Travelall fuel tank replacement

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by ADAM NANCE, Sep 10, 2009.

1. ADAM NANCE

ADAM NANCE SEBA Moderator

Has anyone replaced a tank with one from another vehicle? My tank is past gone and i need to replace it. Its a 73 travelall 1110 4x4 392. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Adam

2. ADAM NANCE

Forgot Its the one under the cab that fills through the fender.

3. LeeC

LeeC Guest

I'm interested in this too. Any replacement suggestions are greatly appreciated. :yes::yes:

4. pri

pri High Wheeler

Yeah, I'm getting into this too... Wanna do a replacement on the 1000B, between the frame rails at the rear. Chebby van tank is too wide and too deep.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2009
  5. Doc Stewart

Doc Stewart Content Team Staff Member Moderator

Unless there is a a large hole or the bottom is a sieve, tanks can be rejuvenated with a tank sealer kit from POR or Eastwood or others. If you have a small airport near you, they have really good stuff to coat/seal tanks.

Remove the tank. Clean it first with phosphoric or muriatic acid: put a handfull of nuts and bolts in it and with a buddy, rattle it around until your arms fall off. Rinse, drain and dry then use the sealer according to directions. Good for the life of the truck.

To the best of my knowledge, nobody makes replacement tanks. Should you find a good used one, clean it and seal it before you install it for trouble free function.

6. ClemsonScout

ClemsonScout High Wheeler

I've heard of guys using a Chevy pickup tank. I'll see if I can find out the details.

7. ADAM NANCE

Im checking out a tank off a 86 chevy p/u this weekend. By the specs it may just fit with a little modification. I'll keep yall posted.

8. nekbinders

nekbinders Binder Driver

I have tanks!! They are steam cleaned, lined, and painted, like new. $125 plus S&H.

9. ADAM NANCE

nekbinders pm sent!

10. Cory Smith

Cory Smith Farmall Cub

I'm planning on installing a Scout II tank in my '63 t/a this week. I will have to remove the furthest back crossmember and relocate it. No big deal, I will beef it back up with a reciever hitch. The tank will fit fine and my intention is to use a stainless steel boat fuel filler on the quarter panel. I will post up my progress in the Travelall Cruiser thread in skunkwerks.

11. Cory Smith

Cory Smith Farmall Cub

Repost from my build thread...

I got a good Scout II tank with the fuel filler and straps and I installed a brand new sending unit so I wouldn't have to mess with it again.

There is a small crossmember at the back of the frame rails that had to be cut out and you have to cut holes through the frame for the fuel filler and vent tube. I welded on a 3/8" plate under the holes to strengthen the frame and I installed a reciever hitch to replace the crossmember that I removed. The front of the tank straps are attached to a crossmember and the rear of the straps are attached with j-hooks to two tabs on the reciever hitch. I will add more support to the hitch later.
    [​IMG]

The fuel filler and vent through the inner quarter panel. I still need to make a plate to cover up the hole that was required.
    [​IMG]

View of the filler through the taillight hole. I had to cut a few inches out of the Scout II filler to fit right.
    [​IMG]

And the cap. I made a pie cut and angled down the opening of the filler and welded it back up to match the angle of the quarter panel. My intention is to weld in a flush mount filler door when I do the body work on this thing.
    [​IMG]

12. pri

pri High Wheeler

Cool! Just the way I was thinking about doing it! I guess evil minds think alike... :D
    I'm thinking about cutting down the tank from the chebby van, it's just about an inch too wide, which would give me about 30 gallons of fuel. It is a little deep too, but my 1000 will never see any off road, and it's still not under the pumpkin...

13. truck mechanic

truck mechanic Binder Driver

Dont know about talls. but on my 74 200 I used a 83 blazer tank between the frame rails in the back. Had to mod the xmember but not hard to do at all.
    Paul

14. cornfed

cornfed Farmall Cub

I was debating to do this tank relocation on my 71 1210 4x4 but was worried about removing that cross-member in the back as it looks like it strengthens the rear leaf hanger substantially. Have you noticed anything different by removing this? It would definitely be a lot easier if that wasn't there.

15. truck mechanic

I did not remove it,I cut down the hight of it and put a flat bar across where I cut it to make it stonger. I have had no problems with it.
    Paul

16. Cory Smith

Cory Smith Farmall Cub

The reciever hitch is directly under the removed crossmember. It's much stronger than that crossmember was. That extra bolt you see is drilled through the bottom of the uncut portion of the crossmember left in the inset of the frame. I just put it there for extra insurance. I also intend on running a bar from the center of the hitch under the tank to the big crossmember behind the axle to beef up the hitch. I'm not at all concerned about the strength of the frame.

17. Cory Smith

Cory Smith Farmall Cub

I had considered this as well but I decided I wanted to be able to use my stock fuel gauge and a matching IH fuel sender.

18. truck mechanic

I had thought about that,but I have also upgraded to new gauges as well so it was only a matter of picking the rite gauge to match tha sending unit

19. slaughter_scouts

slaughter_scouts Farmall Cub

I am interested in a front fuel tank for a 1972 3/4 ton Travelall. Is there any place that manufactures replacement tanks? Looking forward to any help. Thanks in Ozawkie, KS

Last edited: Nov 7, 2011
  20. Doc Stewart

Doc Stewart Content Team Staff Member Moderator

See Nekbinder's comment earlier in this thread...
    "I have tanks!! They are steam cleaned, lined, and painted, like new. $125 plus S&H. "