Toms 79' "WoodBine Beaster" Canadian no longer a mess SSII!

Discussion in 'Binder Builds' started by winchested, Apr 30, 2017.

1. winchested

winchested High Wheeler

I do like the look of the scout without the dump truck OE fender flares.

The windshield is not bolted in..... Welded to the fender and inner pillar... Wtf was this old guy thinking..

He says he he over $10k into this scout... I think he was off by at least 3 zeros...

This tub has been so hacked up and poorly fit back together its not worth putting time and money into body work.

I think it's getting the fiberglass fenders possibly the fiberglass windshield frame. New door inserts and body mounts and that's it.

Once I get it running/ driving well I will search the lower US for a rust free tub and start over.

Ill spend the $ getting the frame and drivetrain going.

This has zero collectablilty as it sits being so freaking hacked up. And aside from a full blown resto the tub isn't worth it.

2. winchested

winchested High Wheeler

She's def getting the cheapest DIY Bedliner coating in and out.

Good thing the fiberglass door panels will hide a lot of the ugly!

3. Justutt67

Justutt67 Farmall Cub

Wow! Amazes me what some people will sell as "good work" don't get too discouraged though most metal on a scout is flat. Easy to replace. Brace the body and go section by section. That's what I did. I also used a lot of poster board to make templates.

4. winchested

winchested High Wheeler

It would cost me far more to replace panel by panel than it would be to find a 75% rust free tub.

Makes me think more and more that I'm just going to get it driving real good and bet the snot out of it in the summer. That way I won't cry when I take out a fender or add some beauty bruises lol!

Eric true north likes this.
  5. winchested

winchested High Wheeler

Well good thing I bought the fiber glass wind shield frame.... Now to figure out how the heck you mount the fiberglass one as mine doesn't look like it had plates or nuts molded in to mount to.

uploadfromtaptalk1515710086236.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1515710133694.jpg

Attached Files:

6. winchested

winchested High Wheeler

Got the pass side outer and inners off after a bunch of zip discing!

uploadfromtaptalk1515717680329.jpg

7. winchested

winchested High Wheeler

Well today pulled the engine out. Shot quite a few squirts of oil into every cylinder, quite a bit of penetrating oil sprayed under the valve covers and especially on the valves that are stuck.

Put on the stand and rolled her over by hand a few times. Seems to roll over nicely by hand.

Plans are just to power wash it, clean it up real good, unstick the one cylinder with bad valves. Will likely lap all the valves, all new gaskets and seals everywhere. Clean the oil galleries and stick it all back together.

I'm hoping that my rings/bores are good the compression numbers were pretty even way back when I checked them. Hopefully all the bearings are good.

For now she sits on the stand til summer/fall for the refresh. Will roll it over every couple of weeks.

The plan from here on out is to lift the body from the frame, roll the frame out, lower body on to 4x4s sat on rollers and rebuild the other frame I have, the trans, swap in the Dana 300 xfer case.

8. winchested

winchested High Wheeler

9. winchested

winchested High Wheeler

Won $5G's on the lotto tonight! Scouts going to get some goodies!

10. Justutt67

Justutt67 Farmall Cub

Sweet! Whatcha gonna buy?

11. Darrel

Darrel Y-Block King

Congrats!

12. winchested

winchested High Wheeler

Going to order that new carb, complete engine seal kit. All the parts to rebuild the frame and axles. New door inserts, my list is huge lol!

13. winchested

winchested High Wheeler

So still freaking rolling ideas around in my head on what I want to build here lol!

I'm super interested in the IHpartsamerica.com SOA kit without the driveshafta etc. And the front reverse shackle. Then I don't need the 1" body lift to have good articulation with the 32s I've got on there and I could move up to 34s and likely still not have clearance issues. I feel I can get my drive shafts modded here if I need to and I've got 3 fronts to mess around with (two from an auto 1 from the SSII.)

I'm thinking restore the frame with a SOA this year, clean up and rebuild axles. New u joints brakes etc. C/turn. Chassis saver or POR 15 all of it. SOA on stock springs. (have 3 sets to play with)

Reseal engine, trans, dana 300 xfer case install. Repaint all this. Luckily clutch is actually new on this scout.

