Torque Converter Good or Bad. How to tell?

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by Jayrodoh, Sep 10, 2004.

1. Jayrodoh

Jayrodoh Farmall Cub

I've got two torque converters out of my 727's. How can I tell which one to use when I reasemble?

2. Chris Fred

Chris Fred Farmall Cub

Use the one that you just bought for $75 to save you from having to tear it all apart again. :p

3. Jayrodoh

Jayrodoh Farmall Cub

How do you know I just got a used tranny with one?? I just want to make sure its good before I throw it in.

4. Chris Fred

Chris Fred Farmall Cub

What I'm saying is that it's worth $75 to know that you won't have to pull the tranny again to replace it. $75 is about what it costs for a NEW converter.

I don't know of a DIY way to tell, without installing it in the vehicle. I suppose you could use something like a bore-scope to look inside at the wear on the vanes of the turbine, but I've never tried.

A tranny shop with the right equipment can test it for you, but it would probably cost half the price of a new one for the test.

5. Jayrodoh

Jayrodoh Farmall Cub

OK. It was funny you said that, because I just bought a used tranny with a TC for $75. The tranny is good to go, I just don't want to have to worry about switching the TC out later. If they're only $75, I'll just buy another one. Know of any good sources for rebuilts?

6. Mark Pietz

Mark Pietz High Wheeler

If the fluid hasn't burnt or you see junk or shavings in it, I'd just flush it out and give it a try. Here's why. Last year I had the TH200 in my son's '79 Pontiac rebuilt, and I discussed this issue with the owner of the shop. He only puts in rebuilt TCs if the owner insists, or springs for a NEW one. In his experience, the failure rate (and I've seen documented elsewhere) of rebuilt TCs is about 20%. That's pretty high. He also has one of the few TC flushing machines left, and claims that unless the unit has been abused or shows signs of ballooning, etc., they last a whole lot longer than many would lead you to believe. He just flushes them out clean. I've run that Pontiac for over a year now with no problems, and just recently got back from driving it on a roadtrip to the Midwest.

7. Paul "Misterfixit" Schulz

Paul "Misterfixit" Schulz Super Mod from Downunder Staff Member Moderator

if you are going to spring for a reco convertor and you have a standard engine 345 or bigger i would seriously consider getting a convertor with a lower stall speed - if a IHC v8 doesn't rev as hard as 350 chev or 318 chrysler why would you run the same convertor stall speed! a friend of mine has recently fitted a low stall to his traveler 345 and has reported a massive improvement in power to the ground, now he cannot hold the scout with the brakes when he trys to stall the convertor, whereas before he could easily hold the scout in place. i will be fitting a low stall to my terra project as it comes together.

8. scoutman800

scoutman800 Y-Block King

i'm with paul, more grunt is always good! there was a thread sometime back about someone using an RV type converter with a very low stall speed. good news all the way around.

9. Jayrodoh

Jayrodoh Farmall Cub

I did put an RV cam in the engine ($1800 into the rebuild, ugh) and I also put an RV shift kit into the 727, so I might as well get an RV torque converter.

10. Munchies

Munchies High Wheeler

If I were buying a brand new converter today, it would be a slioghtly higher stall converter from b&m. Like their truck/rv converter. Super high quality.

11. Jayrodoh

Jayrodoh Farmall Cub

I looked at B&M and TCI. Lot of $$$

12. Munchies

Munchies High Wheeler

13. Munchies

Munchies High Wheeler

14. Bill USN-1

Bill USN-1 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Your going the wrong way with the stall for an IH motor.
    High stalls are for racing/high rpm motors.

For a stump pulling low rpm motor, you want the rpm range as low as you can.
    IH is done making max torque by about 2400 rpm.