Vehicle shipping - transport

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by navypilot, Jan 30, 2017.

1. navypilot

navypilot Farmall Cub

Hey everyone, tomorrow I am going to go check out a 1960 Travelall. It is located about 900 miles from my house. The price is right and I'm considering taking the plunge.

For those of you that have transported a vehicle, do you have any tips and do you have any contact info you'd like to share?? Thanks ahead of time!

2. BigRigg

BigRigg Y-Block King

I used uship.com to move 2 1210s from cali to ark. I was impressed by the move. Very easy to deal with. Depending on where your moving cars from and to, there is a guy here who specializes in ih. Triple diamond transport is the company. I would have used him, but he was not heading our west at the time. I hope your able to give another IH a good home!

gwinter1129 likes this.
  3. Randall Barringer

Randall Barringer Y-Block King

Jeff Bade likes this.
  4. Randall Barringer

Randall Barringer Y-Block King

I used U-Ship to move my IH fridge from New Mexico to Baton Rouge. I'd use them again.

5. navypilot

navypilot Farmall Cub

6. scout2000

scout2000 Dreams of Cub Cadets

900 miles is quite a distance, and regardless of price, I can only assume that this Travelall must already be something pretty special to you, based solely on your plan for a long distance transport.

I also see that you already have, at least a couple of transport companies that others have successfully used.

I'm more of a conservative person, and, in attempting to put myself in your shoes, finding a dream vehicle 900 miles away, I believe that I would personally approach this in one of two ways.

* I'm blessed that I have multiple friends that have both full sized 1-ton trucks and trailers that could be used to trailer a vehicle home. If at all possible, I would do my best to utilize this method.

* if, for some option, plan A fell thru, and I did have to do a transport company, I would do everything in my power to take a day or two off of work, be on site when the transport company arrived for vehicle pickup, then follow them back home in my own personal vehicle, taking documentation pictures along the way.

I am intentionally playing the "devil's advocate" role here, or possibly better put, the "prophet of disaster" role.

I am not suggesting that the forum archives are full of bad transport stories, they isn't. That said, there are many stories where transportation went bad, or, someone purchased a "restored" Binder site-unseen over the Internet. It is a pain I do not wish upon anyone.

I believe that it has been 4 or 5 years since Stu Simpson has been active here, regardless, Stu shares a tale of caution here, that in my eyes, is timeless.

http://www.binderplanet.com/forums/index.php?threads/possible-sighting-of-my-stolen-6-speed.48258/

Please be careful & cautious in getting your new prize home. Once safe and secure at home, please share lots of pic. We are all excited to see your new find.

Good Luck,

Dana Strong likes this.
  7. MrKenmore

MrKenmore Y-Block King

Attached Files:

8. stroker3

stroker3 Lives in an IH Dealership

9. Dana Strong

Dana Strong Lives in an IH Dealership

scout2000 likes this.
  10. Jeff Bade

Jeff Bade Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator

As far as transporting IH, there isn't anyone else you should be trying before them.
    Even if you found something slightly cheaper, it's not worth it.

11. cleptomam

cleptomam Farmall Cub

Shipped a 68 TA from Boise to Pittsburgh. $1400.

Watch the shady outfits, particularly in southern florida that are brokers. Some will lie and promise anything and then not deliver. If you want date certain or more specific timing, price goes up. You may find that out AFTER a deposit has been put down. Also, there is some debate on if a pre deposit is legal or ethical. Basically I put $100 down with a low rent out fit, only to tell them to pound sand, and moved to another more reputable carrier. Of course that fine quality broker then tried to bully me into using their service anyway. It got a little ugly but in the end, another carrier moved the truck. Just watch and read the reviews. Ask questions. Dont get bullied by a broker. Hold out on any deposits until completely comfortable with the carrier. If you have time to wait, you got the leverage over them.

12. navypilot

navypilot Farmall Cub

Gentlemen,

Thank you for the recommendation's as well as the sobering reminder to be cautious with my choices. I did decide to go ahead and get the vehicle and I will be starting a thread on it shortly on the Binder Builds part of the forum. I'm stoked to have my 2nd IH. @Randall Barringer was right. It's a sickness.

I will definitely be proceeding with caution and taking the advice to be careful and pick a reputable mover. I'll start with triple diamond. Thanks again!!!

Randall Barringer likes this.
  13. jtorre4272

jtorre4272 High Wheeler

First off, my girlfriend is a less than load (LTL) transportation contract negotiator for XPO,,,Formerly Conway, Inc. Major carrier of commercial goods throughout the country. She filled me in on all the ins and outs of shady brokers, u-ship users, and contractors who make false bids and claims on the broker boards. The business itself seems incredibly shady and she warned me. I took her advice after I got so many absurd replies via u-ship from people who had no business using that site.

I ended up with Intercity lines. http://www.intercitylines.com/ I paid more, but got an enclosed carrier, courteous service from CA, good insurance for damage, a beautiful truck to pick up my rig with top notch hoists, everything was exactly as expected. No brokers. And never again will I use a broker. These guys act like they have an office with staff, but in fact, it's just a dude with a laptop on his couch.

Reliable is another good carrier. If you have the money to pay for it, an enclosed hauler by a company specializing in antiques and exotics is certainly the way to go. I have no regrets.

-Joe

14. Fred Demmon

Fred Demmon Y-Block King

If triple diamond is close to you sounds like he'll be home after drop off
    Where are you going to and from?
    My brother hauls boats/campers/airplanes ect all over. He doesn't do vehicles unless they are all ready on a trailer.
    He works for Horizon out of NW Indiana. Might check with them if triple diamond is unavailable

Disclaimer- I have never used them and would like to hear if anyone here has had experience with Horizon....good or bad

15. navypilot

navypilot Farmall Cub

The vehicle is going to be going from just north of Norfolk, VA to Fairhope, AL (jus outside of Pensacola). If anyone is interested that's awesome! Just PM me. :)

16. Darrel

Darrel Dreams of Cub Cadets

Sling it under the chopper! :)

Seriously, pirate4x4.com has a hauling section that's worth posting on. Also if you can't check it out personally maybe a forum member can help out, or hire a local body man or mechanic.

navypilot likes this.
  17. navypilot

navypilot Farmall Cub

Thanks! Yes I'm in Norfolk and went to see it last night. I got it started and it looks great. The dude I am buying it from is a real stand up guy. I'll check out the pirate guys. Thanks for the heads up.

18. navypilot

navypilot Farmall Cub

I want to finish off this thread. I spoke with Triple Diamond and he was a great dude. Since my vehicle isn't running, we couldn't get my rig on the truck. I ended up finding a broker who lives near me. He essentially contracts the work out to drivers all over the US. The trip from Norfolk to Pensacola is costing me $625. The guy is going to pick up the vehicle next week. Here is a shameless plug for him. Outrigger Trucking: 850-932-9077.

Cheers!

19. scout2000

scout2000 Dreams of Cub Cadets

Thank you for keeping us up to date.

It seems if you are killing your thread off prematurely.

Would you consider posting a summary once the transport is complete, and your vehicle is (hopefully safe and sound) in Pensacola?

stroker3 likes this.
  20. navypilot

navypilot Farmall Cub

Oh yes, absolutely. I am definitely hoping for the best. I will report back with full details.

stroker3 likes this.