Turbo Diesel exhaust upgrade available...

Discussion in 'Scoutco' started by Mike Moore, Oct 18, 2007.

1. Oliver

Oliver Farmall Cub

Really sorry if I acted like a jerk. My bad. I didn't mean to imply anything or be weird. The part just didn't fit the truck.
    Once again, sorry , and the rest of the pipe works great.
    peace
    oliver

2. Mike Moore

Mike Moore Dreams of Cub Cadets

Oli,
    I still want to know what hit what...why it didn't fit. I can't make sure it doesn't happen again if I don't know what went wrong this time. When I put the pipe you now have on my 4 speed Scout, it almost fit. The bottom, horizontal outlet piece is too high off the ground cusing it to hit the linkage where it mounts on the balls between the frame and the transmission. I don't have any pictures of pipes fitted on the 4 speed Scout.

Here is the pipe on my automatic Scout (I am almost certain this is the same pipe you have, Oli):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Plenty of clearance all around. Where does it hit on your Scout? Is it the framerail or the trannsmission mount crossmember? Is it too low, too wide, or what? Help me out here. I'm trying to figure out if your Scout is an example of one that the turbo mounts at a different angle, or something else is different, or what. If IH put them out with some variation in something that caused this, I want to catch it before I make a big batch and have a bunch of problems later. As I said, you are the first complaint whatsoever on these.

And...
    Why not?

3. Mike Moore

Oli?
    Did you clock it counter clockwise 90 degrees on the turbo housing, and try to run it down the outside of the framerail? That's the only reason I can see on my Scouts that would cause it to hit the frame. After looking at what you cut off, it isn't the "tail" piece, it's the vertical part and the lower bend in your pic, which means you cut the tail, bottom bend, and half of the vertical piece all off. That's left you with an outlet ring, and enough pipe to get around the starter, and that's it.

:surrender:I give up. Without a picture of what you've got, I can't figure it out. Please help.

4. Oliver

Oliver Farmall Cub

Dude the motor I bought off another binder guy turned out to be junk... further rendering this stuff redundant..good luck on yer product..
    peace
    oliver

5. Mike Moore

If you took any pictures besides the one you've got in this thread, please post them, email them, snail mail them, send them by carrier pigeon, whatever. I would like to see what's going on. That way I can answer these previously asked questions that frankly bug the snot out of me:

I'm getting frustrated that I have these questions without answers. If I have a problem I want to fix it. I've still had zero complaints outside of this one, and I'd like to know if you did something wrong at your end (in which case I need to type up some good installation directions with pictures), or if IH built some of these with turbo outlets clocked differently (I'd need to make two variations of pipes), or if something else happened that I can't figure. Without your help answering these questions (minimum) or a couple pictures of what you have (this would be best), I can't figure out what went wrong to prevent future problems.

6. Oliver

Oliver Farmall Cub

We are pulling the motor maybe this weekend.. Sorry if this isn't working out on your time frame/schedule. You arn't my priority. There wern't any install instructions with the pipe(beyond this thread), just a box, the pipe/flange and no packing materials. The box had been opened when I got it too...
    Understand the motor I just bought was junk and I am into this for big$ and now its crap. There has been a ton of work going into this with all kinda fab stuff here (starters rebuilt, stripping spare blown engine to make a frankenstein..)and there and the pipe situation hasn't been at the top of the heap.( oil lines blowing.. jesco not sending the right parts.. etc..)
    Getting you a good pic for a product that didn't, (maybe my fault i dunno) fit... Its on the list...
    Cute posting my replies saying I would post pics..charming..If you must know all the pics I took came out like crap cause the garage isn't that well lit and my camera isn't that great..So sorry..I will send you some pics when I can and would like to take this off boards.. I have enough crap drama in my life without and internet flame war?

7. Mike Moore

Oli,
    I've been trying to be polite and professional with this entire situation. Forgive me if I fail to maintain that now.

Let's see this "time frame/schedule" that you are talking about...
    To begin, let's flash back to the end of January where this all started:
    You expressed interest in a downpipe, and we touched base regarding this particular pipe that should have worked for your unique application. You said it would be a little while until you could send the money for it, and I agreed to hold it for you.

