TravelerMan's 79 Build Begins

Discussion in 'Binder Builds' started by TravelerMan79, Apr 24, 2020.

1. TravelerMan79

TravelerMan79 Farmall Cub

So it begins. The issues at the moment.

1. No start. PO said it started 50% of the time, and just would short our the relay terminal with main power. I'll rig up a temporary switch this weekend.
    2. No brakes. I wonder why? He said I would probably need a new booster. I guess I'll start with just adding some brake fluid to see what happens. Any good reason why someone would remove the vacuum hose and plug it?
    3. Low coolant. No big deal. Again, I'll add some to see what happens.
    4. He mentioned there were a lot of vacuum leaks which caused poor idle. Any advise on what should go there (small manifold on firewall) would be much appreciated.
    5. Cruise control linkage is not connected. Not sure where it goes.
    6. Anyone know where that bulb goes?

I tried to order manuals from Anything Scout, but system prevents me from ordering outside USA. Will call them later.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

2. TravelerMan79

Ordered the manuals. Found a new starter left in the rear cargo area. Bonus. I'm not sure how I'm going to get the starter mounting bolts off. I can't even get my wrench around the top bolt. Also looking at the caliper, I don't see any mounting bolts. Looking at the passenger floor. All the supports are pretty much rusted away. I haven't seen any after market ones available yet. I'll have to do some more research.

3. NorOntSCout

NorOntSCout Farmall Cub

You mention you're outside of the US, where are you ?

If you're in Canada you can use scoutpluss.com to order parts and such. He is in BC.

The starter can be removed from below. I use a stubby on the top, of i recall correctly.

The calipers are held in place by a bolt and a shim with a spring. Remove the bolt, tap out the h shaped shim. The caliper will to out after.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2020
  4. TravelerMan79

I'm in Quebec. Just north of Ottawa in the beautiful Gatineau hills. Yep, been in touch with Rod already at Scoutpluss. Will likely order way too much stuff from him. Lol. Looks like I'll be heading to Crappy Tire tomorrow to get some 12 point offset boxend wrenches. Where about is the bolt on the caliper? There is still a lot of crud in and around it.

5. NorOntSCout

NorOntSCout Farmall Cub

Cracked open a manual for you since i have none of my scouts on hand. The brake has the retaining bolt near the bottom of the caliper.

Pictures say a few words for you. Hopefully posting the pics will not be an issue.

My sister is it Ottawa way, nice area. Last time i was in the area was 2-3 years ago.

BTW that silver box on the firewall is an emissions device. It prevents the throttle plate from snapping shut during a deceleration. Supposed to be plumbed to manifold vacuum and a dashpot on the carb. Don't need it plumbed.

NorOntScout[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my BV9700Pro using Tapatalk

6. TravelerMan79

Wow, Thanks a million.

7. NorOntSCout

NorOntSCout Farmall Cub

No worries.

I remember the struggle.

NorOntScout

8. TravelerMan79

Forgot to mention that I was at the local garage paying for the towing charges yesterday, and he mentions to me that a local farmer srapped two Scouts recently that were in better shape than my Traveler. Damn.

9. NorOntSCout

NorOntSCout Farmall Cub

Time to find the local yard before they get crushed.

Some of my best yards for parts are no longer allowed to hold inventory anymore because of changes in provincial laws.

Best to pop in and tell them what you're looking for and leave your number. You'd be surprised what you can pick up sometimes.

10. TravelerMan79

Well, I picked up a set of offset box wrenches at Crappy Tire which worked one the upper bolt. Had to use my regular straight wrench on the lower bolt. I'm a mechanical engineer, and curse every time I come across BS designs like this where you can't get a standard tool in there.
    While at Crappy Tire,mI wandered over to the parts counter, and asked if they have any brake parts and an air filter. What was I thinking. Lol. Everything is flagged in red on the screen and is "discontinued". All the parts places are closed, so maybe I'll look into RockAuto. Can't recall if they ship direct to Canada.
    Got the mother of a starter out. Having big hands doesn't help either (I'm 6'-5"). Had to get the U-bolt off that secures the shield to the exhaust. With the shield not tied to the exhaust, I managed to wiggle it out. The original? starter has a metal plate with a grommet that the wires ran through. Of course, the replacement starter has no such piece. I also decided to clean up the thick layer of oil and dirt a bit to give a nice flat and smooth mating surface. I'll probably also replace one the terminals with a soldered and heat shrinked one. Time for a brew. It is getting up to 12C today.
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg

11. Jeff Jamison

Jeff Jamison Lives in an IH Dealership

Make sure you get the spacer off of the old starter,IHs with the 727 auto needed a thin spacer to line the gears up .

