we are the champions (spark plugs)

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by scoutman800, Oct 18, 2006.

1. scoutman800

scoutman800 Y-Block King

okay, i've been the anti-champion plug guy. replaced distributor cap and rotor yesterday, no go, so swapped in new plugs. AZ had chumpy-ones in stock so i did them. gotta admit it fired up so quick it made me jump. being that it was pretty loaded up i thought it would crank a few times. so i'm giving the champions a shot, even though i've not had good luck with them in the past.

2. Jeff Jamison

Jeff Jamison Lives in an IH Dealership

Tom
    They are all I will run,have had problems with almost every thing else.I change them every 25,000 miles.rj12yc.
    Jeff

3. George Womack

George Womack Y-Block King

I run Champions in my Harley and all my Scouts. Never had a problem.

4. scoutman800

scoutman800 Y-Block King

glad to hear this. i did take it for the proverbial test run today. rock and rolled when i kicked in the secondaries. the old plugs were my NGKs and the bad fuel fouled them, think it would have trashed any plugs. they were gettin' old anyway. at this point i'm running the champs and will swap em out every other year. that should amount to about 12000 miles max as much as i get to drive it.

5. Doc Stewart

Doc Stewart Content Team Staff Member Moderator

Got my first IH V8 in '78. It ATE sparkplugs! Couldn't get 10.000 miles without changing plugs. Tried everybody's plugs. Finally installed an MSD ignition module and Blaster coil. The failing plugs perked right up and ran another 40,000 miles before changing them out. Been an MSD fan ever since.

6. Nevada S. Smith

Nevada S. Smith Farmall Cub

Speaking of plugs, does anyone know if E3 has an IH application? And if so, has anyone tried them? I put autolites in last time, but don't have much milage on them.

7. jeff campbell

jeff campbell Lives in an IH Dealership

whats E-3?jeff

8. scoutman800

scoutman800 Y-Block King

seems like i checked for E3s and no apps yet. got em for your scout if you have a jeep six.... www.e3sparkplugs.com/
    doc, ya got me thinking about putting my MSD back in..........

9. Nevada S. Smith

Nevada S. Smith Farmall Cub

E3s are the newest "gucci" spark plug brand, it has a different design. I was just wondering if any one has used them to see if the performance=the big $$ they cost, but they don't have a application for IH. Oh well, more money to through at the bottomless fuel tank!!

10. scoutman800

scoutman800 Y-Block King

okay doc, you got me to put the MSD back in. didn't think i'd see that much difference till i hit the key. wouldn't start! duh. gotta hook up the ground wire too. after that it fired up and idled great. sounds like a race scout when i rev it. glad i put it back in. might go for an offroad 6 unit someday soon.

11. Brian K.

Brian K. Binder Driver

I saw those E-3 plugs at the store the other day.....I picked up a box to look at them. They are another "Splitfire" rip off, some bizzare looking electrode and that's about it. They also have "bling" chrome plating (which doesn't dissipate heat well) and they are made in China.

Hell of a business......some joker chrome plates the cheapest possible Chinese sparkplug, splits the electrode, and sells them for $6.00 each.

I'd avoid them at any cost.

12. corncrasher

corncrasher Farmall Cub

I have never been a big champion fan, I allways figured they were only good enough for lawn mowers and dodges. I have tried every thing in my scout and the champions are working great so either I was wrong or I need to put the scout into the lawn mowers and dodges catagory.

13. scoutman800

scoutman800 Y-Block King

i'm still more of a fan of the NGKs. the Vpowers have served me well over the years and will probably go back in next change. might change my mind by then, never know. the MSD sure made a big difference in cold start/idle performance.

14. Paul "Misterfixit" Schulz

Paul "Misterfixit" Schulz Super Mod from Downunder Staff Member Administrator Moderator

I don't even put champion plugs in my lawn mower! mine has an NGK in it, the dodge, well thats another question lol. :D

15. Erik VanRenselaar

Erik VanRenselaar Y-Block King

I tried the Champion RJ12YC plugs in my Scout, but they lasted almost 20K miles before the center electrode was heavily eroded. The Champions did perform better than the Autolite 303 plugs that I put in there when I first got the truck. I'm currently using Bosch Platinum (standard style) plugs in it, and they seem to resist minor oil fouling (upon startup) well.
    For the *furrin* cars, they normally get NGK, but ND has worked well in the past, too.

16. Dave Nuenke

Dave Nuenke High Wheeler

I almost religiously use Autolite 85's in my SV motors. They seem to hold up well and haven't given me a problem. I do have one truck that has champions in it at the moment becasue I was in the middle of a tuneup and realized that the parts store here in town doesn't keep 85's in stock (or should I change that to used to not, after I ordered six boxes, I think Tom decided to keep a few on the shelf). In short the champions have done fine for me, haven't put a ton of miles on that truck, but it sure seemed to run ok. In short I'm still sticking with my Autolites, but wouldn't hesitate to run Champions again if a similar situation arose.

Dave