Turbo Diesel exhaust upgrade available...

Discussion in 'Scoutco' started by Mike Moore, Oct 18, 2007.

1. Mike Moore

Mike Moore Dreams of Cub Cadets

Alright...
    Thanks to a fellow web site member getting me in touch with a reasonably priced shop, I have the exhaust outlet flange for the SD33T done. As I type this, they are in transit from the machine shop to me. These are made out of 1/2" thick mild steel plate, laser cut to put a 2.5" pipe into, weld it, then bolt the assembly on where the restrictive factory exhaust outlet elbow was. The picture below should illustrate how restrictive the factory system is, in relation to the new piece above it. (Please note, the picture shows a 3" downpipe, where the outlet flange I'm marketing is for 2.5".)
    [​IMG]

Once these come in next week and I test one for fit, they will be ready to go for those that want to weld their own exhaust on, or have it done locally. Future plans call for me to weld a pipe onto the flange, complete with a welded in bung for a pyrometer probe, and also a "V" clamp flange for ease of removal of the downpipe.

As soon as these come in, I'll post a few pictures.
    The price for the flange alone will be $22.00 each shipped in the ConUS.

Feel free to email or PM me with any questions.

sales@scoutcoproducts.com

2. Mike Moore

Here are a couple more pictures. The first shows the view from the top. The downpipe will have to be made to clear the starter and the firewall. It should be fairly easy with 2.5" pipe...again these pics are of the 3" pipe I put on one of my Scouts several years ago. The flanges I'm selling are for 2.5" pipe! Mine had a 3" body lift on it, so I can't comment on the firewall clearance, though others have done it with good results.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Mike Moore

Alright, the flanges just arrived and look great!

[​IMG]

Here's the amount of clearance that the 2.5" pipe will allow for the mounting bolts/studs.
    [​IMG]

4. Mike Moore

I ordered the stuff to make a downpipe for my Scout today. Once I get this done, I should know about what the price will be on a complete downpipe, too.

5. Mike Moore

Alright, guys...I'm callin' you out!:)

Well...here they are. I found comparable ones on eBay for a buck less after shipping, but they are only 3/8" thick. That was the next best thing I could find that was close. So...email me and let's get a few of these shipped out.:rockon:

6. HB 1980 Diesel

HB 1980 Diesel Farmall Cub

Just sent a PM, its back on you now

7. Mike Moore

Got it. PM'ing you back.

8. Owen Foust

Owen Foust Farmall Cub

I will take one when ready. PM me the details.

9. Mike Moore

If you just want the outlet flange, they are ready now. If you are waiting on the down pipe to be ready, it may be a few more weeks and I'm not sure how much they will be.

10. Mike Moore

Alright, I got my "prototype" down pipe almost done this morning.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I don't have a factory transmission crossmember in this Scout, and I'm not sure if it would work without modifying a stock one. It will work well with the one I made up for Blackie's automatic, though. I used a Scoutco outlet flange, welded a 2"-ish long piece of pipe to it, then welded the V clamp flange to it. This piece has the bung in it for my pyrometer as well. The downpipe itself is all mandrel bent 2-1/2" pipe with a stainless braided flex pipe welded to the bottom. I will weld another short piece of straight pipe to the outlet side of the flex, then I can simply swell the pipe to slip over it, and use a band clamp to continue the exhaust to the rear.:cool:

I've got to finish up the very end of the down pipe, then send it to Thermal Tech to have it ceramic coated, and it will be finished.

I'm working with a mandrel bending place to get a quote on making the down pipe in one piece for us, too.:punk:

11. AZDIESEL

AZDIESEL Binder Driver

PM sent. I am interested....

12. Mike Moore

Alright, I got the prices worked up. Y'all sit down...the price of cool ain't cheap! All prices include shipping to ConUS.

Standard Scoutco down pipe...$175
    Consists of Scoutco's outlet flange with 2-1/2" mandrel bent aluminized pipe and pyrometer bung welded and ready to install. This will be similar to the one pictured, but without the V clamp or flex section. pipe will end 8"-ish in front of the transmission cross member on a SD33T 4-speed Scout.

Options:

-Stainless steel braided flex section...$45
    6" long flexible section allows some engine movement without causing stress on the turbo housing and rear part of exhaust system. This will move the end of the down pipe slightly more rearward to around 6"-ish form your cross member.

-Ceramic coating...$90 ***UPDATED PRICE***
    Looks like polished aluminum, and holds up to over 1300 degree heat without issues. Inside and out are coated. Keeps the heat in the pipe, not in your floorboards!
    Also now available in satin black as well.

Thanks!

Last edited: Aug 11, 2009
  13. Carl Wiese

Carl Wiese Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Mike I am floored by the prices, I think they are extremely reasonable!! This is a one off custom piece, and if what comes in the mail looks like what you posted, I think for 150 people are getting it easy. I am VERY excited to see this coming to market, just last month I had someone at the montly meeting ask me about my EE, and I had to tell them it wasn't made anymore. But now, when I see them again I will glady point them to this thread. This is a great asset to the Diesel Scout Community, THANK YOU for putting in the time and effort, the end result looks great. I just hope the community rewards your efforts with their partronage.

Carl

14. Mike Moore

Thanks, Carl. I hope I sell a few, too.

I've got one "standard" one sold, and it's welded up and sitting here waiting on the pyrometer probe bung as I type this. I plan to take a few pictures of it and post them here (and give the website a looooong overdue update) when I get it all finished.

15. Mike Moore

Alright...here are the promised pictures of the "standard" down pipe. I still don't have the pyrometer bung installed in these pics, due to Scoutco's purchasing dept (um...me) ordering 1/8" NPT bungs instead of 1/4".:mad: I've got 1/4" ones on the way, though.

The first couple pictures show the pipe welded up and ready to install:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The rest of the pictures show it installed on my Scout, without the front clip installed so you can really see it well!

Here you can see the flange thickness, and starter and frame clearance:
    [​IMG]

One from above showing clearance (The mark on the pipe is where the pyrometer probe bung will be):
    [​IMG]

This one shows it from the front, under the turbo, looking back:
    [​IMG]

Here's how the pipe ends from under the front of the engine...excuse the jack:rolleyes: :
    [​IMG]

Here's one showing where the pipe ends a little better, from above:
    [​IMG]

Again, this is the standard down pipe, with no options. One just like this is $150 shipped, and made-to-order. The one in the pictures is pre-sold. I have enough stuff to make one more right now, and I will likely put it on eBay at the same price, as a way to get knowledge of the product out there to the folks who may not find it here or on the Scoutco website (assuming I ever get that sucker updated:wacko: ).

Thanks for looking, and if I can answer any questions, please let me know.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2007
  16. Craig Z

Craig Z Farmall Cub

Just sent a PM...I'll take one.

Craig

17. Mitch Neal

Mitch Neal High Wheeler

:offtopic: Blackie sure is getting dusty, get to work! :rockon:

18. Mike Moore

:thumbs down: No comment. I've actually been too busy with Scoutco's stuff to have time to play with my own Scout much. This is a good thing, I suppose.:cool2: If I ever get the time, I may have the money, anyway!:)

19. Owen Foust

Owen Foust Farmall Cub

Hello, I recently had the elbow eliminator from Scoutco installed by my local muffler shop and everything went as planned. The piece fit great and I am very happy with the results. Thank you Mike for getting this organized. Owen Foust

20. CareyWeber

CareyWeber Diesel Herder / Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Your downpipe actually looks like it will make it easier to get the starter out than the factory version.