Waldron's Exhaust

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by David Dixon, Aug 15, 2015.

1. David Dixon

David Dixon High Wheeler

The traveler's pipes are full of small holes and one of the mufflers has had it so I ponied up the big bucks and put in an order at Waldron's a month or so ago. (http://www.waldronsexhaust.com) All stainless. Up here in Maine you don't get much service life out of aluminized steel. They shipped them through Fastenal, who have apparently been sitting on them for a long while. I finally got curious and called Waldrons, Fastenal called me back and they dropped them off the next day. When I put my order in they were backordered on mufflers, some shop makes them for them to order. So one of the mufflers will get shipped UPS at the end of this week. Not sure when I will get around to installing them as I am busy getting ready to move to the big city for grad school in a few weeks, but I am planning to drive the traveler through the fall and winter so I need to get to it soon. Here are the goods:
    [​IMG]
    I also picked up a new O2 sensor and bung from Summit Racing.

2. David Dixon

David Dixon High Wheeler

Yeah, I guess its time for an update. Sorry for the delay. :rolleyes:

Here is what I'm working on:
    [​IMG]
    The Traveler has sat for a few years. :no:
    I have been driving the diesel rig and haven't had time (or $$) to attend to it. Now the time has come to pay for my sins. A while ago I pulled the distributor and cranked the oil pump before firing her up. She sputtered to life and did a few laps around the yard. Running very rough, will need a tune up. Then gasoline started leaking - pouring really - out of the bottom of the tank. The other day I pushed and winched her into the garage and got her up on the hoist.

Not much left of the ol' dual exhaust pipes:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And the gas tank is still dripping from a patch in the bottom of it...
    [​IMG]
    Maybe I won't use the torch today...
    [​IMG]
    One of the passenger side donut flange bolts was a b!&@%. I had to grind a box wrench down to fit it over the nut, which is too close to the manifold to allow a socket or a wrench. Aside from that, the old pipes didn't offer much resistance. Out with the old:
    [​IMG]
    A new 33 gallon tank is on order. I should get some time in the next few days to install the new pipes. First task will be to scrape all the flaking off undercoating from the frame and under surface of the bed and coat them with zinc before the new pipes go back up. That may keep me busy for a few hours. In most places the undercoating flakes right off leaving only light surface rust behind, but in a few spots I will likely have to run the heat gun and patiently scrape away a lot of goo. The undercarriage is not nearly as rusted as it looks at first glance, the undercoating has a film of rust on it that makes it orange instead of black and it is peeling like rust scale. Underneath is very solid clean frame, axel housing, and bed steel. The rear quarter panels are in a sad state though, but thats a subject for a different thread...

Last edited: Aug 2, 2018
  3. David Dixon

David Dixon High Wheeler

Will post installation details and photos upon completion.... is that 40 characters????

4. David Dixon

David Dixon High Wheeler

Will post installation details and photos upon completion.... is that 40 characters????

5. Mark Pietz

Mark Pietz High Wheeler

This looks like a pretty good deal and the price (posted on the link) looks decent, too. Hope this all works as expected!

6. dan1500

dan1500 Binder Driver

Any updates on this? I'm curious how they fit.

7. David Dixon

David Dixon High Wheeler

bump. Turns out editing a post doesn't move it up the feed.