Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Binder Builds' started by winchested, Apr 30, 2017.
The old dana 20s had a 10 spline the later 20s and 300s had a 26 spline.
Which one do you have?
Its a 10 spline.
Well that sucks... Cheapest I have found so far for yikes is wfoconcepts.com. Still $200 CDN by the time I get it here. Going to see if 4wheelparts can order for me. We have a store here.
Well with a little googlefu and pirate 4x4, I came to find out that plenty of people have used NP231 front output yokes on the Dana 300 26 spline. All I have to do is swap the dust shield slingers on front and rear you're outputs and I'm solid.
Ordered from 4wheelparts for $150 tax in.
That is excellent info! I wish i would have known. I just bought a cv yoke for a dana 300 last week
Love it when new parts come in!
T19 cover kit, t19 gasket kit, dana 300 seal kit, 2x NP231 CV yokes, Summit stainless grip 31 battery tray.
Whole lotta painting going on!
Valve covers and water pipes are getting the wrinkle paint treatment as they are kinda pitted.
Valve covers turned out okay... Anywhere there was a run it went a little funky but looks better then the pitted rust.
New welch/expansion plugs installed.
You know how hard it was to get these lol. 1.125" is a hard size to get.
Took napa 3 days to get em. Up here in Canada napa doesn't deal sealed power parts so 381 1010 was a dud. The napa owner ordered in some of what he thought I wanted and turned out to be 1.125 cup style... We got the book out and finally found what I was looking for. Papco 260-034 is 1.125" plug.
Now I'm just waiting on my heads to be done and this engine can go back together.
Saved myself $55 bucks and made a new dipstick tube.
Well got the Dana 300 mostly rebuilt. Just waiting on new shift fork clips to come in from 4wheelparts before I can bolt it all back together and put the intermediate shaft back in.
The NP231 CV yokes fit good however I had to shape the dust covers from the old dana yokes to fit as the new ones didn't come with any.
I also had to do some clearancing on the yokes with the deburring die grinder. Took off about an 1/8th on each side of each yoke.
Also ordered new cam bearings and performance tools cam bearing install tool from Summit.
Then I need to tackle the re-seal and rebuild of the T19 cover and main assembly. Hopefully my synchro and bearings are in good shape.
I am going to rebuild the leaf springs too following @Bill USN-1 build. 1 extra leaf in each pack.
Unfortunately BDS does not sell the 2" bend clips any more so I had them ship me the 2.5" clips. I will have to get the torch out and bend them with the BFH to fit. (I won't torch on the leaf springs!)
Nice work Tom!! That dipstick came out perfect along with everything else!
Transfer case shift fork pads came in yesterday, cam bearings came in, cam bearing install tool came in. I bent all (8) 2.5" leaf spring clips flat and then bend them back around a 2" piece of square tube, Filed the slots in the caps to 2" and then bent flat and re bent to fit the 2" wide clip. All the small things are coming together.
Funny it has almost been a year depressing at the start but getting quite fun as parts start rolling in! Now just to assemble them!
Well my dana 300 is rebuilt. Finished it off tonight after work!
Got my new storage shed up, moved all the crap out of my wife's storage shed into it. Stacked all her craft crap in the garage shed all nicely and need along with 4 big boxes of scout ii parts.
Now I have room in my main shop to roll my frame in and do all my welding out of the wind.
Crap part is I have to shingle the garage on Friday/ Saturday then fix all the wrong that is my daily driver Dodge caliber on Sunday. (engine mounts, wheel bearing, brake caliper, and oil pan)
One day those cam bearings will be changed!
Dont you just hate it when life gets in the way?! I just need to bleed brakes and install hood and i can drive my scout! Probably wont happen this week! I feel your pain!
Well finally got a couple days to work on the engine. It's as far as I can get it without the heads. And they could be months away yet.
Next up is to power wash the trans and re-seal/ paint it. Also picked up a small parts kit to rebuild the cover.
Bell housing painted.
Trans re-sealed and painted. All new parts in the cover (detents, springs etc).
New input and output seals. Bearings look fantastic only the reverse gear and one of the countershaft gears have a bit of edge wear.
Seal kit I ordered must have been for a jeep t18/t19 even though it said IH. The output shaft seal was not right.
Had to cross reference the old one from a post here.
Ordered Skf 21213
Won't get the seal til Friday but got the thing painted and ready to put back together.
So was going to go with an inline tube kit for brakes but at $250 CDN I can't justify it. Then saw this kit in copper nickel for $160, then saw it in standard zinc plated for $65.
Well I figure saving the $100 will be a fun learning experience bending tube lol.
buy a tubing bender as well something like this NAPA Ultrapro PART NUMBER USE 58231