (to a new home) unexpectedly in the not so distant future is a good incentivizer. Better to be able to drive your vehicle(s) over there under their own power rather than having to haul a bunch of parts from a stalled project....

And speaking of rust-free. I have a project, a smallish one, that I've started and stopped and started many times. It's a rust-free windshield frame (Scout II) that I've been fiddling with in bursts for about 10 years. I'm finally at the painting stage. It just needs some minor sanding, then another coat of primer, then finally a couple of coats of paint. But I just can't get motivated set up my mini "paint shop", spray guns, etc, get all suited up, and go to work. Sigh.

rustfreeTX likes this.
  20. Ron A

Ron A High Wheeler

Pictures like Gunfighter 97 posted inspire me!