Next stop on our time line, February 22...nearly a month later:
    You are at a funeral for a family member, and will "hit me up" for it when you get back. I tell you no problem...you can read my actual response up a few posts. I figure payment will be on it's way to me, so I get the pipe in the box ready to go for you.

Next stop...3 weeks later, on March 16:
    You ask how to pay, I respond in a PM that same day. Five days later you send the money via PayPal. I got the notification of a pending eCheck on Friday the 21st, and mailed the pipe out the following Monday...which was the 24th...and the eCheck didn't clear until Wednesday the 26th. I mailed your pipe out to you before I knew I was really even paid. Now, during shipping, you let me know how desperate you are...but yet it takes you over two more weeks to get it installed.

April 23:
    You got it on, but it has alleged problems. I know for a fact that my card with my cell phone number was included in the box, along with an invoice that also has my cell number on it. I'm not hard to find if you run into problems. However, my phone never rang once from you. If you had problems, you could have easily contacted me before this "flame war" ever began. Even if the card and invoice I included fell out when the package "had been opened" before you got it, take a look at my track record of responses to this thread...counting this one here, I've responded to you TEN TIMES on the very same day as you posted, and once the following day...never more than that. I don't hide from my problems. I think that's clear from this thread. Simply put, if you had a problem with the pipe, you should have gotten with me to correct it before you cut it, in my opinion...if it was a problem with you not understanding how to install it, or a problem with the package being torn open in transit, or a problem with it physically not fitting your application, or whatever. However, you cut the pipe, and I still attempted to stand behind it, resulting in this mess we have here. I could have said "wow...sorry to hear you had problems, but yep...it was a gamble, sorry buddro...looks like you lost!"...but I didn't, and I'm still not!

I've tried my best to be helpful to you, considerate to you, and bent over backwards to contort myself to YOUR "time frame/schedule", and now you try to call me out like this.:nono: It sounds like your used engine turned out to be a bust, and you've had some issues with other vendors recently too, but look back over this entire ordeal and tell me where I've not been here trying to work this out 100%. I'm sorry it seems like you've been dealt a lousy hand in this Scout project, but I'm not going to let you drag my name through the mud and make me out to look like the bad guy here after I've tried so hard to go above and beyond what I feel like anyone needs to in a similar situation. Come on...I put the pipe on hold for you for nearly two months, sent it to you before your payment even cleared into my account, respond to you ASAP every time you post anything in this thread, fumbled all over the place trying to reimburse you some money if it was my fault it didn't fit, and I'm still here trying to help. Where can you fault me in this situation? And you come back at me with a response like this? What gives?

As for the time frame, hey...I'm not in a hurry! It's already been over 4 months in the making! I still really would like to see why it doesn't fit your Scout. I've asked for more info in every way I know how, and I'll continue to wait for the promised pictures, and hopefully you'll still send/post them.

As for it being taken off the board, I'd really rather not, honestly. You've got to understand...this is going to end up being one of two things:
    1- Something I have screwed up (need instructions, different design, etc), and I want to fix it and let everyone know it's fixed.
    2- Something you have screwed up, and frankly I want to clear my name and let everyone else know that my product is built correctly. My current and future customers deserve to know what happened here as much as I do.
    Every little detail of this from day one has been publicly posted on this forum on your part, and I don't see why that should change, now. You had no problem starting it on here, let's finish it on here.

Again, I apologize if I upset you in any way, but I really want to get to the bottom of this situation. If you could answer the questions that I have asked (a few times) it would help me to understand what's going on:
    1- You described it as "way low" and that you had to cut it "way way back". What was too low, a bend? the outlet?
    2- Now you described it as hitting the frame. Was it too low, or hitting the frame? I don't understand how it could be both. What did you cut off, and what did you leave on?
    3- What part of the pipe hit what part of the Scout before you cut it?
    4- Are you sure you had it clocked on the turbo correctly? It should almost follow the factory routing between the starter and frame, like the pictures I've posted in this thread indicate.

