Transmission Cooling Line Fittings

Discussion in 'Old Dominion Binders Association' started by Abowman41, Aug 1, 2013.

1. Abowman41

Abowman41 Farmall Cub

This is a long sad story that I will try to compress. Needed to install a new radiator in the 70 Scout II (304/727 Auto). That radiator also houses the cooler for the 727 automatic transmission and there are two 5/16" stainless steel lines from the 727 to the radiator. Suffice it to say that the fittings were big time corroded and I broke a cooling line getting the radiator out. So I look around for the replacement lines and order them (they only come in pairs). The first set shows up with fittings only on the longer line. A call to the manufacturer get me a new set with fittings. Meanwhile, I have taken out the old lines and the bending isn't at all like the new ones, so I buy a bending tool and start to reshape the lines to follow the path of the originals. However, I also notice that the fittings on the new line aren't the same as the old. The connections to the radiator use 1/8 NPT Male 5/16 adapter to the female 5/16 coupler on the radiatior end of the line, but the connections at the transmission line are different. The upper rear connection uses a 1/8NPT Female ? elbow adapter to connect to the line, and I need to swap that for a 1/8NPT Male 5/16 elbow adapter or get a Male ? Male 5/16 adapter to use between the original and the female 5/16 on the line. Here's my problem, I need a ? NPT Male 5/16 adapter to connect the lower line to the front of the 727 but I don't know what that size tapped into the body of the 727 is and I can't take the trany into a parts store to test. Does anyone out there know what the cooling line male fitting size is that connects the front of the 727 to the radiator? Thanks! Cliff

Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
  2. Brian Huver

Brian Huver Farmall Cub

Abowman,
    I had the same issue with my scout, so I went to a local place that specializes in high pressure hoses for the liquids as well. They made me two of them and they were flexible too so I didn't have to fool around with making bends. You maybe able to find something from this site : www.parker.com and look up there quick couplings.

Hope this helps and good luck
    Brian

3. Abowman41

Abowman41 Farmall Cub

I have bent the longer line to conform to the original. The shorter one matched the take off. Both lines have 5/16 Flare Female fittings. So I went on line and found a Male 1/8 NPT to Male 5/16 Flare Elbow Adapter for the rear/upper Transmission connection and a Male 1/4 NPT to Male 5/15 Flare straight adapter for the front/lower connection. If these work, I can use the stainless steel lines I ordered and will have a back up set if I need it, though the shorter line has no fittings and the longer one will have to be re-bent to work with the Scout II configuration. Of course, I am off to New England for two weeks, so the completion of the project is on hold.

Erik Morton likes this.
  4. Brian Huver

Brian Huver Farmall Cub

Sounds like you got er figured out. Good luck with it and have fun in New England

5. stuart herder

stuart herder Farmall Cub

Thank you so much for posting this. I just now installed a new radiator and - thanks to you guys - now I know how to quickly and easily reconnect my tranny cooler - Grazi