Travelall Leaking Fuel? Potential Carb Issue?

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by IHJohn, Feb 17, 2020.

1. IHJohn

IHJohn Farmall Cub

Hey y'all,

I went and pulled my Travelall out of my grandpas barn yesterday to get some work done on it now that the weather is getting nicer, it hasn't run in 4mo, changed the oil, added some Lucas Oil, fresh tank of premium with lead additive.. the regular cold start stuff. It started pumping white smoke out, crying fuel out of the bottom of the carburetor and stalling if I wasn't on the accelerator.. Figured the float was stuck and I'll tow it to the carb shop a mile from my house.

Carb shop called said that it cranked first turn ran fine with no smoke and nothing seemed to be wrong with the carb.

Two questions, should I just preemptively switch out the potentially bad 2210 for a 2300? Rebuild the 2210? Or drive it until it breaks again.

Second Question: This is my primary concern, I pretty much exclusively run off of the front passenger side gas tank, for whatever reason gas will leak out of the gas cap and drain down the side of the car, usually a decent amount of fuel too. Does anyone have any idea what this can be or what the fix would be? I just bought a new gas cap that doesn't have a dry rotted o-ring.. so hopefully that works.

2. mallen

mallen Y-Block King

You don't need the lead addative in the IH sv engines. You do however need a high zinc.motor oil.

It may have been crud in the needle valve that cleared itself, it a stuck float that jiggle loose towing it or had some gunk holding in place that got dissolved by the gassoline

3. Dana Strong

Dana Strong Lives in an IH Dealership

Are you parked so that a second tank which is full is higher than the cap on that one? If so, a defective selector valve may be allowing fuel t flow from the higher tank to the lower one. I sorta recall that could happen on my '61 Model 80 if I tried to turn the valve so neither tank was selected and I was sitting with one side of the vehicle much higher than the other, as on the edge of a highly banked road.
    While driving,, gas will reach that area when making hard turns, and that may be causing some leakage if the seal is bad.

4. IHJohn

IHJohn Farmall Cub

Ahhh good to know about the lead additive. In regards to motor oil any reccomendations? I've been using Rotella 15w-40 which I have been happy with but just thinking back I'm not sure if it is high zinc or not.

5. IHJohn

IHJohn Farmall Cub

I siphoned the rear tank dry before starting it so there shouldn't be any fuel in the rear tank. It happened last summer when I know for a fact the rear tank was empty. Maybe the new gas cap will fix the issue but I didn't know if it would be a sending unit problem or what?

6. jeff campbell

jeff campbell Lives in an IH Dealership

Re- O-ring fuel tank selector valve.with nitrile o rings to stop siphoning. Throw 2210 away. Get a 2300 holley.

7. jeff campbell

When & if you do the selector, cut around the cover gasket. Try to save it. Saved most of mine, then when i put it back together i used a very small amount of black rtv, just enough to seal it. Dont goob it on. The selector valve looks like its never been off or apart to.

8. mallen

mallen Y-Block King

As far as I know, rotella is fine.

9. scout2000

scout2000 Dreams of Cub Cadets

repost from the 1110 pickup owners manual. I didn't find this, but I'm just reposting it. Not sure what date IH moved to hardened valve seals. Also, if not from IH, do you know if your heads have been upgraded to include hardened valve seats? I've added hardened valve seats to a couple of (non-IH) 1960's era vehicles I've owned/daily driven.

1110.fuel.requirements.jpg

Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
  10. jeff campbell

Best oil for truck engines