Transmission mounted parking brake??

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by Albuq. Henry, Jan 17, 2012.

1. Albuq. Henry

Albuq. Henry Binder Driver

A friend here in town is trying to get his parking brake working again. It is on a 1968 1600 it has a 304 the transmission he is not sure of but it is a 4 speed with reverse right and down.

Anyway he is missing the drum and the bands, the mouting brackets are bent. He was gonna ask about it at a local drive train shop about getting parts. I said I would ask on here.

Guess my questions are do I have to look for something for a certain transmisson? were they pretty standard from truck to truck or do I need to measure and see what size drum would possibly fit.

Am I calling these the correct names? drum? band? or is there shoes on the inside?

2. Doc Stewart

Doc Stewart Content Team Staff Member Moderator

Yup. They have a drum and an outside type band. There are several sizes - measure the diameter and width of the drum. Standard units. The mount is specific to the transmission - Sounds like you have a T19. Linkage is specific for the truck.

Correct the bent part of the casting with a torch and a BFH.

A brake supply house will have the bands or can reline yours.

Adjusting the unit after installation requires several steps. First, use the bolt on the closed side of the band to adjust [brake off] clearance to .020. Then adjust the rest of the band for centering on the drum with the adjuster on the open side of the band. That accomplished, adjust the band clearance at 6 and 12 o'clock to the .020 spec. Last adjust the slack in the brake handle linkage.

3. nekbinders

nekbinders Binder Driver

I have a t-98 here with the drum brake on it. Wonder if it will work. Would part with it cheap.

4. jeff campbell

jeff campbell Lives in an IH Dealership

your on the right track henry,here's a few pics-jeff,open band type &band type.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 22, 2012
  5. jeff campbell

jeff campbell Lives in an IH Dealership

some pics i just added.jeff