Touch up paint information?

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by Peter Albert, Aug 2, 2020 at 8:51 AM.

1. Peter Albert

Peter Albert Farmall Cub

In looking at paint options for my 77 scout ii Omaha orange, I've ran across many great posts here. One of the references here was to https://www.autocolorlibrary.com/pages/1977-International.html#modal-close

Further down the rabbit hole, I ended up at TCP global, and happened to click on "Popular color selections" in the orange section for Acrylic Lacquer paint. Omaha orange appears to be one of those popular options. I would find it hard to believe that there would be too many other Omaha Oranges out there. It sure looks like IH Omaha orange to me. Too good to be true? https://tcpglobal.com/collections/acrylic-lacquer-paint-Omaha-Orange

On the same note, it seems as if Lacquer based is for older cars. Is my assumption wrong that we should be using Enamel paint for touchups and say interior re-sprays to closely match out exterior paint? https://tcpglobal.com/products/rsp-...Wgd3uN7tIXFm1W0rnLh0IXg9tEpMJ8n4aAmLNEALw_wcB

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020 at 9:01 AM
  2. Darrel

Darrel Dreams of Cub Cadets

For the best match it's better to go to an auto paint store that has a scanner. They can scan a fender to match the aging and oxidation or a protected piece like inside the glove box.

3. Peter Albert

Peter Albert Farmall Cub

I've been considering this. I suppose I was just getting a bit lazy and wanted to click "buy it now". Are some places as high tech enough that they can grab a remote scanner and go out and scan the vehicle? Don't really want to dismantle anything just for a scan if i can avoid it.

4. Darrel

Darrel Dreams of Cub Cadets

Yep right on the vehicle and my store does it for free. Not sure how common that is but call around. I got a pint for 18 bucks in a resealable container. BTW, I wouldn't go by the name that's mostly for marketing. The big 3 recycles names all the time and the color year to year can change. If you have chips those craters need to be brought up to the surface height first. Youtube it.

5. Ron A

Ron A High Wheeler

If you can find an older paint shop they should have books. Just like an old auto parts store. They can look up the exact IH paint code and match it.