Turbo Diesel exhaust upgrade available...

Discussion in 'Scoutco' started by Mike Moore, Oct 18, 2007.

1. Mike Moore

Mike Moore Dreams of Cub Cadets

Thanks fro the feedback, Owen. Yours is the first to go out, first to be installed, etc. The above pics are actually your pipe on my Scout for mock-up. I've got a few others about ready to go out...one will go tomorrow.

Thanks!

2. Mike Moore

Carey, I truly haven't had trouble with the starter on Blackie, which always had a stock elbow and pipe. My brown Scout has the starter submerged occasionally, and I have problems with it...but it's had a 3" pipe and flange (shown in the beginning of this thread) for a long time. I don't remember how the stock stuff cleared the starter!:no: It is a fair amount of clearance with the Scoutco down pipe, though.

3. brotella

brotella Guest

:offtopic: Wow- that ceramic coating looks gooooooood. What's the deal with your draft tube going up and around the other side?

-Ben

4. Mike Moore

Ben...you'll know what that ceramic coating looks like first hand in a couple weeks, won't you?:rockon:

As for the draft tube, look up PCV under my name in the diesel section. This engine is newer and out of a Nissan Patrol. It's got a few goodies that the 1980-spec ones don't.

5. Mike Moore

Update...
    I dropped off three down pipes at the ceramic coater today. It looks like the price is going to be $90 to have this done, and there is a two week turn around at this point.

I'm also making a pipe to send to the mandrel benders in order to check pricing of having the pipes made in one piece, rather than me piecing them together here out of 3 pieces. This will make a more consistent piece, and it should me more durable since there won't be as many welds to give rust a place to start. Until I get this done, I have new orders of these on temporary hold. If we've already confirmed an order via email or PM, yours is in the works. Otherwise, I will post up again here when they are going again, hopefully very soon.
    Thanks for the understanding!

Last edited: Dec 11, 2007
  6. AZDIESEL

AZDIESEL Binder Driver

I got my Downpipe Tuesday and installed it tonite. I am very please with the outcome. DP looks great and made a difference in throttle responce and top end.

I used some 8m x 1.25 x 45mm studs to attach it to the turbo, which also made it easier to install vs. using bolts.

Oh, and the little Nissan sounds much tougher too now that she's straight piped.

I highly recommend Mikes DP to anyone.

7. Mike Moore

I appreciate the feedback! I'm glad it worked well for you. Enjoy it.

8. Mike Moore

Another update...

I have the first half of the sample to send the mandrel benders finished. I'm going to take it home tomorrow night and put it on my 4-speed Scout to make 100% sure all the tolerances are...well...tolerable. Once it's done later this week, it will go out to the benders for them to scan into their machine and get me a quote on bending them in one piece. I'll update again when the prices are here.

Thanks!

9. Gottbetter

Gottbetter Farmall Cub

I am gitty with excitement :clap:

10. brotella

brotella Guest

I just got my downpipe yesterday. It looks great!! I can't wait to get it on the truck.

Mike, your check will be in the mail on monday. Thanks for a great product at a fair price.

11. Mike Moore

Thanks, Ben. That coating looks sweet, doesn't it? When you put that stuff on new metal that's smooth, it really lays down and turns out great!
    We've coated a few parts for some of our trucks at work, my Scout, etc...but honestly haven't ever turned the engine over on the first one since we got it coated...and some of it is a couple years old already.:thumbs down:

I've heard nothing but good things from these guys, though. I know that Boss Hoss uses them for their motorcycle parts, too...and I figure they could afford to use whoever they wanted to!:)

12. turbogreaser

turbogreaser Farmall Cub

does this mean your'e taking orders on the 2.1 version now?
    Thanks Mike
    Eric

13. Mike Moore

Not yet, Eric. :thumbs down:

The mandrel benders called me yesterday, and they are sending me a "prototype" back to test fit. We honestly don't think it's going to work this time. Near the flange, I have two bends against each other, and they can't do that. I knew that when I sent it, but what they neglected to tell me was that they need me to put an inch of straight in there on the one I send them as a pattern. So they tried to "make the program think" it was there...but they don't think it's right. Anyhow, I should have it back today or tomorrow...work on it, send it BACK to them, then we can get something done.:rolleyes:

14. turbogreaser

turbogreaser Farmall Cub

Thanks for the quick response Mike. Time to go buy more muffler tape and a coat hanger, as I refuse to spend a lot until i have your parts in my hands.
    I will prevail!!
    Eric

15. Gottbetter

Gottbetter Farmall Cub

did they give you a new price for the 2.1 version. assuming they work the kinks out?

16. Mike Moore

Yes, the price to my customers will remain the same for now. It's costing me more to buy, but less time to weld up...so it all evens out in the end.:D

17. Mike Moore

The returned prototype didn't fit right, like we thought. I had to cut it apart, and weld a piece of straight pipe in it. They have it again, now...so the ball is back in their court, and we're all waiting again.:whistling:

18. Mike Moore

Finally some progress!
    I got the pipes yesterday, and it looks like they'll fit and work fine. I will have to make one cut to remove a few inches out of the middle, then weld it back together. I've not going to be able to do anything with it this weekend, but I hope to work on one Tuesday to make one for a pattern for myself in order to be able to build the rest without needing my Scout to test fit them.

In a nutshell, I should be back into full swing production by the middle of next week!:rockon:

19. turbogreaser

turbogreaser Farmall Cub

Count me in please!
    Eric

20. Oliver

Oliver Farmall Cub

SO I am about to get ahold of a SD33T that will replace the SD33n/a in my traveler with at. tranny. What if the total cost with shipping to 97217 portland oregon and what kinda time frame.. Oh yeah.. does the firewall have to " moved" with the auto tranny, was a lil unclear from the previous posts..
    thanks and let me know.
    oliver