Vibration???

Discussion in 'Old Dominion Binders Association' started by trebman, Sep 2, 2003.

1. trebman

trebman Farmall Cub

Apparently the Scout hasn't had enough attention this year, new floors, supports, body mounts, rockers, quarters, etc. Now it wants more :rolleyes:

I've noticed in the last week or so a vibration while accelerating. I've checked rear axle bearings, front wheel bearings, and have shaken the heck out of the driveshaft u-joints. Can't seem to get a handle on what it might be. I'm leaning toward u-joints, when Bubba's went out they caused a similar vibration and swapping them out cured the problem. Luckly NAPA has three in stock, figure I'll try that next. If you guys have any ideas, let me know. We're going to Nationals, vibration, or no vibration!

2. atlantascoutfan

atlantascoutfan Binder Driver

Hmmm... Perhaps the u-joints aren't "bad" but rather just a bit misaligned? Sometimes the bolts get a little loose, a joint slips over a little and you begin to notice vibration on acceleration or deceleration. I've seen it several times, and it's easy to miss because it isn't a glaring problem (and the joint itself is usually fine when you rattle/twist-check it).

3. Tom McMillion

Tom McMillion Farmall Cub

Larry,

You haven't had to completely remove the driveshaft at any point have you? The only thing I can think of other than what you mentioned, is the driveshaft being out of phase, i.e. turned 180 degrees when if it was removed and was not put back on with the same orientation as before?

Just a thought. Probably not your problem.

4. trebman

trebman Farmall Cub

Tom,
    I had thought of that, but the last time I had the driveshaft out was last winter, and this problem has just surfaced.

Alan,
    Definitely something to check, think I'll swing through NAPA tomorrow and pick up the u-joints they have, just in case I find one bad when I drop the driveshaft.

Thanks Guys!

5. trebman

trebman Farmall Cub

Found the Problem!

Front U-joint on the rear driveshaft, just finished swapping out both U-joints. The front is going to have to wait till after Nats, NAPA only had the three U-joints in stock. At least I found the problem:)

Attached Files:

6. trebman

trebman Farmall Cub

Another pic of the damage!

Attached Files:

7. Tom McMillion

Tom McMillion Farmall Cub

It's no wonder the thing wore out after all those times the bottom of your truck has been buried in mud and water. :D LOL!

Glad you found the problem.

8. HIBINDER

HIBINDER Farmall Cub

Rawley Springs strikes again

Yo Lightweight,
    Glad ya found the problem! Don't you know the famous stanky mud from Rawley don't only sceerew up wheel bearings, but also has been known to gernade a few u-joints.:p That funny lookin' thing stickin' out of the side of the joint is a *GREASE FITTIN"* If you put ya some grease in this every once and a while, it pushes the stanky water out, and keeps the joint lubricated!:eek: :p

hehehe
    Don't be gettin mad, now...I'm only foolin' about.

See "youze guys" Friday:cool:

9. trebman

trebman Farmall Cub

Yah! Yah! Yah!

I know, Tom you're right, as many times as my rig is in mud and water, it's no darn wonder the U-joints are bad. Amazingly it is the only drivetrain part that I haven't swapped out on this rig. I guess you just kinda forget about them. Not anymore!

and Eddie.... yes I know what that funny thing sticking out the side is! :rolleyes: at least I think I do!:p

I so want to be on the road right now, I'm really looking forward to this road trip to Nats. Tadpole must be at the season opener for the Redskins tomorrow night in DC, her JROTC unit is helping out at the stadium, otherwise we would be heading out tomorrow.

Seee yyyoooossee allll Fridayyyyyy..............