Tractor newbie-what should I buy?

Discussion in 'Tractor Tech' started by BigRigg, May 9, 2019.

1. BigRigg

BigRigg Y-Block King

Hi gang,
    I have 6 acres. 5 of it is pasture and I brush hog it a few times per year. I had a Ford 8n fall into my lap, and it serves the brush hogging purpose. There are a few things wrong with it.
    1. Its a ford.
    2. It doesnt have a loader bucket.
    3. It's not geared low enough
    4. It doesnt have a whole lot of power.
    5. Its a Ford.

I find myself wanting more out of my tractor. I want to sell the 8n, and get an IH. But there are so many models, I dont really know where to start. I am a total newbie to farm tractors. I've worked with skidders, backhoes, graders, but this is new.

30 + hp, 4x4, loader bucket for moving things like rocks, bales of hay, scouts, trucks, and other farm stuff. It needs to be somewhat dependable, and easily had parts would be great!

What do you think?

2. DT466

DT466 Farmall Cub

It partly depends on how much money you want to spend. I tend to be a fan of older pre-CaseIH models, but few of those are 4x4.

Dean

3. BigRigg

BigRigg Y-Block King

Well...its more about the month to month than the overall price. For example, I can get a new kubota or whatever for %0 financing. But they are 30k. If I could get a comparable yet older red tractor for similar month to month, then I'd be for that. I just read a ton of info on the case/IH mergers. Interesting stuff!

4. BigRigg

BigRigg Y-Block King

4x4 would be nice, but I dont think it's a must have. I'd like a loader bucket for hauling wood, gravel driveway maintenance, pulling tubs off of scouts...and something that will do good with a brushog. In reality, something slightly bigger than the 8n, with a loader would fit the bill...if I can get parts for it

5. Packerrailway

Packerrailway High Wheeler

Try looking for a 340, 350, series in the utility configuration. I would avoid the 560(twice the HP you want) due to reputation of rear end issues and I have experienced the transmission locking in gear. Live hydraulics and PTO were standard with the *56 series.

6. DT466

DT466 Farmall Cub

An IH 384 or 484 would be a big improvement over an 8N.

Dean

7. DT466

DT466 Farmall Cub

Personally, if I were looking at a 340 or 350, I would make sure it had power steering. Pretty certain it was optional in those years.

Dean

Packerrailway likes this.
  8. Redleg

Redleg Farmall Cub

I own a Ford NAA and an IH 444. I would highly recommend a 444 or any of its older siblings - the 404, 424, or 434. Diesel versions of these have IMHO one of the best engines ever made in the 40 hp range - the BD-154. Durable, great running, and quite fuel efficient. I believe this engine also came in the B-275, 384, and some of the utility models like the 2444, 2504, 3444, etc. I have noticed rebuild kits for the 154 for under $1000 with replacement cylinder sleeves, and much less if you don't need to swap out sleeves.

If you want to do some serious loader work, keep an eye out for an IH 2000 model loader, which should mount fairly easily to the models listed above. It's really waaay more loader than that size tractor can make use of - but IH put'em on there anyway! There are also lighter duty loaders that seem to hold up well too.

I looked at a few 300's and 350's, and while I like their styling better, they are definitely more old-school in the ergonomics and performance departments. If you are looking at these make sure the steering box is in good shape, and that they've been converted to a 3 point hitch from the 2 point set-up that only International used.

None of the models I listed have 4X4. My 444 does have a peddle you press with with your right heel, that locks up the differential and I've never come close to being stuck.

These are my opinions based on the few models I have some experience with. Having owned a NAA that's similar to your 8N and also the vastly superior 444, I really enjoy having live PTO, Power steering, hi-lo range gearing, a much better hydraulic system, and a big IH on the hood.

9. kdsmit

kdsmit Farmall Cub

If you are going to put a loader on the front, or buy one with a loader, make sure it has power steering! If you buy one without a loader, and intend to put a loader on it, make sure you have a heavier front axle. If you have the funds, it is usually easier and cheaper to buy the tractor and loader that is already together. A 30 hp tractor with front wheel assist will do the loader work of a 50 hp tractor. The FWA makes that big of a difference!