Truck has trouble starting after driving for a while.

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by TheCrazyFarmer, Jun 19, 2019.

1. TheCrazyFarmer

TheCrazyFarmer Farmall Cub

Ok thanks!

2. TheCrazyFarmer

It does it when cold as well, what does this mean?

3. INT77345

INT77345 Farmall Cub

forgive me i have not read through all 26 pages so ignore me if this has already been tested.......
    are you getting good fuel to your carb when engine is hot and your having these symptoms? to me it sounds like a vapor lock... hot engine, not wanting to run good, going put put..... and you say it does it cold as well. check fuel flow cold also. and is your choke functioning correctly sounds like you have a manual choke does adjusting the choke have any effect good or bad on the symptoms?

4. Patrick Morris

Patrick Morris Lives in an IH Dealership

Seriously. TCF should just grab couple pair of needle-nose Vise-grips or some maybe C-clamps and pinch off those hoses already. No disconnecting of anything needed. Takes about 10 seconds to do that. Not enough pinching to damage the hoses obviously but enough to close off the flow completely. Then see what happens. I can't figure out why this is simple test is being put off.

5. Patrick Morris

Oh you bast@ard. You swooped right back in and nabbed post #500! :punk:

It's occurred to me that for each of us trying to help, if we'd kicked in a buck or two, times however many posts we've written, we could have bought one of use a RT plane ticket to Oregon and gotten TCF's truck sorted out months ago. LOL I hope you get what I'm trying to say. Just thought that was funny.

RBS and Randall Barringer like this.
  6. scoutboy74

scoutboy74 Lives in an IH Dealership

Oh, I get it Patrick. This thread has aged me ten years in just a couple months. And Johnny, AKA TCF is a good kid. We know that by now. It's not personal, but this endless tail chasing can be enough to piss off the Pope after awhile. Plane fair...sheesh! All it would take is some gas & beer money (gas, grass or ass...no free rides, sonny boy) and an early getty-up call. I'm about 250 miles away. With an early enough start, I could put in a full day and still be back in my own bed in time to get a relatively decent night's sleep.

RBS and Randall Barringer like this.
  7. RBS

RBS Farmall Cub

This thread is one of those that can be frustrating to read but you just can't help but look :)

I restore a lot of tube type vintage radio gear and I am pretty good at it and I have helped a lot of people sort out problems with their stuff. But troubleshooting long distance is never easy and with complex stuff it will be frustrating and generally ultimately futile without a dedicated and cooperative owner. Before I get seriously involved helping someone remotely with radio gear I ask them for a description of their knowledge level, a complete description of ALL of the symptoms, and a listing of what test gear they have available and how much they know about using it. With this info I can either provide a concise set of steps for exactly how to proceed or let them know they really need to get hands on help from someone. If we proceed, I provide a precise description of what measurements need to be made and if their response includes only the measurements they felt like making or if they get creative with how they take the measurements and don't follow proper test protocol then I know it is going to be a waste of time to continue.

People trying to provide help from a distance can provide a list of what needs to be done to logically find the fault(s) but if the owner doesn't follow that explicitly then solving a simple issue can take forever likely resulting to collateral damage in the process. I am especially cautious with electronic gear because even tube type receivers have several hundred volts available at lethal current level and transmitters will often have voltages in the 1500 to 4000 volt range and a bad mistake with that doesn't provide for a second chance.

scoutboy74 likes this.
  8. scoutboy74

I took a little trip down memory lane to determine at what point the discussion of vacuum leaks and inability to run with open choke first occurred. It was approximately post #25 into the early thirties. I was heavily involved in that discussion, being the first respondent to point out the very real possibility of a vacuum leak. Exactly two months and almost 500 posts later, we're still talking about stinking vacuum leaks and how to go about finding and fixing said afflictions! Really? At one point, I had to unsubscribe from this thread. I was in the midst of a family crisis and from an emotional standpoint, I just couldn't take the sheer madness of this thread any longer, so I dropped out. But, damned if it didn't suck me back in. For how long remains to be seen. If I drop out of this thread again, you can bet your sweet bippy I won't be back!

RBS likes this.
  9. TheCrazyFarmer

Okay, look.

I have tried to use the stethoscope method, the carb cleaner method, kinda tried the vac gauge method, I was having trouble with it.
    I have only put off this test, because I was having trouble with even the new fittings leaking a tiny bit, so My friend said he would come help in person, he had a family emergency, so he couldn't come. I was just waiting for everything to go back to normal so he could come out.

I really do try to follow all this, its just so many people have different suggestions, and I only have so much time to try them. We are always really busy around here, and you cant expect me to have the time to try everything.

I did say I was rapping up the thread, because I was going to drive it on choke for a bit to register it and get hay, and then tackle the leaks when my friend was available. People kept on talking about the leak, and then I posted a new question after I drove it, and now all I'm getting is complaints.

When you guys were talking about vacuum leaks way back when, I was still exploring other possibilities which you guys where providing.

I want to make sure you know that I really do appreciate everyone's help. You guys are taking time to help me, when you could be using that time elsewhere.

If you guys don't want to be here, than you don't have to be here. I really appreciate everyone's help, but if I'm just getting complaints, that doesn't help me.

It does bother me that everyone is frustrated with me. Nobody wants that, especially people who are trying to help you.

I'm gonna wait for my friend to come over, and then deal with the leaks. I'm signing off until then. I am grateful to anyone who's still here when I come back.

