Vapor Storage Canister Help

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by NorCalMike, Aug 8, 2019.

1. NorCalMike

NorCalMike Farmall Cub

I am new to the Binder Planet Forums. I just bought my first Scout in June and am trying to get it running, smogged and registered. My 1978 Scout 2 has a 345, 2 barrel 2210 carburetor, and 727 trans. It has not been driven in 15 years and was last registered in 1998. I have it running but need to get smogged before I can register and enjoy it. I live in California so I have the challenge passing that overly strict smog test which includes a visual inspection of all the emission control parts.

I have the 345 running nicely now. I am missing a few emissions components that prevent me from passing a smog test though.

The vapor storage canister the Scout came with is not the one described in the manual. Mine has only two ports and no bottom vent. I am looking to buy one with 4 ports like the one on my emissions sticker (purge port, vapor separator port, carb bowl port and control vacuum signal port) like the manual says i should have. I can find aftermarket canisters but they usually only have 3 ports (I think it is the vacuum signal port that is missing on them). Is there a source for the 4 port canisters? What have you all done to get around this?

I am also missing the Vacuum Solenoid Valve that bolts to the firewall and controls the throttle modulator (which also has a leak) I have never found anything close to a replacment part for this solenoid. Is there a source for this CA only part?

Any help is much appreciated.

2. Patrick Morris

Patrick Morris Lives in an IH Dealership

Welcome. There was a very recent thread on those canisters and where they can be bought now. Chrysler might be a manufacturer. Anyway just do a search.

And that dealie on the firewall, probably one of the Light Line dealers will have one for you. Shame that you have to have one since the do so little for emissions.

And for god’s sake stay away from scoutparts dot com.

3. jeff campbell

jeff campbell Lives in an IH Dealership

I have the new 3 port charcoal canisters. But you need 1 where the 4th port has the little round diaphragm on it , correct ? If so, I believe they're obsolete ? Never seen any anywhere for sale. Have you googled them yet ? I do know there's a thread on Here with a pic of 1. I seen it a few weeks ago.

Attached Files:

4. Bussy

Bussy High Wheeler

I’ve got both of what you need. Send me a PM and we can go from there.

jeff campbell likes this.
  5. Patrick Morris

Bussy to the rescue....

BTW Mike, that thing that's supposed to go on the firewall, it's called the Throttle Deceleration Module, or TDM. If anyone asks you.

6. NorCalMike

NorCalMike Farmall Cub

Thanks for all the quick responses. Yea it is a shame that I need the Throttle Deceleration Module. I may try to get past smog without it but I am looking for the vapor canister to cut down on the gas smell.

Yes the vapor canister that the manual says I need is the one with the diaphragm on the top. If I get the one with only three ports how do i hook up all the vacuum lines? I need to hook up the vapor separator from the fuel tank, the carb bowl vent, and the vaccuum line from the back of the carb.

Do I need the vacuum activated purge valve (it sits in the line between the purge fitting on the canister and the EGR vacuum line.

7. Patrick Morris

Do you have a sticker under the hood showing all the vacuum hoses etc.? It would show all the stuff you need. What you need under the hood anyway. And Bussy said he has the right kind of canister for you.

The tester may or may not know which is the correct canister anyway. They won't test it at any rate. It'll just be part of the visual inspection, and the visual test only checks that everything is in place and no hoses or wires are disconnected. They don't test function of the little components, unless the guy's being overly thorough. Beyond the visual and the gas tanks stuff (see below) they only care about what comes out the tailpipe. BTW, I assume you will be taking the enhanced inspection?

As a veteran of many smog checks, I can tell you that you'll need a newish gas cap; they'll test it to make sure it's the right type and it seals properly. Also, the gas tank and hoses will be pressure tested as well. There's a bunch of vent hoses around the tank that must be in good shape. Otherwise the tester will fail you.

8. Dana Strong

Dana Strong Dreams of Cub Cadets

In Post #1 he said he had the emission sticker, so he's farther ahead than many others who ask these questions. If any exactly-correct parts aren't available, he should be able to read the diagram and figure out how to inconspicuously modify the system to work properly, and pass the test.

