Traveler sound system

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by Scott H, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Scott H

Scott H Binder Driver

Wife's Traveler is getting to the point that I have to make up my mind on what size of speakers I put in it.

I have three ideas, mind that she listens to Adele type stuff, me a little more manly stuff, but it's hers but I do most of the long distant driving when we drive hers. I'm building this for around town(no tunes) and long haul stuff(tunes) in the no salt season.
    I've never done a sound system in a Traveler, just Scout 2's. This Traveler is undercoated and sound deadend to the hilt. All you could hear before I started the rear q-panel install was the flow master drone.
    Keep in mind, windows down and top slider windows open, she won't let me put AC in it??

1st idea, 5 1/4 speakers in the doors with 6x9's at the stock rear location( next to the rear seat below the ash tray location) with maybe a mild amp, or just run them off the head unit, high end JVC.

2nd idea, 5 1/4 speakers or 6 1/2 in the doors with 6x9's at the stock rear location with a bigger amp.

3rd idea, 6 1/2 speaker in the doors, 6 1/2 at the stock rear location with a 10 inch sub in the right rear inner bed wall and a big amp.

I like the third idea but she will never use it like it should be used, but it will be there if I drive it.
    I want to do this once but I've never seen a Traveler with a really good system, only Scout 2's
    Pic's and what has worked would help. I'm not putting any speaker/sub, ect in a box. This Scout will have buckets seats in the rear seat location.
    Scott

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  2. 'Mater

'Mater Farmall Cub

I have some out-dated home stereo speakers that are self-contained in their own boxes wedged between my seats. I have them on long enough speaker wire that they can be placed outside for maximum tailgating, and as a bonus, no holes cut into rare sheet metal

3. winchested

winchested Farmall Cub

That's slick thinking...

4. scout2000

scout2000 High Wheeler

this is just a "food for thought" post, that you may or may not find any value in.

My daily driver is a 1970 Scout 800a, that really has no good place for speakers, etc without cutting holes in the body, etc.

I have installed a D&C roll cage in my Scout. Safety is an obvious concern, although I have no plans to do any rock crawling or other extreme things with this vehicle in particular.

Aside from the safety issue, the roll cage in my Scout will also serve as a place to mount both dome light(s), and a place to mount speakers. My wife drives a Wrangler, and there is a big aftermarket of roll-cage mounted speaker assemblies available.

It is my plan to jump on that band wagon.

If nothing else, something to think about and consider.

5. Fred Demmon

Fred Demmon Y-Block King

Cutting holes in the body is not my idea of the way to go.
    Especially in the north. Slamming the door when it's cold out will have a damaging effect on the speakers long term
    I agree with Jerrys idea of fabricating them to rollbar/cage. Not sure if the jeep version would work because it is designed for a specific factory cage.
    All of the cages we deal with are custom. But by being custom that gives opportunity to think outside the box.

I also like 'maters idea of being able to utilize sound system when parked

scout2000 likes this.
  6. Sammy

Sammy High Wheeler

I'm going with wakeboard speakers. Mount them right on the rollbar.

scout2000 likes this.
  7. Darrel

Darrel High Wheeler

Option 4. Mids and tweeters in the doors, 6's in the rear panels, 8" sub.

8. scout2000

scout2000 High Wheeler

please share some pics once your speaker install is complete

9. Scott H

Scott H Binder Driver

Fred, I've had the same set of door speakers in my 73 for about 17 years. When you have speakers in the doors you have to use foam baffle cups behind the speakers so they don't blow out.

Darrel likes this.
  10. graedin

graedin Farmall Cub

I have a fiberglass body, mind you, so my speaker cut outs will differ from yours I assume. I have two 5.5" speakers in the kick panels (where the cowl vent is usually), two 6x9s behind the main roll bar hoop in the inner beds, two 2" tweeters just behind the doors and at the top of the inner bed, and a 12" sub opposite the drivers side fuel access panel in the passenger side of the rear inner bed. I hid the 1000w amp inside the fuel access panel. I don't run a radio, I just bluetooth my phone directly to the amp.

Darrel likes this.
  11. bull

bull Binder Driver

I think ih only is installing a stereo system in a traveler for some build off...may wish to contact them and find out what there thinking/plan is...im no fan of cutting up the interior...you will be that PO

12. Scott H

Scott H Binder Driver

Thanks, I'll look into that. And, this truck will not be sold until the wife and I pass many,many years from now. Just as my 73 Scout will never be sold. I don't butcher anything, so....

13. xixrebos

xixrebos Farmall Cub

You might want to check out http://www.binderplanet.com/forums/index.php?threads/76-traveler.122636/ if you haven't already. If I recall correctly, he has a stereo install in the build thread.

14. RinTX

RinTX Binder Driver

An idea in my head - one of those sound bars (that go below your tv) mounted on the dash.

15. winchested

winchested Farmall Cub

There was another fella on here that mounted a rugged waterproof sound as below the dash. I priced one out and they are like $600 or so. Not worth it to me but that'd be a cool option.