Thanks!

winchested likes this.
  10. scoutboy74

Fair enough. You do have a lot of irons in the fire. As you say, you and your helper have been provided plenty of suggestions and methods to follow when time permits. My parting advice to you for now is, when that time comes, focus on the vacuum leak aspect like a laser. Don't worry about any other potential issues. Certainly there are others, but in my opinion, they're secondary to the vacuum leak. Without some type of narrowed focus, it's easy to wind up chasing your tail, wondering about this noise and that symptom. The only problem you should be worried about initially, is getting the engine to not only run, but idle with the choke plate fully open on a consistent basis. When you accomplish that, then you can branch out to some of the other issues. Those of us with more experience than you know that the primary reason any warmed engine won't run without the choke applied is because of one or more vacuum leaks. As I already mentioned to you quite awhile back, the carb itself could be leaking vacuum internally too, so bear that in mind if the problem persists even after after you've checked, fixed and blessed all the other external possibilities like vacuum hoses, fittings, brake booster etc. Good luck, Johnny.

TheCrazyFarmer likes this.
  11. Patrick Morris

Good thing this thread wasn't tried on Pirate4x4. Yikes.

Randall Barringer likes this.
  12. winchested

winchested High Wheeler

yup the ignorance over there is unreal.

13. Patrick Morris

Yeah. Plus, the temperament here is very mild. I mean, 500 Q&A posts and we only got snippy a couple of times out of frustration. Pirate's like walking into a red-necky biker bar or something.

14. Randall Barringer

Randall Barringer Y-Block King

I think I´d rather be in a redneck biker bar than on Pirate4x4.

Patrick Morris and RinTX like this.
  15. mallen

mallen High Wheeler

ESPECIALLY the tube gear.

One time when I was about 16 years old (Long Long ago, before the age of man, when the old gods walked the earth a time of primitive superstition before communications devices powered by miniaturized supercomputers were carried in peoples pockets) I had an old tube tv I was working on. I heard this annoying sound of static building up on the picture tube. As I had done a couple previous times, I touched the back of the tube to dissipate it. Except that noise was not static, it was the high tension lead disconnected and arcing. I woke up on the other side of my room with a bump on my head where I hit the wall, and my arm completely numb. (and my mother yelling from the other room "ARE YOU OK?" to which I responded "YEA, EVERYTHING'S FINE..") There was a tiny burn on end of my index finger where the electricity entered. Its no the electricity that throws you across the room, its actually the convulsion your body goes through from the electricity. Every muscle in your body hurts after that. If I had not had the habit of putting my hand in my back pocket whenever I reach into any electronics , id probably have been killed. Thats a good habit to develop btw. Ive gotten in such a habit I even do it in low voltage stuff. It makes sure that even if you screw up and do something dumb , that your OTHER hand is not resting on a metal desk or something and prevents a path through your heart.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2019
    RBS likes this.
  16. RBS

RBS Farmall Cub

mallen,
    A fair number of injuries with those old TV sets occurred when someone working inside the set got across the high voltage and then slammed into the CRT, often with a tool in hand, breaking it and causing it to implode. The tube glass is heavy duty, the face in particular, EXCEPT for around the neck where it is easily broken. Glass flies from the imploding tube just like it would from an exploding tube and the high vacuum inside those old CRTs caused quite the implosion. I had fun shooting discarded tv "picture tubes" with a BB gun when I was young (from a safe distance of course), it makes a very satisfying boom :)

And that is a great habit to keep one hand in your pocket while working around voltage. Always wear well insulated shoes and remove all jewelry because the increased skin contact area along with the moisture buildup under the jewelry can easily turn what would have been an annoyance or moderately painful shock into a fatal episode. Under worst case conditions a fatal shock can occur in the 20+ volt range (piece of jewelry with moist skin beneath with another body part grounded providing a path through the heart area). There is a significant danger zone between a minor shock and one large enough to cause severe muscle contractions and that in-between zone is what causes the heart muscle structure to lose internal sync. A heavier shock can temporarily stop the heart but if it resumes beating it will do so normally instead of muscle fibrillation. The no jewelry adage also applies to vehicle repair, you don't want your ring or watch between battery hot and ground or it will proceed to try to arc weld itself into place while cauterizing whatever body part is inside during this process. A friend did that with his class ring in high school.

17. mallen

mallen High Wheeler

t work, I had to explain to people (who honestly should have known) the hazards of low voltage and the precautions to take. He had these 12V 800amp power supplies. They were freaking out about safety in all the wrong ways. I explained that they were like a car battery, that in fact can put out similar amounts of current, and that they were of course quite safe. But one thing I mentioned was the issue of jewelry and rings in particular just like you mentioned and how the ring will heat up red hot and cause a burn all around the finger that will probably result in the loss of the digit.

18. TheCrazyFarmer

Ok, guys.

The "IH guru" came over today. He hooked up his vacuum gauge, but he thinks its something with the carb. He took it with him, and is gonna try to get to rebuilding it sometime this week.

So that's where we're at!

Thanks everyone!:cowboy:

19. TheCrazyFarmer

Alright everybody!

My friend rebuilt my carb, it turned out the the mixture screw needles were to long so they got bent from the throttle plates bumping them.

I had noticed the bent needles before, but I had never looked at one before, so I didn't know anything was wrong. He got a new set of screws, and returned my carb when it was done. I still cant take it off choke, so we're chasing vacuum leaks now.

I know I'm not moving as fast as you guys would, but we're still movin along.

Also, I got my vanity plates, for my truck, we call it the turnip truck, so the plates say TURNIP! As soon as I get the vacuum thing sorted, out I'll be ready to hit the road and haul to my hearts content.

So that's where we're at!

20. mallen

mallen High Wheeler

Just gotta keep finding problems and fixing them one after another until it's fixed. Your getting there.