Thanks for anything you're willing to tell me to help me out. Seriously, what do you have to lose? If it's something that is my fault, I'll trip all over myself apologizing, we'll work out something with reimbursement, and you'll be all set. Then I can revamp my design to not have it happen again. If it's your fault, I guess you'll feel like poo for a few minutes, but at least I'll know what was going on with it. I hope you understand.

8. Oliver

Oliver Farmall Cub

Agreed you have been helpful, agreed that the engine I bought turned out to be crap..Agreed that your stickers were in the box but it had been opened while in transit I assume and all the packing materials were lost..
    I had one post that could be taken as calling you out on the mat.. Then I maned up and apologized...So chill..
    What? With who? The only parts I have bought are door seals from binderbooks and a complete rubber set from jesco (not a vendor here) ?
    Where are you getting all this?
    I did get a crap motor and I didn't attack you. I don't think you sell bad products or give bad service. It seems your mad at me for being a bad customer when I have had a ton of REAL problems that makes this look like childish bickering ..I have been remiss for not posting pics, but in order to get the pics I have to drive 28 miles each way in a 1972 1310 IH with a 392.. its costs bucks..When I have been out there visiting my rig, I took pics and each time they were too dark or looked like crap..It just hasn't worked out ok?
    I don't..
    I feel this has gotten way too heated and if you want to talk pm me and I will shoot you my number.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2008
  9. Mike Moore

I'm at Myrtle Beach this week, so please forgive me if this is short and unclear. I'm not going to take the time to quote everything and make a good post.

You said you had trouble with oil lines blowing, Jesco, etc...I assumed that etc meant other problems. It was enough going on that getting the folks on here a picture wasn't a priority, at least. Maybe it's one vendor and not vendorS, my bad.
    I don't feel like you are a "bad customer", I'm just trying to get to the bottom of what has happened, here.

It's been a month and a half since you first posted that you were having a problem, and I know quite a few folks are watching this thread to see what happens. I guess I want closure for my own piece of mind, and for my customers to know where the problem lies. If I'm out of line, forgive me.

Again, please help me/us:
    1- You described it as "way low" and that you had to cut it "way way back". What was too low, a bend? the outlet?
    2- Now you described it as hitting the frame. Was it too low, or hitting the frame? I don't understand how it could be both. What did you cut off, and what did you leave on?
    3- What part of the pipe hit what part of the Scout before you cut it?
    4- Are you sure you had it clocked on the turbo correctly? It should almost follow the factory routing between the starter and frame, like the pictures I've posted in this thread indicate.

Thanks.

10. Mike Moore

I just got an email from someone ordering a downpipe, and they mentioned this thread "gave me pause...but you are the only guy doing it".

THAT is why I want to get to the bottom of what went on in this situation.

I thought I should update this thread and let everyone know that there has been no pictures, PM's, emails, etc whatsoever outside of what has been posted in this thread. I'm guessing (I can look next week when I'm home, if it's a big deal to anyone) we've sold nearly 50 of these pipes since we started building them, and I've had one complaint...this one. I honestly have to believe that it was installed incorrectly, or I'd have heard of more problems from other customers. I still would love to have seen pictures, gotten a better description of what hit where, etc...but judging from the evidence I DO have, I think it was an installation issue, not a product issue.

Please know that I am not "out to get" anyone. I'm here, not trying to hide. I'm easy to find, and I'm willing to stand behind anything we sell. If there's a problem with something we've done, we'll lay it out in the open and say that there's a problem with it, and then we're gonna make it right.:rockon:

11. Gottbetter

Gottbetter Farmall Cub

I am still waiting to install my pipe. I bought a Pyrometer and installed the probe, but I have been to two shops. One turned me away because it was too much of a job (odd I know) and the other wanted a lot of money for what seems like a pretty easy job. Can I just unbolt it myself? Everyone seems to agree the exhaust piping is the easy part. But if I do it myself do I need anything special? do I need to make a gasket? replace the bolts? help? also, I started to build my own intake. thanks Mike!

12. Mike Moore

You'll likely have issues getting the studs out of the turbo housing to remove the old elbow. Once that's off, just replace them with 4 shorter bolts (can't remember what size...metric, though) and reuse your old gasket. I've never seen a bad gasket here.