Upper Rad Hose Revisted

Discussion in 'Diesel Tech' started by Jim, Oct 12, 2015.

1. Jim

Jim High Wheeler

This has come up a lot over the years. Wondering if we have made progress.
    I am able to find new replacement hoses. However, the upper one is still not one piece. And the funky adapter doesn't come with the new upper hose.
    Since my adapter is 35 years old, it has hardened and drips with hose clamped tight.

I know for a while Eldon had a one piece replacement that worked okay. But I dont think those are available anymore. Has anyone figured out a replacement for the adapter? I will post a picture soon.

Also this upper hose leaks a little on the engine side too. I put two clamps on tight and still leaks.

How about using some kind of sealer? If I smear some high temp sealant around the inlet pipes before installing hose and clamp, would that help? Will the sealant be okay to use against the rad hose?

2. JasonR.

JasonR. Binder Driver

I think I have one of the prototype hoses that Eldon had created. I know he spoke about it recently at Nats (I wasn't there, but saw it on BP Youtube Channel). If I can locate mine, I will try to research getting some additional samples made. Hopefully, Eldon or Mark G can comment here based on their earlier research on this.

3. Jim

Jim High Wheeler

Thats great to hear. I saw that youtube video. I guess for now, I will try cleaning my old adapter parts (4 in piece of old rubber and metal pipe) and use some high temp sealant to help seal things. Not sure of what else I can do.

4. Jeff Ismail

Jeff Ismail High Wheeler

We just got a fresh batch of those hoses from Eldon at the Nats. They are available for sale on our online store - http://www.ihpartsamerica.com/store/SL479332C2-IMPRVD.html

5. Jim

Jim High Wheeler

Thanks, good to know.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2015
  6. Jim

Jim High Wheeler

The newer hose didn't work out for me. It was too short to fit either of my Diesel Scout II's. So I used the (regular) upper hose I got from IHPartsAmerica. I pulled the old reducer and cleaned it up with a wire brush. Then I found a piece of 2 inch hose and cut a small section, used new hose clamps. So far no leaks!

7. BinderMark

BinderMark Farmall Cub

I have two of Eldon's upper radiator one piece hoses for the SD-33t engine. Since I have sold my 1980 SD-33t Scout II these and lots of other parts are for sale. (starters, generators, NIB air filter housing for SD-33t) I will make a list and put all for sale in the 'Parts for Sale' section. But what I also have is a custom made stainless steel housing made for the SD-33t engine upper radiator hose. It utilizes a short piece of 2" hose from this adapter to the upper radiator inlet. I made 2 of these and installed one on the Scout that just sold. PM me or email me at: Binder(at)fairpoint.net if interested. Mark

Attached Files:

8. RinTX

RinTX High Wheeler

I sent you an email about that SS housing.
    Rick