Traveler 4bt build

Discussion in 'Southeast Binders Association' started by TheDon, Jun 7, 2009.

1. TheDon

TheDon Binder Driver

It gets to 18-19lbs before I run out of road or approach traffic and have to chill out. Will be able to stretch it a bit more next time I go to the interstate.

It smokes when the boost rolls up, but otherwise not really any.

And today after work I installed the rear mat to cut down some noise. Will do fronts tomorrow morning.

I have never made a video with my tellyfone, nor posted a YouTube, but I'll try this wknd.

2. jhnyct

jhnyct High Wheeler

Thats cool about the smoke level. We always left the line with a 007 style smoke screen.

No worries with the magical iPhone 4. All of your videos that I took were recorded and uploaded straight from the phone itself. You just need to be logged into your Youtube account.

3. ClemsonScout

ClemsonScout High Wheeler

:punk:

4. TheDon

TheDon Binder Driver

Finally got on the open road via a clear on ramp... and got up to about 21-22lbs before easing into traffic. :punk:

Also installed passenger front floor mats and put a little leftover sound deadening mat behind the glove box door. I haven't gotten around to ordering a new glove box so it seems the volume behind the dash acts as an especially good "megaphone" for the engine noise. I also will be blanking off and deadening the stock speaker location so the noise doesn't exit there. Hey, every little bit helps... And before I install the glove box I'll wrap the back side of it with mat too. I'll be experimenting with a few other things and SEBA Land know the results. I don't expect it to be Honda-quiet, but we'll see what we can do.

I'll see if Emily will video while I drive this weekend, and take some general pics during our little outing on Saturday.

As I spend more and more time rooting around the truck, I realize what detailed work Randy and Jason put out. Really tidy wiring and purposeful, high quality workmanship all around. Thanks guys!

5. TheDon

TheDon Binder Driver

I ordered a handful of sound deadening to further improve the NOISE, but decided to nerd it out a little until it gets here on Friday.

I found a decent sound meter app for my tellyfone, which uses the phone's mouthpiece as the input device. Ninety-nine cents later, I was installed and ready for a current noise level assessment of the Traveler; the stereo was off for consistency in data. A co-worker moved the phone around the cab during all ranges of operation (idle in park, idle in drive, steady RPM low-speed cruising, regular green light take-off, and really smashing it). Idle was ~82dB, steady RPM cruising was 84-87dB, and a good throttle made the meter peak at ~98dB!

Nothing says diesel like needing double hearing protection when going out for breakfast... :oops:

And this is after the head work, rubber matting, and extensive sound deadening paint and matting.... I've ordered some additional material for underhood dampening and absorption, which should make the most difference. There will be plenty of add'l material to continue helping the interior noise. And I'm going wrap the intake tube and exhaust just in case the engine noise is being amplified there.

Stay tuned...

6. TheDon

TheDon Binder Driver

Applying some sound absorbant mat'l and sound deadening mat'l (two separate installs) underhood and behind the dash, the idle is down to 78-79dB, and peak lowered from 98dB to 93dB. I've got a third mat'l to install, just got sidetracked, and I still need to wrap the exhaust. Sound deadening is one thing, but it's just hard to combat the low drone that is the vibration of the whole truck. :)

Filling a 33gal tank is never easy on the wallet, but 3.5wks on about 3/4 tank isn't bad! I assume it is due to my grandpa driving style, but I got ~28mpg during that time. Breakdown about 80% in-town, 20% highway or interstate. The majority of my daily driving is spent at 25-45mph, typically 1600-2000rpm. I try to glide into red lights to limit the stop-and-go and use hills to help accelerate where possible. Getting 6000lbs moving isn't easy!

Unfortunately, the liftgate latch mechanism broke off. But I need to re-do the entire top anyway so no crisis. The strut holds down the liftgate tightly in the meantime.

7. gmbarker78

gmbarker78 Farmall Cub

Got any pics of the anti-sound material and install? I may be doing the Terra interior so it will be a little more user friendly. I really just need to keep the heat down, sound isn't bad.

8. TheDon

TheDon Binder Driver

I was planning to post details and pics of the installation, as some of you may be interested. But I bought the stuff from b-quiet.com --hliner, Vcomp, and B-quiet Ultimate. Prices were pretty good, and items were shipped same day, arrived 2 business days later. The Vcomp remains to be installed, but will be put on floorboards below and forward of the rubber mats.

The results would have been better but I had to patchwork it around all the mess on and around the firewall. Still good coverage, but it would be best to install that sort of thing while engine compartment is empty. The Ultimate's self-adhesive is no joke and is not very forgiving if it lands somewhere unintentionally.