Yes, all the components contribute to the leakdown rate, so it's worth testing that himself before going to the test station. Cracked fittings, porous hoses, disconnected lines and even old lines which will crack when the inspector clamps them shut can all cause a failure.

BTW, Mike; did you do the pre-oiling of the engine before starting it for the first time? Are you aware of the need for old-chemistry oil in these engines, due to the tappet/camshaft interface? Lots of information about these subjects in the Knowledge Base section.
    Also, how close are you to Grass Valley, where one of the good LightLine dealers operates?

9. Patrick Morris

Yep. Mike should definitely sort that all out before having it tested. There's about 12+ feet of fuel hose under the bed to route vapors. It's all got to be in decent shape.

Too bad he's not in San Diego. I have a great mechanic that I take my Scout to every two years. He sorts it out for me, checks that it's running tip-top and pressure tests the tank an all that. When he's confident it'll pass (he always is by that point) he sends it down a couple of doors to a "Start Station" smog-only place for the official test.

10. tahoedonner

tahoedonner Binder Driver

Good luck Mike. Others have thoroughly covered what’s expected and I’ll 3rd the leak test. I failed the first time because of it. I also failed due to having an improper gas cap. Im 100% sure my throttle decel module wasn’t functioning, nor does it need to, but passed the visual. Passed the sniffer test with flying colors which made it more annoying. I can help with other questions after your first test if they fail you. Been through this in the Bay Area where I’m positive they’re more strict than they are in the valley.

11. Ron A

Ron A High Wheeler

No kidding, that's the easy part.

12. NorCalMike

NorCalMike Farmall Cub

I have called a few local smog places. Most don't want to do an older car. The one that said he would test it did say he would check to see that all the emissions equipment was under the hood and connected. That was why I was worried about the missing Throttle Deceleration Module. I just need something there that looks correct, it might not need to function at all to pass the visual inspection.

He did say he would pressure check the fuel system. I have not yet done a pressure test but like you all say, it is likely that there are some leaks from old fuel hose. When I swapped the fuel filter the hose that connected that just broke apart.

13. NorCalMike

NorCalMike Farmall Cub

I am hoping that the sniffer test is good for me too. The other stuff is not as big a deal. Gas caps and fuel lines are not too hard to change I hope.

14. NorCalMike

NorCalMike Farmall Cub

I would love to have a good mechanic to go to in the Sacramento area. So far it has just been me tinkering and surfing the forums trying to learn what I can to fix things up.

15. NorCalMike

NorCalMike Farmall Cub

When I bought the scout it ran, just not well. so I was not there for the initial start. I think the owner had run it occasionally over the years. One of the first things I did when I got it home was change the oil as what was in there had an odd look to it and it had been in there for 15 years.

I do not know anything about the old chemistry oils. I will have to read up on that. The oil that is in there now is just standard 10W30 from Autozone. I did not plan to run it in there long before changing it again though. I have not had it running more than 30 minutes total with all the timing and carb tweaks though.

I am about 30-45 minutes from Grass Valley.

16. Ron A

Ron A High Wheeler

If you are that close to IH Parts America, it would be worth the trip to go see the showroom and talk to the staff there. They even carry the oil and or additives to get your zddp where it needs to be. They have everything you will ever need for a Scout, including the correct service manual.

17. Patrick Morris

Some of those hoses actually require dropping the gas tank to get to where they connect on the tank unfortunately. Fingers crossed you don’t have to mess with that.

18. NorCalMike

NorCalMike Farmall Cub

I had shopped there online but never knew they were just up the road!

The Vapor canister they list is no longer available. I may make a list of stuff I need and just go up there to pick that up plus ask the guys what they suggest for the canister.

19. tahoedonner

tahoedonner Binder Driver

I highly recommend doing this. They’ll have everything you need and more.

20. Dana Strong

Dana Strong Dreams of Cub Cadets

What happened about getting it and the throttle moderating module from Bussy, as offered earlier in the thread?