Either new carb, or DIY Junk yard TBI install. Since I'm honestly only driving it in the summer, short cruising trips I'm thinking the 0-80350 carb is my best, easiest option.

Tub is just going to get DA sanded and then Bedlined black inside and an olive drab green exterior, inner fenders and firewall Bedlined too.

Have steel front fenders or fiberglass front fenders to choose from, steel ones need the lower rear corners cut out and patches cut in.

Other big decision is a brand new top from soft topper thru Scout pluss in BC. Seems like a no brainer for $1250.

I'm not going to run doors on this rig ever, just new door inserts from scout pluss.

Needs firewall jute padding installed. Wiring needs a going over, putting the harness from a 78 that was parked in late 80s but has a full solid harness to work with.

Otherwise big thing is the freaking windshield frame. I've got a fiberglass one at home but no plates or nut sets installed for actually mounting.

As she sits the engine is on the stand ready for me to tear apart and free up the valves on #1 cylinder. My compression is good (other than on #1 cylinder). Might have to do a cam and lifters, hoping I get lucky. Did not find cam material in the pan or bearing material.

Body is ready to be hoisted off and frame rolled out of the garage and swapped out to the other frame etc.

Can't wait for some freaking warm weather to get working out side again.

Hey norther' big question, the PO welded the mounts for the roll bar to the front pass floor on both sides. Should I leave the mounts welded to the floor and just cut the bar say 4" up and sleeve the bar and bolt back together at the bottom?

My goal is to get the roll bar half ass out and bed line it or do a padding kit on it and also get rid of the ashtrays that are 100% useless with the roll bar there and cut in some holes for some 6x9 speakers or maybe just some round 5"ers.

Man I love this rig and love screwing around with it and working on it.

The Tub is kind of a lost cause, has some decent points. No rust, newer floors. Etc but it was a purely roughed in amaturely done job. Thats why I just want to sand it and bed line it as cheap as possible. Inside will prob get roll on, same with fire wall and inner fenders. Rear step bumper and front since I won't have and dough left over for some after market heavy duty bumpers for another couple years.

Oh Cant wait for spring weather!

Oh and will likely get a nice dual exhaust built for it like J Torres sweet build!

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
  14. winchested

winchested High Wheeler

Finally going to put the title in my name today. Can't wait.

15. winchested

winchested High Wheeler

Pulled the engine apart. After a power wash. Got water in the engine as the valve covers weren't sealed. Whoops. I pulled the heads and drained the oil right away.

Heads are going to go out for a refresh. #1 exhaust valve is stuck.

Ordered a 0-80350 carb and a 10" black edelbrock air cleaner.

16. winchested

winchested High Wheeler

Here's my new Carb and air cleaner! Looks sharp.
    [​IMG]

I have also sand blasted most of the engine parts:

Valve covers
    Thermostat housing
    Upper water pipe
    Front crank balancer
    Both left/right side engine mount brackets
    Alternator bracket
    PS pump bracket
    Crank pulleys

Also:
    Cleaned up oil filter mount, front engine cover

Still need to finish:
    2 barrel intake
    Water pump and housing
    Clean up water tubes (not blasting as they are rather thin)

Then I'm going to go over the block and bearings.

Attached Files:

Darrel likes this.
  17. winchested

winchested High Wheeler

Parts all sand blasted ready for primer and paint. Too bad it's too dang cold to paint here. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

18. MrKenmore

MrKenmore High Wheeler

Looking good!

winchested likes this.
  19. winchested

winchested High Wheeler

Home made starter heatshield made:

[​IMG]

Darrel likes this.
  20. winchested

winchested High Wheeler

20180310_210649.jpg Got the intake all cleaned up tonight, cleaned up the carb and intake/exhaust surface too. Hoping I got all of the sand blasting material out. I put it in parts washer and then blew it out best as I could.

Need to get new Welch plugs. Some of them were so soft a tiny tap and they had a hole in them. They all pulled out okay in the end.