TravelerMan's 79 Build Begins

Discussion in 'Binder Builds' started by TravelerMan79, Apr 24, 2020.

1. TravelerMan79

TravelerMan79 Farmall Cub

My wiper blades finally arrived. I think this is one of the first things I actually ordered.
    image.jpeg

My daughter went into town to pick up my rad. Not really happy with the booger brazing work. I'll call them tomorrow to let them know, I worked for a firm that built heat exchangers (copper tube and fin) in-house amongst all our own sheet metal, and this would not pass.

image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg

The bottom support is rusted out which I didn't notice. I'm on the fence if I should cut out the bad and replace with some fresh metal. If I do, I'll probably also clean up the booger brazing and repaint the tanks. Oy vey...
    image.jpeg

I'm taking next week off, so hopefully I'll have some time to spend on the beast.

Attached Files:

2. mongocanfly

mongocanfly High Wheeler

Wow..that's disappointing...

3. TravelerMan79

Dropped the rad back off at the shop. Said they would have a look at it. We'll see on Monday.
    My brake booster tool arrived yesterday. A bit of a joke I must say. The center pin is hollow! Lol. I assumed at least the pin would be solid metal. Live and learn.
    image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Picked up my 220V spot welder at PrincessAuto. Was $50.00 off. Also got a pneumatic hole punch/flange tool, and some large metal clamps for welding that were also on sale. One of the sales staff was super nice, and gave me some rain checks for stuff that had already sold out. Will get back at her tomorrow.

4. TravelerMan79

My manuals arrived last week from ScoutParts, but I just got around to picking them up from my father-in-law's. I had a bit of a credit so I purchased the hood knob, carb intake gasket ( the Felpro one I ordered earlier was too large), and a generic battery hold-down bracket.
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg

I pulled the carb. Seems the idle adjuster screw had the idle too high based on the position of the throttle plate. I plan on starting the rebuild today now that au have the factory manuals.
    image.jpeg

Some hardware I pulled from the rad/shroud and power steering. This is after soaking in EnviroRust/ vinegar, and about 4 hrs in my vibratory tumbler with walnut shells.
    image.jpeg

Some hardware from the AC bracket and heater box after EnviroRust/ vinegar, but before vibrator tumbler.
    image.jpeg
    I need to figure a way to get the beast in and and out of the garage with no power and brakes. I think I'll add an anchor into the floor so I can attach my recovery pulley and use the winch on my Lexus.

Gioscout2 likes this.
  5. MrKenmore

MrKenmore Y-Block King

Wow. Really frustrating to see the radiator come back after "professionals" serviced it. What a joke. Hard to find people who take pride in their work or shop owners that strive for quality workmanship.

6. J.J.

J.J. Lives in an IH Dealership

WTF on the rad? Wow, thats not good.

Purchasing the manual is a great thing! Nothing like it. Sometimes I forget that I have mine as I have been working on these things most of my life. But they can sure come in handy. I fought and fought for a couple of hours last week to get my AC Evap box remounted under the dash. Then I recalled my manuals. 90 second job after the refresher course. "remove the glovebox lid and glovebox liner,, reach thru the opening, grasp top of fan motor and pull up" DUH!

JJ in TN

7. TravelerMan79

Yeah, rad is not so good looking, but good news is when I dropped it off Friday, there were no issues about me raising the quality of the workmanship. we'll see tomorrow as it is supposed to be ready. Forgot to mention, that when I "drained" the carb, the fuel that came out was all rust/ brown colored. Geeze, I should probably have the fuel tank cleaned.

8. NorOntSCout

NorOntSCout Farmall Cub

I don't know if they still exist but there used to be a place near me when i was growing up called gas tank King, they would flush, patch, and seal your tank for about 100$. I would be honestly surprised if they are still around but maybe find similar company.

NorOntScout

Sent from my BV9700Pro using Tapatalk

9. winchested

winchested Y-Block King

The brake booster tool doesn't need to be an amazing marvel of machinery. Pretty sure in the service manual it shows you how to make one. A vernier is probably good enough.

10. Gioscout2

Gioscout2 Farmall Cub

That does suck about your rad especially when you are paying the so called pros to fix it . How they they make it right for you.