9. jhnyct

jhnyct High Wheeler

Sorry but that engine compartment is far from empty. The stuff seems impressive from the website. I am intrested to see some pics of it. Also, your mileage is better than I was expecting. I was hoping for a solid 25mpg. :punk:

10. Randy Groenhof

Randy Groenhof Binder Driver

I finally got the pictures from the drive out from Kelly's Iphone.

crossing the Mississippi
    [​IMG]
    loading up the panel at Fred Demmons near Houston TX
    [​IMG]
    New mexico
    [​IMG]

I think this is heading north out of Cortez CO
    [​IMG]
    Southern Utah
    [​IMG]
    Arches national park, Moab UT (dropped the trailer to check out the park)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Just south of Spanish Fork, UT
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Snoqualmie falls, Snoqualmie WA
    [​IMG]

11. TR Watts

TR Watts Farmall Cub

Thanks for the pics Randy, Its on my bucket list to drive an IH across the U.S. You guys did a bang up job on the traveler. It would be pretty sweet to have a modernized IH. Maybe oneday when the Kids move out and I have some extra cash laying around, but seeing as my family has just started its gonna be a while.

Later,
    TR

12. TheDon

TheDon Binder Driver

I started by cleaning the underside of the hood and applying a simple weatherstripping around the perimeter of the hood. It might not make any difference at all, but there's a groove there so why not try? The existing silver stuff is the initial round of sound deadening that GRC applied. It was NOT easy to have that professional of an install, I can tell you that from having to install similar stuff on the firewall.
    [​IMG]

Then all careful-like, trace out the shapes of the hood inserts. Take care to trace correctly "L" and "R" side shapes... Yes, they're the same on both sides, but the sound deadener is directional.
    [​IMG]

The sound-absorbant material, all cut out:
    [​IMG]

And being smart about it, had some reasonably sized pieces for applying elsewhere:
    [​IMG]

Peel and stick. It's not as sharp or tidy as GRC's install of the initial stuff, but I wasn't too worried. The adhesive is pretty unforgiving too, so be purposeful:
    [​IMG]

I didn't take any pics of the firewall, but use your imagination. it looks like a hodge-podge of the same material that you see in the finished hood above, and there's a similar initial layer underneath.

13. TheDon

TheDon Binder Driver

Did a bit more for sound levels, can't think of much else to do... Got interior idle down to 74dBA and normal driving around 84dBA. Can find 91dBA if I try.

Previous tank of fuel was purposely spent very conservative with the throttle and driving manner, doing everything reasonable in traffic and with respect to other drivers to make it stretch... Probably 85% in town driving at 45mph or less, lots of stop and go. Got 28.3mpg!

Then filled up, took the top off to enjoy the weather, and commenced to thrashing it. Same breakdown but... High rev take-offs from red lights, passing people on hills, aggressive merging, etc. Right at 23mpg!

I haven't been up on the highway much, and since the rig ws geared for that I'd think the results would be favorable. Just gotta talk honey into an all-day highway run in blazing sun and 99deg heat.:D

14. Randy Groenhof

Randy Groenhof Binder Driver

How's the cabin noise with no top? Driving it like a high school kid and your still double the mileage of most scouts.

15. TheDon

TheDon Binder Driver

Free field is a bit quieter, but without the top you really hear the reflected noise from adjacent cars, fences, etc. Probably about the same in the end.

16. jhnyct

jhnyct High Wheeler

28.3!?! That can't be too far off from the Mini. That's awesome. I bet you taste the diesel after a day riding around topless. Does it feel alot lighter minus that 300ish pound top?

17. TheDon

TheDon Binder Driver

Nah, I actually don't smell too much. It runs pretty clean and only puffs black smoke when I really goose the throttle. Only time I've really noticed it was bringing home a long box from the store, with the top on but liftgate open. The exhaust was drawn back in and escaped the cab via the open driver's window (and therefore right across my nose). :hammer:

It does seem to be a bit more spirited with the top off, but that could be that I'm getting re-acclimated to driving a Scout on a daily basis and driving with more zeal. And it is kinda fun to blast past people with the stereo up on my drive home! :punk:

The Mini (Cooper S, not modified) was sold about two months ago, but you're right--the mileage isn't too far off. When driving that wheels off the Mini and with the bike rack on I typically got 27mpg. With the rack off and taking it easy I could get more like 32mpg.

18. Red_SC

Red_SC Binder Driver

Nice!

19. TheDon

TheDon Binder Driver

On the way home from work yesterday, cleared 5000 miles since build completion! The top is still off, but I think it'll have to go on soon. I don't care about cold, but it will rain eventually as the winter approaches.

It's had a few minor glitches, but nothing that I can't deal with or get fixed eventually. With a project of this scope, bugs were expected. In retrospect, I might have done a few things different on the design but I don't regret doing it. It's a great daily driver, with smooth acceleration, strong brakes, and two-finger steering. Fuel stops sting (33gal tank @ $4+/gal), but I'm only filling up once a month or so.

Anyway, good times. Just wanted to report the milestone.

20. Grey Wolf

Grey Wolf Farmall Cub

Don,

Thanks for keeping us informed :clap: