TravelerMan's 79 Build Begins

Discussion in 'Binder Builds' started by TravelerMan79, Apr 24, 2020.

1. TravelerMan79

TravelerMan79 Farmall Cub

Can't upload any more pics. I guess I have too many already. Damn. I want to use this as my diary for future reference.
    My RobertShaw thermostat showed up as well as my Brooklands book on the International Scout. Flipping through some pages, and seeing a Bronco comparison, it really makes me now wonder what I saw in them. The Scout is so much nicer looking. Lol...

Last edited: Jun 2, 2020
  2. mongocanfly

mongocanfly High Wheeler

shouldn't be any limit to how many pics you have ...a few of us had issues a week or so ago loading pics... I tried loading one at a time and it worked one day ...the next day it said they were unloadable..so I sent my pics to myself in a email..copied and save the pic from the email...and it would load it then..but now its back to normal for me..

3. TravelerMan79

Good to know. I thought perhaps there might be a limit to the number of pics per page. My iPad had just under 10,000 pics, so that could be part of the problem as well.

Previous pics that wouldn't upload.

New fuel filter. This and 6' of fuel hose was less than $10.00. That has got to be a first. Lol.
    image.jpeg

RobertShaw thermostat from FlowKooler
    image.jpeg

International Scout Road Test Portfolio.
    image.jpeg

My Energy Suspension body bushing have arrived as well.

My rad is still leaking so I'll be bringing it in for repair in the next couple of weeks. So much for the stop leak, although it did work for a little while. I need to get this carb sorted so I can concentrate on the other stuff.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2020
  4. TravelerMan79

Fabbed up a block-off plate for the EGR just for down the road. I checked the EGR valve again after seeing another vid on how to check them. By depressing the diaphragm, and blocking the inlet port with your finger it should stay open. Mine did, which verifies what I had previously tested.
    After starting the beast up again, I noticed a bit of smoke coming from the rear of the engine/trans/bell housing. I'm thinking the plate I made is not sealing properly as I never saw this smoke before.
    After starting it up, engine idled for a bit at approx 1,000 rpm, and then again it started to rise in rpm all the way to 2,230 rpm. It stayed there for a bit, and then as the choke plate opens, rpm's begin to drop, and at approx 1,000 rpm it dies when the choke is about 3/8" open.

Can't up load any pics again. Says the file size is too large for the server.

5. TravelerMan79

EGR Valve Block-off plate.
    image.jpeg

Block-off plate installed. I think I installed the gasket. Damn. Lol...
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg

Was looking for a brake booster pushrod gauge, and it seems there was no way to get the only one I could find shipped to Canada other than some older Kent Moore stuff on eBay. I don't know what the issue is, but I thought there would be all kinds available. Ended up ordering a 3D printed version which was only US$12.00 (plenty of Chinese 3D printed stuff as well, but no thanks), but again seller wouldn't ship to Canada, so I'll likely have it forwarded to Canada from my US freight forwarder in Ogdensburg, NY, but the border is also suppose to open up by 21 June.

BAER model. Spendy.
    image.jpeg

3D printed version.
    image.jpeg

6. winchested

winchested Y-Block King

You don't need to block off the EGR if you just disconnect the vac line, it defaults closed.

7. TravelerMan79

Yeh, I know. Like I said maybe down the road I'll use it and remove the EGR Valve. Just wanted to do a test fit.

winchested likes this.
  8. TravelerMan79

I decided to pull the rad as I was getting tired of coolant on the garage floor. I'll drop it off tomorrow at the rad shop. There're supposed to be pretty fast with turn around time. I'm hoping they can repair it.

Corroded header tank seam. Looks like it might have been repaired previously in the same area.
    image.jpeg

Other than that, it is in surprisingly good condition overall.
    image.jpeg

I snapped off the trans cooler lower line. You can see it right beside the lowrer rad hose. I saw the corrosion beforehand and thought it was going to have to be replaced anyways. Had to use MAP gas on both trans fittings to get them to budge. Can you buy this stuff, or is it a DIY job? I'll blast the fan blade in my cabinet. That sucker is kinda heavy.
    image.jpeg

The section that was attached to the rad. Pretty badly corroded.
    image.jpeg

Picked up my Energy Suspension bushings this afternoon.
    image.jpeg

Last edited: Jun 3, 2020
  9. TravelerMan79

For $hits and giggles, I did a search for trans cooler lines, and what do you know. Jegs lists a set for International Scout. They said they only had one left, so I ordered it. Hope it fits. Lol!

image.jpeg

10. TravelerMan79

Didn't work on the beast. I need to get caught up on some outside work around the house. Did order new seals and bearings for both axles from RockAuto. Also bit the bullet and ordered a 4" Skyjacker lift kit that was on sake at Liftkitsforless. Lol. Next will be new shackles, and U-joints for the driveshafts. That means I'll pull the axles, blast, paint, rebuild. So way more work than time at the moment, and I have't even looked at the rust. Lol...

