Toms 79' "WoodBine Beaster" Canadian no longer a mess SSII!

Discussion in 'Binder Builds' started by winchested, Apr 30, 2017.

1. EverettBinder

EverettBinder Farmall Cub

Interesting! I hear ya, I end up thinking I’m gonna save money doing it certain ways and end up spending more heh

2. Kohler

Kohler Farmall Cub

That is literally exactly what I have in my mind for a front bumper build, minus the winch mount. Can’t wait to see it with the bull bar. Thanks for posting the details, more “borrowed” ideas from binderplant for me!

winchested likes this.
  3. winchested

winchested Y-Block King

Got a local fabricator that does a ton of Jeep TJ to JL bumpers armor etc. He's willing to take on my small job and for a freaking awesome price.
    Quoted me $120 at most. For a. 36" wide bull bar and a custom designed and lazer cut winch plate.

4. winchested

winchested Y-Block King

Built the rear bumper fellas.

Gotta order the tire carrier stuff from TMR customs up here in Ontario but that's going to wait a couple more weeks. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Kohler likes this.
  5. winchested

winchested Y-Block King

So I figured I tinker a bit more today. Oh, I couldnt resist the urge so I put the order in at TMR.

I took 3 old poly body bushings. Cut the tit off them and welded the inner sleeves to the top of the bumper. (only 1/4 slice of it x 3)

[​IMG][​IMG]

6. Greg Cejka

Greg Cejka Farmall Cub

Nice job is it an optical illusion or is there just slightly larger gap at the ens of that tire carrier piece? I am just starting on my swing out so Im interested to see what you do with yours.

7. winchested

winchested Y-Block King

It is possible, maybe the tube has a bit of bend to it? Ill check it with a 4' level when I get home. But it sits perfectly flush with the body bushings I made for the gap/ vibration deadeners for when it gets clamped down.

After a lot of my reading the biggest failure of the trailer spindles is people not properly clamping the swing out down tight.

But likely when I weld the upright for the tire in it may pull it back square.

The main upright on the carrier will get fish plated with 1/8" just for a stronger resistance to want to bend under the weight of a 35.

8. Greg Cejka

Greg Cejka Farmall Cub

oneof3k likes this.
  9. TheCrazyFarmer

TheCrazyFarmer High Wheeler

WOW! Just WOW!

I was expecting that video to go in a completely different direction!:laugh:

10. winchested

winchested Y-Block King

Single vertical 2x3, fish plated and 2x3 to triangulate back to the main bar. 2x3 offset to the wheel mount plate with a good sized gusset under that. Not sure what I'm doing for Jerry can mounts yet. The ones I've found up here in Canuck land only option I seem to find that is decently priced is the cheap smittybilt ones at $55ea.

11. rotten

rotten Farmall Cub

If you're using a traditional Jerrycan, I made mine out of some angle iron with a bunch of pie cuts to mold it around the can and welded back together. I'll get some pics for you tomorrow.

12. winchested

winchested Y-Block King

I'm using NATO style Scepter plastic cans.

13. winchested

winchested Y-Block King

Got home from work last night and went to the shop (kid has the flu and can't afford being near that shit) spent a few hours sorting out my trans and xfer case breathers.

Wanted to get rid of just the stupid little steel caps that don't hold the water back.

I tube them together with 2 barbs and a tee 3 way barb and ran it up the fire wall, made a tiny little clamp bracket off the driver side of the hood latch. All 5/16 fuel line and then running a Spectre 3/8 breather filter.

Should be able to ford 4 ft deep water with no prob now! Haha.

Decided to sell my stock bumpers (if anyone wants them for that stock classic resto appearance let me know and I'll bring them to Harvester Homecoming (got the listed on local classified for $450 CDN obo)

Also been pondering the future, (years away yet)

A set of 4:1 gears in my xfer case. Chromoly shafts in the front diff. (trussed with PSC hydro assist) some kind of locker.

Rear can stay with the Aussie style locker. But with new shafts, straightened and trussed.

Stay with 3.73 gears so it still drives decent on the highway.

But with the 6.3:1 granny, 4:1, and 3.73 my LO range is 94:1.

I'm currently only 61.5:1 with the 2.62 low in the 300.

This way I keep a good turning radius, have bullet proof dana 44s. And still good driving manners...

Or just throw that out the window and toss in dana 60s or a 60/14 bolt and then have to buy all new wheels etc. Man to think of the future when I haven't even drove it as is yet.... Maybe that's stupid hahha!

14. Darrel

Darrel Dreams of Cub Cadets

Once upon a time I was 60-1 with a T19c and 4-1 Tera Low kit. Pretty decent on trails up to and including the Rubicon. That was with 4.11s and 33s.

15. winchested

winchested Y-Block King

We're you on the clutch alot?

On another note my TMR order came in and I got the spindle welded in tonight (they actually machine their own it's not a trailer spindle). I wrapped it in a coat to allow it to slow cool overnight. Pictures tomorrow!

16. Darrel

Rarely used the clutch. Pretty much only when I needed to completely stop. In the rocks I would always start it up in gear. Bump the ignition and it would fire right up and start rolling along. No lurching at all. I could easily step out and out walk ahead. Tall logs, boulder field etc. you need to gently feather the throttle. Not enough grunt to idle over big obstacles, but very controllable. That was a 304. 345 with longer stroke would be better. Plus I didn't have a vernier.
    94-1 I imagine you could about climb a stump without feathering. Harder to stop though. At 60-1 it'll die before even coming close to pushing through the brakes.

winchested likes this.
  17. winchested

winchested Y-Block King

Heres round one of welding it out.

Just 2 more gussets and 2 2x3 pieces at 45 deg to brace the upright a bit more.

Still figuring out where I want my clamp and if I'm going to run 1 or 2 of them. Also need to figure out a pin hole plate for my locking pin. [​IMG][​IMG]

18. Darrel

You do awesome metal work!!!

19. winchested

winchested Y-Block King

I don't know about awesome lol but I can get buy. Wish I had a plasma cutter! Or a portaband.

I appreciate the good words.

I think the biggest thing was just saying screw it and try it myself. So far I'm in about $500 in materials compared to spending over $1500 on similar bolt on bumpers.

Now to find some vertical Jerry can mounts. Smittybilt are $58 ea on Amazon.ca. Company in Canada. Blackwidow gear makes some horizontal mounts $50 out of 1/8 plate but I want vertical with provision for locking. The frontrunner ones are like triple the cost at like $150 ea which is absolutely retarded.

Now to decide. On whether to powder coat or just prime with a good oil based primer and then semi gloss oil base.

Powder coat seems good for a pavement princess but not sure how it holds up offroad. [​IMG]

Kohler and Darrel like this.
  20. Greg Cejka

Greg Cejka Farmall Cub

Powder coat I think is 10X the thickness of paint but also about that in cost. I just primed and sprayed bead liner on mine. I think it will be durable enough and easy to touch up when I need to.

winchested likes this.