TravelerMan's 79 Build Begins

Discussion in 'Binder Builds' started by TravelerMan79, Apr 24, 2020.

1. winchested

winchested Y-Block King

Yep, trailer brakes for sure.

I wired mine all up for trailer braking and charging using the stock harness from a 78' with the trailer wiring.

I even wired it to use my prodigy P3 controller from my 2011 F150, using the quick release brackets they have. Wired for 7 pin only. Its perfect to tow my 2002 Coleman Mesa pop up which is 3000-3500.

My homebuilt bumper is far more tied into the frame than the available class III's.

However here is the drawback.

I'm Ontario, good luck finding insurance that will let you tow with a classic. This is the problem I have had. Haggerty and echelon both say no towing unless it was a period correct trailer...

2. TravelerMan79

TravelerMan79 Farmall Cub

Damn. I'll have to check with my agent about towing with a classic here in Quebec. I had no idea it could be a problem.

3. mporter52

mporter52 Binder Driver

Do you have to have insurance to tow in Canada? Or insurance for the trailer?

4. TravelerMan79

At least here in Quebec, (I assume for all other provinces etc it's the same) trailers need to registered, plated, and insured. Even my little utility trailer is on my insurance policy with a "pink" slip in case there is an issue/accident.

5. winchested

winchested Y-Block King

In Ontario, If a trailer is being towed its insured via the towing vehicle. But it gives you no liability if it is unhooked.

I don't insure any of my trailers. Not worth enough.

Since my Scout is insured as a "classic" the policy states no towing. And "classic" is the only insurance I could find that would cover a 40 year old vehicle even with an appraisal. None of the mainstream companies would even consider it.

6. TravelerMan79

Interesting. When I first purchased the Traveler, I spoke with our agent about getting insurance, but they wouldn't even consider insuring it until it was appraised. I was worried about the house bring damaged while working on it in our attached garage, but he said house insurance would cover that, but not once did he mention there might be an issue with insuring it because of it's age. A few guys with JDM right hand drive LandCruisers in our club are finding harder and harder every year to get insurance.

7. MrKenmore

MrKenmore Y-Block King

I feel for you guys. What a pain. That's really frustrating.

8. TravelerMan79

The only good news is that car insurance is significantly less expensive in Quebec than it is in Ontario, but we pay much more in provincial income tax. Lol.

winchested likes this.
  9. winchested

winchested Y-Block King

More than the 40% I lose to the government everytime I get paid?

10. TravelerMan79

Is that all? Lol...

11. winchested

winchested Y-Block King

We live in the two most bankrupt provinces in Canada! It's awesome eh! Next to California in the US...

Back to trucks!

12. TravelerMan79

Absolutely. Looking at the cargo bed floor, it seems the whole thing will likely need to be replaced. From underneath it looks decent with the undercoating, but on top it is a different story. I see that the after market pieces are not a match with the factory ribs in terms of qty (7 vs 11), length, and orientation. If possible, I would like to keep it stock appearing, so I was thinking of wether or not it would be possible to replicate the factory ribs with a bead roller. Not sure what the stk gauge was for the floor, but if it was 18 ga, then in theory one should be able to use a bead roller if the throat is deep enough to at least to the ribbed section (roughly 36 " in total width, so a 18" throat). Hmmm. It would be fun to try replicate the floor, and at the same time perhaps add some ribbing on the driver and passenger pans to do away with those crazy floor braces, or at least reduce the number and perhaps just run one brace halfway across the pan. I'll need to sleep on it. Lol...

13. mongocanfly

mongocanfly High Wheeler

thing is..the flat sheet you start with will need to be much wider than the 36in finished product..
    and not saying it cant be done..(I know some guys with the equipment and skills to do it)..but that would be a difficult task to pull off...
    what id suggest is looking around at different trucks and trying to find a rib that's close to what you want...you can buy replacement bed floors for trucks,,or cut one out of a donor truck
    I know a guy that's restoring a 66 ford and he bought a bed floor for a new f250 and used it....and it looks great

14. TravelerMan79

Haha. I was just thinking of that as well. Yes, the floors would need "extensions" welded on. Watch this vid. This guy is just simply amazing. Simple tool/setup and he made the floor pan for an early Jeep. I think he may have a similar vid where he used his PullMax, but not sure.

I'm tempted to buy this bad boy. Hmmmm...
    image.jpeg
    Just watched this vid from Lazze, and to prevent any oil canning effect, the area being shrunk where the bead/rib is formed, should be pre-stretched beforehand.

For even more metal shaping inspiration, watch this vid where only hand tools are used, however, it is all in Japanese.

Also,just came across this guy's channel. Some pretty amazing work as well. Here he is tackling the same issue most of us are faced with. Incredible workmanship.

I'm just incredibly impressed when I watch these types of vids, and really want to see if I can learn these types of skills, and perhaps make it more than a passing interest.

15. mongocanfly

mongocanfly High Wheeler

16. TravelerMan79

Damn. Bead roller sold yesterday...

17. mongocanfly

mongocanfly High Wheeler

That's my kinda luck..

18. TravelerMan79

I've had pretty good luck getting items for my other project. This one not so much. We'll see how it goes with the rotissaire which is supposed to be ready tomorrow.

19. TravelerMan79

Speaking of the differences between the stk ribbing and that of the after market, I just came across this pic from one of Anything Scout's builds. I'm kinda surprised they didn't replace the remnant of the stk floor with the after market piece to match up the number of ribs.
    image.jpeg

20. mongocanfly

mongocanfly High Wheeler

Wow......