What engine will fit a 1968 1200c single cab?

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by Bearpah1968, Aug 23, 2019.

1. Bearpah1968

Bearpah1968 Farmall Cub

97A0FB10-DBA6-4B31-8655-C2F967F08497.jpeg Looking to make a 1968 a reliable daily driver. What engine will fit in there and what else do I need to know? Thanks for any direction!

2. scoutboy74

scoutboy74 Lives in an IH Dealership

Basically almost anything you have the fabrication skills, budget and desire to install can be made to fit. That's a very open ended answer to an equally open ended question. If you want more detail and specifics, then you'll have to get a lot more explicit about what your goals, skill set, budget, and tools at your disposal. And also give a detailed account of how the truck is presently equipped from stem to stern and why you feel that setup isn't cutting it for you.

Bearpah1968 and scout2000 like this.
  3. Gunfighter97

Gunfighter97 Farmall Cub

The original 304 in my 65 1100 starts right up with 62k miles. To be honest you dont need to venture into fabrication for a reliable engine, just tuning and proper maintenance.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

RinTX and Bearpah1968 like this.
  4. scout2000

scout2000 Dreams of Cub Cadets

Your easiest path is an IH SV engine.

If you choose to deviate, that is not a problem, the IH SV, for its small displacement, is a large and heavy engine.

The best answer, for a non IH SV engine, is going to come from you, and your planned usage for the vehicle. No doubt you've already given this consideration, but you will also need to take into account the remainder of your drive train, or minimally, your transmission and drive shaft.

I see you've been here just over a month. Welcome to Binder Planet.

Bearpah1968 likes this.
  5. jeff campbell

jeff campbell Lives in an IH Dealership

I hope your not pulling your truck around with that strap on the bumper like that ? Put it on the spring !

TheCrazyFarmer and Bearpah1968 like this.
  6. Bearpah1968

Bearpah1968 Farmall Cub

I was pulling it to get the bumper off the body, it was rubbing on the corner. We used a tractor to push it onto a trailer and rolled off once we got it home.

TheCrazyFarmer and jeff campbell like this.
  7. jeff campbell

jeff campbell Lives in an IH Dealership

Oh ok cool. So many truck bumpers get messed up beyond repair that way. Good luck ! Stay ihc

8. Bearpah1968

Bearpah1968 Farmall Cub

I am interested to know the towing/hauling capabilities for the 304. It looks like it’s in good condition. I am a newb. Thinking about building a custom “slide-In” camper and attaching it to a flatbed. Not driving across country but more like finding a place to drop the camper and rely on the IH to be my 4x4 daily driver.

9. Gunfighter97

Gunfighter97 Farmall Cub

The 304 does alright, its not the best, but not the worst either. As far as build quality wise, theyre fairly durrable. The tourque is lower end of rpm, wich helps for towing. I had about 900-1000 lbs of rebar and cement on the back of my half ton (1200 rear suspension/axle) and drove through the fairly steep backroads around my place. I was putting it through its paces and right after a hard curve tried to accelerate through an upshift from 2-3 on a pretty hard grade at low speeds. I hammered it but rpm still went so low I thought Id have to go back down but she climbed put of it amazingly. My only big complaint with the 304 is that it isnt deisel even though its built like one. ;) Although Im wondering if the truck actually thinks it is lol. Reliability wise my rig hadnt been maintained well prior to my ownership, and has had a few issues. One dead battery (my fault), and left to sit for a while fuel drained back into the tank so it took longer to start, fuel pump diaphragm eventually died. I've since rebuilt the pump and am working on adding a better filter, but I'm rebuilding so many things gearing wise I havent fired it up in about 6 or 8 months. With a filter in there, and my battery having long been disconected, I have no doubt I could go start that thing within 5-10 minutes.

