Travelall disc brakes?

Discussion in 'The Skunkwerks' started by pri, Jan 25, 2006.

1. Onelow1ton

Onelow1ton Farmall Cub

sorry to bring this back from the dead but is the dodge van/truck spindles the only option to keep the 5 on 4.5 pattern my 64 t-all panel with the 2wd ifs t-bar front end ?

2. ruderunner

ruderunner High Wheeler

I'd have to review this whole thread but, the spindle shape was the same from 61-73 just offset a bit after 67 to accommodate the 3" drums and later discs.
    That said in the early 80's Ford had the F100 that used 5x4.5 lug pattern and iirc the same bearings. I don't recall the diameter or thickness of these rotors but its worth looking into.

3. pri

pri High Wheeler

Oh God. It's almost ten years ago I started this and I'm still not one inch further into the conversion to disc brakes. Drums are holding up good, haven't had to do anything to the front brakes in all these years. And yes, it's still my daily driver. :)

stroker3 likes this.
  4. nightwingdrb

nightwingdrb Farmall Cub

All,
    I know I got this link from a thread that might have been this one (a quick search didn't find it) but, The Street Rod Manufacturing Co out of Castle Rock CO ( http://www.tsmmfg.com/Front Disc/1457.html) makes a disk brake conversion kit that uses 78-80~ Monte Carlo rotors and calipers. It cost me right at $500, was in my garage within like 3 days ( shipping to OKC), and had everything that I needed to convert my '61 C110 to front disks. They also have one for the 5 on 5.5 pattern and the old IH (1940's) 5 on 4.5.

I still need to put new brake lines in and an adjustable proportioning valve (not included) for the rear drums, but all in all the whole process from opening the box to full disk brakes took less than an hour. The longest part of the whole build was waiting for the local O'Reilly's to get the new wheel seals in to replace one that was no good. Also, the factory drum wheels will NOT fit, but, luckily for me, Ford Crown Vic wheels DO and are nearly identical to the steelies that I'm running on the rear. Once I paint them white and figure out how to mount my dog dish hubcaps I'll be in business.

I can post some pictures later, but the build quality looks to be great, the parts are COTS, and there is a real person who answers the phone who is knowledgeable in and owns IH products. As always, time and use will tell, but so far, I'm super happy with the whole process.

5. stroker3

stroker3 Lives in an IH Dealership

Disc brakes have the advantage and there's nothing wrong with a conversion if that's what someone wants but I agree. For the most part drum brakes will work just as well . As long as a driver knows how to deal with long downgrades and deep water, drum brakes will do the job just fine in these older and slower vehicles.