Transmission Inspection Plate

Discussion in 'Diesel Tech' started by Garrison Lancaster, Jan 10, 2020.

1. Garrison Lancaster

Garrison Lancaster Farmall Cub

I have a 1980 scout ii diesel, when i put the truck in any gear it will neither stall or move when i let off the clutch. I believe the clutch is blown but i wanted to know why through the inspection plate. Could anyone direct me on how to find and take off the inspection plate the manual i have does not go into transmission and i don't want to buy another one unless need be.

2. Dana Strong

Dana Strong Lives in an IH Dealership

What is the history of the vehicle? Did this problem just start or did you just get the Scout as is?
    Are you referring to the plate on the bottom of the bell housing which, when removed, allows one to see the clutch assembly? If it's clean, the few bolts holding it in place should be easy to see and to remove when underneath the vehicle. I would first check the clutch linkage to be sure it hadn't broken, possibly by watching the release fork move when someone depresses and returns the clutch pedal.
    Do you know which transmission do you have? I'd assume it isn't the problem, unless someone had been playing with it recently.

3. Jeff Jamison

Jeff Jamison Lives in an IH Dealership

Make sure your transfer case is not in neutral.