10. holyrider

holyrider Farmall Cub

First off, Welcome to the Planet. From what can be seen looks like a decent truck. Always need more pictures and info though. Anyway I'll add my 2 cents. My experience comes from owning a 66 1200 Travelette for 35 years - going through a couple reconfigurations. Ran the original 220 6-cyl for 25 of those years, hauling firewood every year, big loads with racks taller than the cab by 6-8 inches, and pulling a 7000 pound travel trailer for the last couple years - just not very fast - 50 mph on the flat if there was no head wind. This led to me putting in a 345 that a friend had given me and I had sitting around for 17 years. Installed with a carb rebuild and new fuel pump and it fired right up and I took off on a 300 mile trip to a job. Ran very well for 2 years until I replaced it with a 392 so that I could pull my 17000 pound 41ft toy hauler. Still working on this to see how well it does.
    This bit of background to say that I think for your stated purpose of hauling a camper to the hills and local daily driver I think your 304 would be just fine. If you are looking to go 80mph down the freeway then no, though I hate to say it, a modern engine & drivetrain is what you would probably want, although with enough work and gearing an IH drivetrain could be made to do it.
    If your 304 is OK and you decide to stick with it the next major thing I would look at is the axles. I can see a lockring wheel in your picture so you will have the "big-six" lug pattern which presents two potential issues - one is finding a tire shop that will work on the lockring wheels. If you are in a rural area probably not an issue because anywhere there is farm equipment they can deal with these, urban areas - not so much. Number 2 is brake drums - nearly unobtanium and expensive if you find them. If yours are good then they will run for a long time with proper care, if not my recommendation would be a swap to GM 14-bolt rear and 10-bolt front or even better a Dana 60 front if you find one that's not too expensive. Then you can have at least front disc brakes and rear also if desired. Always nice to be able to stop no matter how fast you can go.
    Just my first thoughts.
    Good luck with your project. Oh, and if the engine has not run in a long time, be sure and do the pre-oil procedure which you will find here with a search or maybe it's in the Knowledge Base. I didn't look.
    Anyway Have fun.

Bearpah1968 and Gunfighter97 like this.
  11. Gunfighter97

Gunfighter97 Farmall Cub

I second that. Speed is not in this trucks vocabulary. 80mph might be doable if you had an OD and different ring gears at redline rpm, but like mine, over 65 on a bumpy road can turn into drunk simulator. Suspension geometry would be in play if you like that left lane. That said, mine does 65 comfortably and with some work would probably do 70 (sllllluuuuuuurrrrrrp). Its on 35" tires, 4:10 gears, and a t98, so direct drive 4th gear. Its also getting dual tanks so let that be said lol. Dana 60 rear end would be a good choice, mine has an 8 lug 60 rear and d44 front from later IH. Only downside is they can have hard to find parts.

Bearpah1968 likes this.
  12. mallen

mallen High Wheeler

The 304 will be just fine. What transmission does it have? Does the engine run? If so, stick with what you have. As for the previous comment about speed, I agree. Its a truck. Nowadays we drive trucks like cars and use them for passenger vehicles and they are built with that in mind. Your truck was not. For example, mine WILL go 80mph. However, its not a pleasant experience,and its probably not safe. Its just not made to go that fast. 60mph is about right. I could drop a 420HP Ford Coyote V8 with a tremec 6 speed behind it into a 1210 like mine and you know what that would do to the top speed? Not a damn thing. Because at 80mph it would still feel like its going to fly off the road. On paper it might have a top speed of over 100. But that means nothing if it kills you trying to do it. On the other hand they tuned the engine and geared the transmission and the rear end for hauling. And they do it well. And by that I dont mean you can quickly get up to speed. I mean you get it moving in your lowest gear, then keep the gears low as you haul that massive load up to speed and then sit in the highest gear you can to maintain that speed, and probably have the engine wound up close to redline going over hills. And you do that all day long and the truck is fine becuase thats what it was made for.

Bearpah1968, kdsmit and Gunfighter97 like this.
  13. Chris Cooper

Chris Cooper Farmall Cub

Sadly, the only time I've driven my 1310 was the test drive to see if it could get out of its own way with the 304 it has. I was more than impressed by it: 70-75 easily, even with 4.89's. That engine punches way above its weight, and will work just fine for hauling an Alaskan cabover camper and all the clutter that goes with it. Yours will probably work equally well.

