Turn Signal Canceling Cam

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by sully0812, May 16, 2016.

1. sully0812

sully0812 High Wheeler

Why did they make these things out of such brittle plastic???

Yeah, yeah, it probably wasn't that brittle 35 years ago when they were new. Regardless, in an effort to put my Scout back together so I could get it inspected this week, I seem to have breathed upon the canceling cam and snapped the little arm off.

We all know these were Saginaw columns. Is there a GM application or a Dorman part number for the cam that I can give to my IH-phobic parts store, so I can actually get this done this week? Or am I stuck mail ordering a new one from our vendors? I'd honestly rather deal with our vendors, but I'd really like to take care of this tomorrow night too. :/

Last edited: May 16, 2016
  2. TheScoutMaster

TheScoutMaster High Wheeler

3. sully0812

sully0812 High Wheeler

I guess that would be pretty important info, huh?

I've got a 77 Scout II. The canceling cam looks the same as the parts from the 78, 79, and 76 that I've had in the past. I saw that picture that you linked on rock auto, and that looks nothing like the part in any SII steering column I have ever had. I went to Dorman's website too, and they list a part for the Scout II, but the picture they show looks like the part that you listed.

The part that I need looks like this:
    [​IMG]

I'm pretty sure that the green one is for a standard steering column, and the white one is for a tilt column. I did look up a 77 Chevy Blazer on Dorman's site, and the picture of that part looks just like the one above. I might give it a try if I can find one.

4. Jeff Jamison

Jeff Jamison Lives in an IH Dealership

I don't think the name for the part you are hunting for is the canceling cam,I think the cam is the piece on the turnsignal switch that is shown on the rockauto link.The piece you are hunting should be very common,My local napa has them on the self help rack.

5. sully0812

sully0812 High Wheeler

I hate when I know exactly what I want but I don't know what to ask for. :wacko:

My manuals referred to it is as "Cam, W/Ring, Turn Signal Cancel" and I found a couple of diagrams online that referred to it as the canceling cam, such as this one (which admittedly is for a Jeep I think, but still a Saginaw column). Is there a better or more common name I should be using when I ask the parts store folks?

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 17, 2016
  6. TheScoutMaster

TheScoutMaster High Wheeler

If its a GM column, wouldn't Dorman 83233 work?

7. sully0812

sully0812 High Wheeler

That's my suspicion. That's the one I turned up looking under a late 70's Blazer instead of the Scout. However Dorman does not list the Scout II for that application, and instead lists a different part number for the Scout II, but one where the picture pretty clearly doesn't match the original. I was kind of hoping for confirmation from someone else who had been there and done that.

So, needless to say, I picked one up at lunch, and I'm going to give a a whirl when I get home.

Last edited: May 18, 2016
  8. fredsterra

fredsterra Y-Block King

It will be the same as a 70's GM. Just make sure if it is a tilt wheel or not.