12. TravelerMan79

Yes, thanks for the reminder. Of course, what do I do. Flip the starter upside down to take some pics, and then forget about it. Going out now to make sure it hasn't fallen on the ground somewhere. D'oh. Will resume in the morning if it doesn't rain.

13. NorOntSCout

NorOntSCout Farmall Cub

RockAuto ships to Canada.

CT hasn't had a listing for scouts of any sort for the last 30 years, I'm surprised to hear you got something listed.

BTW if you go to Parts Source, the CT parts chain store, they do list scouts and carry some parts. They like it if you can help them by bringing in a parts listing from RockAuto to cross over to one of the brands they carry. I did this for a brake master.

You can use NAPA fairly reliably but i find some of their house branded parts of low quality. I have a NAPA warehouse nearby and generally don't have to wait for parts.

Find a small parts store, they have listings and are willing to help find what you need. I have always had good results this way.

NorOntScout

winchested likes this.
  14. winchested

winchested Y-Block King

I too use rockauto.com for most of my "maintenance" parts shipped up her in Canuck land.

If you use the FedEx option it's usually to you in like 3 or 4 days at most.

I scrapped traveler that was converted to a Terra that originally came out of Quebec. I got it sans the axles from a guy in Apsley. The tub on that one was pretty decent too.

The frame was cut down and actually sits under the SSII now.

15. TravelerMan79

My "go to" parts store is usually Parts Source, but of course they are closed due to COVID 19. Agree with NAPA branded parts. Had nothing but problems with their rebuilt calipers for my Subaru. Will order some stuff later today from RockAuto.
    I grew up in London, ON, and we had relatives near Delhi and Tillsonburg. One even had a large tobacco farm.

winchested likes this.
  16. TravelerMan79

Just ran the order through RockAuto for all new front and rear pads, rotors, drums, rebuild kit for rear, etc, incl master cylinder.

Parts Cost: CAD$477.44
    Core Charges: CAN$50.76
    Shipping: CAN$195.73
    GST/HST: CAN$100.19

Parts price are really inexpensive, which surprised me, except the rear drums at CAN$118 a piece. What gives? Anyway, the shipping and taxes is way too much for my blood. Normally, I just have stuff dropped shipped to Odgensburg, and I drive down to pick the stuff up which is on 45 minute drive from Ottawa. However, the forwarding company is "closed" but will have stuff forwarded to their Canadian business across the river in Canada. Will check to see if shipping to Ogdensburg, NY is less expensive.

17. TravelerMan79

Ordered parts, and they'll be shipped to Ogdensburg, NY. Shipping was a much more reasonable CAN$45.00. I'll figure out how to get them across the border later. I'll likely be ordering more stuff to consolidate my trips down their.

winchested likes this.
  18. TravelerMan79

Finally got around to installing the starter. It was a bugger to man handle it I n there, support, and start the lower bolt all at the same time. Replaced one of the terminals, and the U-bolt clamp for the shield, cleaned things up, turned the key, and she fired right up with no pumping (there was a new battery). Damn. It was nice to hear that engine roar to life. Lol...
    Looking at the drivers side floor is stunning to see that the door still closes with near perfect gaps. The front floor support is gone and so are some of the braces. I need to find a rust free tub or something...
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg

Last edited: May 2, 2020
  19. NorOntSCout

NorOntSCout Farmall Cub

You can get new floor supports from the vendors.

I have a front set waiting to be installed in my garage that i got from one of the vendors

20. Jeff Jamison

Jeff Jamison Lives in an IH Dealership

Just do alittle at a time,you will not find a rust free tub,might find one a lot better than what you have though,