Trouble with glow plug replacement--- HELP

Discussion in 'The BioDiesel Plant' started by russell13, Dec 5, 2007.

1. russell13

russell13 Farmall Cub

OK I know it cant be that hard. I have replaced all but one of the glow plugs on my 1980 SD33T. The one in the middle behind the fuel injection unit wont come out. Dose the whole unit have to be removed to replace a glow plug?

Any help would be appreciated

2. dick ardrey

dick ardrey Binder Driver

It shouldn't but if the pump is rotated that far into the block the timing may need to be looked at.
    I can do all of mine in two trucks without moving the pump!!

For #3 plug --- see a slot in the pump that will accept the GP electrical stem, This helps pull it out after it is loose.

Some folk remove the injection tubes, I do not. I work around them but at times it is a 'B'

I have a hex pipe clamp that comes in two pieces . The screws that hold it together are spaced with small washers. The size is 1/2" and when spaced a bit = 12mm + and will fit over the GP's. I wrap it with a hose clamp! This lets you turn the plug with fingertips and when stuck a screwdriver can grip the hose clamp to help turn it out
    Any kind of wrench is hard and sockets do not work well . .Fingers work well, if you can touch it and are strong enough to turn it. I first break it loose with a wrench.

lazer

3. jjkfisherman

jjkfisherman Farmall Cub

i have the same exact problem with my 1980 sd33t turbo diesel ??? i also need help on ehhmmm.... its those last few by that injection pump...

4. CareyWeber

CareyWeber Diesel Herder / Moderator Staff Member Moderator

If you know you are going to replace it just cut the threads off that the nut screws on to to hold the wire on.

5. biggizzard

biggizzard Farmall Cub

yea but how do you get them back in??? thats my trouble??

6. dirtclod20

dirtclod20 Farmall Cub

Mark the injection pump with a scribe and loosen the four bolts that hold it tight. There also may be a injection pump bracket that needs to be removed (on the back of the pump) see if you can move the injection pump enough to remove the glow plug. If you can't move it enough, you can loosen or remove injector lines to gain more space. When you are finished replacing you glow plugs, you'll have to bleed the injectors lines before you start and after you set the injection pump back to the scribed mark and tightened everything up.
    Marcus