11. TravelerMan79

Felpro engine gasket kit arrived. It has the thermostat gaskets, so I'll install my RobertShaw thermostat since the rad is out and my heater valve. Rad had to be re-cored, and itshould be ready this coming week.

image.jpeg

My Mityvac kit also arrived which will be good to check engine vacuum, and bleed my master cylinder and brakes. Turns out Ottawa Fastener has no record of ordering my McMaster Carr plastic sleeve bearings for my power booster linkage, so I just decided to order it directly today from them. I guess I'll new extended flexible lines due to the 4" lift. I think I may just make my own shackles. I just can't believe a kit is US$60.00.
    image.jpeg
    I ordered a 6-Way trailer connector for my rear bumper after reading the trailer connector thread shortly after I joined the forum. Lol.

image.jpeg

Last edited: Jun 6, 2020
  12. TravelerMan79

Started tearing into the engine bay. I want to remove the intake, and rockers for cleaning/paint, but I'm tempted to go further. Hmmm...

The RobertShaw thermostat was a tight fit. I had to lightly tap into the recess to get it to sit flush
    image.jpeg

I guess the mice/rodent nest is typical optin from the factory. Lol...
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg

13. TravelerMan79

Damn. Looks like the heater box is going need some metal work.
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I guess I may as well upgrade the alt now as well to a CS130 with 140A output since I plan on upgrading the stereo, and a wwinch down the road.

14. Jeff Jamison

Jeff Jamison Lives in an IH Dealership

On the alt upgrade,dont do it unless you update the wiring at the same time .Your wiring is designed for under 60 amps and that all goes through the dash.Do some reading on scout wiring.On the heater box,I would hunt another one.I have 2 here on the shelf but shipping is probably expensive.

15. TravelerMan79

Yeah, I was doing a bit of reading. Still not absolutely clear on the shunt wire, but I guess without it, all power goes through the firewall wiring to the amp/volt? meter in the dash which would not be could if I understand correctly.
    I may try to rebuild the box. I have a small quality metal brake, so it seems a simple enough design to fix/replicate.

16. TravelerMan79

My axle bearings showed up yesterday from RockAuto as well as my plastic sleeve bearings from McMaster Carr. The sleeve bearings are correct, but I can't get the pin all the way through the mating housing when assembled. Not sure if it is the paint build-up on the inside of the housing or surface imperfections on the pin. Funny, as I was getting ready to leave to head into town, Purolator showed up in a Discount rental van to drop them off. That is the first time Purolator has come out to my house to drop off anything. The driver also pointed out that the address (street name) was incorrect, so it was really nice of him to go the extra mile and figure out for himself the likely street name. Man, I love shopping on-line and not having to waste time travelling physically. Lol..

image.jpeg

17. MrKenmore

MrKenmore Y-Block King

Check out the links in my signature for CS144 upgrade and ammeter delete.

Great pictures and posts. This is terrific documentation!

18. J.J.

J.J. Lives in an IH Dealership

thanks for sharing with everyone your build, the pics are and will be helpful to others along the way. Much like Matthew aka Mr Kenmore in his documentation. I agree with the online shopping too, we are 10 miles from the closest town, and that one is not large enough to support much needed IH items that are better purchased online anyway as what we get will most likely be correct vs "the book said it was right" only to find out half a day later in transit that it was not.

JJ in TN

MrKenmore likes this.
  19. TravelerMan79

Thanks @MrKenmore. I'll definitely check your thread on the alt upgrade. Thanks @J.J.. I'm trying to document as much as possible for myself as I rely on the info I posted, and I hope that it prove stop be useful for anyone doing a build.

MrKenmore likes this.
  20. TravelerMan79

Rad is ready, so I'll likely pick it up tomorrow or Friday. I'm trying to order some sheet steel from the local Metal Supermarkets, but they are short staffed, and have no one that can take my order. My carb parts arrived as well.
    image.jpeg