Bearpah1968 likes this.
  14. Bearpah1968

Bearpah1968 Farmall Cub

Bot
    Not sure what tranny, I believe it’s a 4 speed, not sure how to identify the specific one. It ran when parked and is still holding oil. I took the valve covers off, everything looks lubed. It was full of anti freeze. Radiator is getting rebuilt right now. I need to get a starter,the alternator was difficult to spin, carb is getting rebuilt, but everything looks great. My daily driver is a 2000 2wd taco and I am 6’1” so I want to get into a bigger truck, preferably older because I hate power locks and windows and computer crap. I want to be able to work on something and depend on quality craftsmanship. Also wanted this 1200C because it’s 4wd. I’m not into driving fast I live in a rural area in Montana and drive slow. If I travel with this truck I won’t be in a rush. Looking for a nostalgic experience, and a reason to take more time even while driving.

15. Chris Cooper

Chris Cooper Farmall Cub

I think you've got that covered pretty effectively.

Bearpah1968 likes this.
  16. Gunfighter97

Gunfighter97 Farmall Cub

You've come to the right place :D ran when parked however is meaningless. Ran when parked could mean it threw a rod as he turned the key off. Dont trust that. Ever. Personal experience. I have a 46 Dodge pickup project with no compression because the entire valve train is seized open. "Ran when parked." When was "parked" would be my first question(theres also no telling how well or badly it did run when parked). And anti seize??? In the valve train? I might be understanding that wrong but if its copper based flush the oil system out completely. It can react badly with alluminum, namely your pistons wich are obviously in direct contact with oil circulation. If its sat for a period you can count in years, PRE-OIL!!!! Theres a cover on the base of the shifter, take the boot off and unscrew the cover plate, see whats on the top cover of the gear box. Someone may be able to ID it. Also a LST is a great place to start(line setting ticket) it will help evaluate how intact/original your truck is. That and the shop manuals (both volumes) along with the parts amanual, will save you alot (read: millions of years) of time trying to figure things out by finding them on the forums. Trust me I spent two years of IH ownership without them. All of the above is available through IH Parts America (my primary resource) or any of the big IH parts supliers. I shout them out because I've done alot of business in person. Great guys and super helpfull to newbs. Anyways hope that was a bone to chew on, keep the updates coming! Great looking truck.

Bearpah1968 likes this.
  17. Bearpah1968

Bearpah1968 Farmall Cub

I’ll check things out tonight, he parked because of a clutch issue. He’s friends with my ranch employer and his son is trying to clean the place up and sold me the truck. I meant the engine had coolant when I pulled the radiator. So I took that as a good sign, no freezing during the winters. Thanks!

18. mallen

mallen High Wheeler

You should get the LST for your truck. It lists everything that came on it from the factory. (But that may have changed over the years as previous owners swapped things in and out) Im going to make a wild ass guess that you might have a T18. There are two kinds of those. One has a really steep first gear. 6.something to 1. You dont start off in that "Granny gear" unless your carrying a big load , like a 7000lb travel trailer or a bed full of gravel. Or if your in 4-low and crawling over rocks. A freind of mine said that his uncle would put D series truck in 4L, put it in first and the truck would drive down the row of tobacco at a slow walking speed. They would then leave it without a driver, in gear and moving on its own while people walked beside it harvesting the tobacco, handing it to a guy standing in the bed who would hang it from a rack. (im sure that was perfectly safe)

Gunfighter97 and Bearpah1968 like this.
  19. Bearpah1968

Bearpah1968 Farmall Cub

Haha! Awesome! It has a steep granny gear!

20. mallen

mallen High Wheeler

Then Im guessing (and I may be wrong,as it is a guess) that you have a wide ratio T18. Solid tranny. The higher RPM range of the 304 will probably be more natural for people used to modern engines. But it still drives like a dump truck,a and sounds like an old school bus, because IH SV engines are what power old dump trucks and school buses.

Chris Cooper and Bearpah1968 like this.