Ways to heat a siezed engine?

Discussion in 'The Truck Stop' started by IHarvM3h4, Apr 30, 2018.

1. Dana Strong

Dana Strong Y-Block King

Which site is that? Any link to an interesting (and perhaps thread-related) topic there?

2. kevingweq

kevingweq High Wheeler

Dana, Here is one of the welding sites KoO posts on , (I'm sure there is others ) http://weldingweb.com/forum.php

I have read some fascinating and quite technical threads on freeing stuck engines over on smokstak ,

3. Dana Strong

Dana Strong Y-Block King

Have you ever looked at This Thread at the first site? It was supposed to start where Post 11 is (when two threads were combined), but the moderator got things reversed. It used to be the third-most viewed thread on site, may still be.
    I have some old copies from Smokestack, back when it was just a hardcopy magazine.
    Biggest engine I own and freed was a one-lunger with 6.5" piston and 32" flywheels, but it had no rust or corrosion so was fairly easy.

4. kevingweq

kevingweq High Wheeler

Never knew that about the Stak, will have to be on the lookout for some original issues

Have a 1930'ish T20 IH crawler with a 4 cylinder gas engine ( ballbearing crankshaft mains) ,When first acquired it was stuck pretty tight
    with water down the exhaust etc, after popping the head off I decided it needed to come completely apart , Then I found this
    View attachment 149147

My best guess is at some time in its life it was stuck (but good) . Then someone decided they would pull it with a much bigger machine and try
    to break it loose , Well there is what happened :1eye:

t20 internal4 (612x1024).jpg
    t20 internal6.jpg
    T20 unstuck2 (1024x612).jpg

Last edited: May 27, 2018
    stroker3 likes this.
  5. Dana Strong

Dana Strong Y-Block King

Is that looking at a bent rod, with the bottom of the piston showing on the top right? A bit less magnification might help.

Did you check out the thread I linked to in my post above? Saturday night should allow enough time to do it justice.

6. kevingweq

kevingweq High Wheeler

I downsized the pic above and added a couple more , This may help orient the view

I made it about halfway through your linked thread so far Dana, :1eye: very entertaining

7. Dana Strong

Dana Strong Y-Block King

In the first picture, what had first looked like a lifter (without close inspection though) is now clearly a cam lobe. Is there enough good material in the cylinders to just rebore them?

I was rather pleased at the interest in and additions to that W.W thread; my contribution started at Post 11. I really need to go back and add a few new pictures of older machines I 'recently' acquired; even if they aren't super great models, one is an old Lincoln classic and the other was used building some great equipment.

BTW, you might consider cleaning that piston 'assembly' in oxalic or phosphoric acid and put it on display...

8. kevingweq

kevingweq High Wheeler

The cylinders ( wet sleeves) have been replaced with better used ones ( cleaned ridge reamed,and honed, resealed ) , The engine has been
    mostly renewed and refreshed , The lower end is going back together , However my Travelall kinda took center stage for the past few years :1eye:
    I have been using my electrolysis tank to clean up a few pieces and parts lately though,

few pics ( after cleaning ) of main clutch pressure plate
    thermo clutch (2).jpg thermo clutch (3).jpg thermo clutch.jpg

and a few of a genuwine IH early 30's thermostat and housing
    thermo clutch (6).jpg thermo clutch (7).jpg

9. Mustang

Mustang Farmall Cub

Had to pull the head off an old international in a 1950 Cleveland ditching machine a year or two ago. It was stuck so bad it took two of us to get it unstuck- one with a ten on sledge and the other with a four foot cheater. I told thing those pistols are extra thick! A little honework,new head gasket and a couple of valves and she s still chugging along. Does anybody remember what model the engines are that start on gas then switch to diesel?

10. Mustang

Mustang Farmall Cub

And does anybody know how to turn auto correct off on a tablet?

11. walkersscout

walkersscout High Wheeler

I would love to learn that for all my devices!

12. walkersscout

walkersscout High Wheeler

THIS is exactly why much earlier in this thread I said to not monkey with it overmuch and pull the head!

13. Mustang

Mustang Farmall Cub

I agree - if I can't soak it for a week and get it free then I just pull the head,mainly cause of its that bad it's probably going to need a hone, but op was asking ways to to free it without pulling the head. I do think that the next one I get that's locked up i am going to try some of that evap o rust in the cylinders though. I never used it for that,but it's worked well for other things, so who knows? Has any body else tried it?

14. CoopVA

CoopVA Binder Driver

Saw a video from the Wheels Through Time museum and they put a hot plate under seized motorcycle motors and once the engine warmed up they got them freed...

15. IHarvM3h4

IHarvM3h4 Farmall Cub

Found 3 bent pushrods as I was removing the cylinder head. 3 of the 6 pistons were seized. One of them freed up with a 2x3 and a hammer the others I had no luck with YET but will try again tomorrow. The cylinders really dont look all that bad.
    IMG_20180601_145513.jpg IMG_20180601_163232.jpg

16. Mustang

Mustang Farmall Cub

You 'll get em. Any luck finding gaskets? I am guessing you pulled the crank as well??

17. IHarvM3h4

IHarvM3h4 Farmall Cub

The gaskets are hard to find as a complete set I have looked everywhere but ended up finding some through ebay one at a time. Yea no the crank isnt coming out on this one. Get it all freed up clean the cylinder bores and run it.

18. Mustang

Mustang Farmall Cub

Glad you found them. There is a place out here in Odessa that makes just about any gasket you need. Found some for the gas/diesel I did up in Oregon or wasington. Maybe you can teach me something new. Unless you are driving them from the bottom past the rust ring,and haven't pulled the crank then how are you freeing them one at a time?

19. rotak

rotak Farmall Cub

I'm in a similar sort of boat (thread over on triple-diamond forum) with my SD240--I'm more or less where you're at now. Are you driving the pistons out through the top with the rods disconnected from the crank?

20. IHarvM3h4

IHarvM3h4 Farmall Cub

I haven't been on here in a while because of other projects but I will try and keep up on the IH build. Yes I had to disconnect the rods and drive them up down and just about sideways with lots of penetrating oil. There was a bunch of junk in where the rings are and they were stuck right in so I had to work them carefully to get them to come out from the crank side. The engine I am working on is still in the truck so the crank is still in the engine. The problem I was having is two pistons were stuck and one was at the top of the cylinder and the other was at the bottom of the cylinder which didn't help because the crank wasn't putting all of the pressure straight on the piston like if it were half way in the cylinder. A couple pics also
    IMG_20180710_191143.jpg IMG_20180710_191309.jpg