Upper Radiator Hose for SD33

Discussion in 'Diesel Tech' started by Eldon McFarling, Dec 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eldon McFarling

Eldon McFarling Farmall Cub

Replying to questions in the LOCKED thread

[​IMG]

Thanks for the interest everyone. Thats what makes a project like this possible.

The application for this hose is unknown. the best I can come up with is it was used on a power unit of some sort. it is specially made, and has no specific OEM or aftermarket application.

Availability down the road is uncertain at this time. However, unless I get hit by a train tomorrow I will do my best to make sure there is enough for every Diesel Scout owner to get at least 2. That way everyone will at least have a spare.

Here's the story of how this project happened. (with 4 part harmony of course)

I never understood why the original factory upper hose looked like a Booty-fab-contraption. I haven't seen a good replcement that didn't involve splices and adpters making the whole mess unreliable. I decided to see if something could be made to replace the original MESS, and clean things up. I live near Lincoln, NE where Goodyear has it's largest belt and hose plant. I got a friend that worked in the hose department to check it out, I gave him a sample and hoped for the best. A few weeks later he showed up with a sack full of hoses for me to try. It has 11-14-00 on it so thats about how long this has been in the works.

The prototype was similar to the one in the photo except the small leg is longer, and both ends are rough, untrimmed. I tried one for fit, almost perfect, just a slight difference in the bend, but when installed you don't even notice it. I asked about making more, and also some different materials like silicone. A few months went by, still nothing. turns out they can't find the mandrel used to make the hose. To make matters worse Goodyear is moving hose production south of the border. It doesn't look too good for getting a few special hoses made.

[​IMG]

The way the molded hose is made is to pull a uncured length of rubber stock over a bent mandrel the shape of the inside of the hose, then immerse it in a hot fluid which I forgot what it is. Might just be water. After a period of time curing the hose is removed from the mandrel, trimmed and numbered. The problem of the missing mandrel, and production moving was making it look like this project was not going to ever get done. For these specialty low volume items the cost of making the mandrel is charged to the customer, which is around 500 clams. Add to that a minimum number of pieces and the price is getting out of sight. I still want this to happen, so I still been trying to get something done, find the original tooling, what ever. I showed the prototype at NATS, only to have folks hounding me the next year. still trying, but no luck yet.

Not much changed until a couple months ago when I located a NOS supply of the exact hose by accident. I managed to get a sample to verify it was correct. Bingo!!! I committed to buy the entire lot of about 100 pieces, I figger its a start. since then the number has grown to about 250 and it looks like that is about all there is available at this time. I have to check each hose and trim the small end to the proper length.

As far as future availability goes I plan to pay the cost of making a new mandrel and get more made unless another vendor wants to share in the cost. For now I will just see how the demand is, plus Goodyear is on strike right now so they don't need any little projects like this one. No gaurantee, but I really expect to get more when needed.

So there you have it. the hoses I have will be available for shipment soon. unless there is an immediate need I will wait to ship after the Christmas rush. If I can help any of my fellow Diesel Scout owners I will be glad to supply you with a hose plus a spare for each Diesel Scout you own. If interested please contact me privately. Please post any other questions or comments you have.

Eldon

EldonMcf@aol.com

Diesel Scout Hotline (402) 432-7170

*NOTE clicking HERE will take you to a page off the web site website for more information*

2. BinderMark

BinderMark Farmall Cub

Thank you Eldon for trying to help us upgrade our diesel Scouts. Every little item that will save us trouble on the road ahead is good for each of us. I will purchase extra hosses just to have them on the shelf in the shop in case someone else travels by and is in need of that hose.

Thank you again.

Mark

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.