Warn Overdrive ??'s

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by Albuq. Henry, Feb 28, 2014.

1. Albuq. Henry

Albuq. Henry Binder Driver

I have this overdrive. Anyone famiilier with them, I have a feeling i am missing a gear and maybe some brackets for the shifter. Would it be worth it to try to source the missing parts?? The pics show all that is there.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. guidolyons

guidolyons High Wheeler

Check with Herm the Overdrive Guy:

http://hermtheoverdriveguy.com/?page_id=883

His website is mostly Jeep stuff but he knows a lot about the various overdrives (Warn/Saturn/Borg Warner, etc) parts and rebuilds, too.

3. Robert Kenney

Robert Kenney Binder Driver

You're missing the bowl gear and syncro ring.
    It'll need to be the right one with the same tooth and spline count as the Xfer it'll mate to.
    IIRC it is a 29 tooth bowl and bull gear on a scout 80 t18 with the 6 spline socket. Saturn(Advanced adapters) should have them.

The bowl gear also contains the planitary gear assembly for the OD ratio. They ride on the little pinion you have sticking out .

Last edited: Feb 28, 2014
  4. Albuq. Henry

cool thanks, gives me a place to look and name of the part to look for...

5. silvernovacars

silvernovacars Farmall Cub

nice score, if it came out of a scout 80, maybe you can get the gear and the syn, Herm can help you out a lot. Remember it fits a t18. Its well worth it, specially with 4:27 gears. That's were I got mine. I can do 55/60 with no problem and it's not stressing the motor. Plus I'm running 16 inch rims.

Trent

6. Stan Lazeski

Stan Lazeski Farmall Cub

If I recall, Herm has the overdrive installation instructions on his website and I think a parts breakdown as well. I have two of these OD"s but have never had one installed on a Scout I am driving. Stan

7. J.J.

J.J. Lives in an IH Dealership

The Warn tooling was sold to Advance Adapters several years ago. I was able to buy replacement parts for mine from them. You might also check their website.

You are definitely missing parts. It replaces the main drive gear on the back of the T90. It bolts right into the access hole on the transfer case. Basically two major parts. The planatary drive gear that you seem to be missing as well as brackets. The drive gear replaces the main drive gear (this has tightens up using a 3/8 in socket extension), and the part that you have here slides onto that part. There is also a narrow skinny "oil trough" as it uses the splash of the gears to keep the outer part lubricated, so you never, ever want your transfer case to run low on gear oil. An old trick I learned back in the day was to jack up the passenger side and then fill it as you could get about 1/2 pint more in that way.

Its a great thing to have, congrats on the score!

JJ in TN

8. Sammy

Sammy Y-Block King

Doesn't say but there is also a square snap ring that goes in thru the back once the planetary is snugged down to keep it from backing out and destroying the unit. Good point on jacking up the pass. side to keep the oil level high, too much there can't hurt.

9. J.J.

Yes on the snap ring.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The beautiful thing about this unit is that there are no driveshaft mods. As it bolts right into the back of the transfer case, it is a true overdrive in ALL gears, even reverse.

Here is what your shifter looks like (missing parts):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Basically you remove this cover from the back of the transfer case:

[​IMG]

Remove this gear from the back of the transmission:

[​IMG]

Slide the planatary gear into the transfer case, the end replaces the gear shown above (You are missing this part):

[​IMG]

another view showing the internals (this is a parts one, so there are supposed to be four gears on the inside, one is missing):

[​IMG]

Torque it down to spec (memory serves it is pretty stout, I want to say 120-140 ft lbs)

Install snap ring.

Slide your outer part in:

[​IMG]

Be sure and use blue sealer on the long bolts. It WILL leak if you don't.

Drive and enjoy.

Herm can probably give you more in depth instructions than this, I would only use this as a guide, it is not intended to provide technical data.

I will say also that when I put mine together the last time, I couldn't get the outer piece on, I tried and tried, so I finally gave up and called the 800 Tech Line. The tech told me and it was something like this "I didn't tell you to do this, and will deny it if it ever comes up, but you might have to *coax* it onto the shaft with a rubber mallet. Don't whale away on it, be gentle". He was right, I did and it worked like a charm.

Good timing on this as mine is currently apart while the T90 is being rebuilt.

JJ in TN

10. Albuq. Henry

excellent post, Thank you!

11. Mark Pietz

Mark Pietz High Wheeler

JJ did say his posting was only meant as a guide, so let me add this in helpful clarification…there's at least one part missing. I had exactly this same setup at one time, so after you torque down that internal nut to 150 ft/lbs, there is a special washer with a protruding tab that goes against that nut. There is a hole punched into its center and the flash that protrudes forward is to engage the eight-point hole in the center of that nut. So this washer is to prevent the nut from backing off by "locking" the nut to the gear case through the protruding tab. I'd simply stick the washer on the end of my finger and poke it in there and futz with it until I got it all lined up. In the pic with the planet gears (one is missing, btw) you can just make out the three pockets for that tab in the gear body - at about the 11, 3, and 7 o'clock positions. You may need to back off the nut a bit to line up that tab. THEN the square snap ring thingie goes in after that.

For informational purposes, not shown in these posts, there is also a thick beveled washer that fits on the snout of the big gear and goes up against the back of the transmission's rear bearing, or possibly the shoulder on the rear of that output shaft (plus this is for a T18 and not a T90?). In any case, that washer stays in place via two small hardened-steel roll pins, but once bolted up I'm not certain if they actually do anything. Earlier versions used tiny bolts to hold it in place. Each time I removed mine (I had a lot of problems with my T90 - that's another story), those roll pins would be sheered, so I don't believe they are really useful, but getting the pieces out required a trip to a shop with EDM capability.

Anyway, this overdrive is really cool for splitting gears and I can only imagine how much more useful attached to a four speed.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2014
  12. J.J.

Mark Pietz,
    Pardon me, but I did clarify that there was a gear missing and that it should be used as a GUIDE only!!!

Read my post!

JJ in TN

13. Mark Pietz

Mark Pietz High Wheeler

JJ,
    I did read it, but I apologize for not clarifying your clarification in my post. :oops: It's now fixed.

14. Albuq. Henry

Here is my update... Thanks for everyones input!

I just finished converstaions with Herm, turns out the parts I am missing are the expensive parts. After he saw my pics he said I have about $40 of value. That being in the housing and shift fork. To buy the parts im missings would be in the $800 range....

15. Stan Lazeski

Stan Lazeski Farmall Cub

If you decide to sell it for parts, or part it out, I am interested. Thanks Stan