Toms 79' "WoodBine Beaster" Canadian no longer a mess SSII!

Discussion in 'Binder Builds' started by winchested, Apr 30, 2017.

1. TheCrazyFarmer

TheCrazyFarmer Farmall Cub

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO! You cant just put it to bet for two years after you spent so much time on it.

I think that's a good idea, having it insured in your dads name so you can still drive it. I'm sure your just itchin to drive it!

:cowboy::thumbs up:

2. winchested

winchested High Wheeler

Well fellas. Been still trying and trying to get insurance.

The government rules in Ontario are absolutely retarded. Basically 2 at faults in my name within 6 years classes me as a high risk driver. Therefore the only insurance I can get that I don't currently have is what they call Facility insurance. Which is high risk and or you have been charged with numerous fines etc. Basically 2 accidents which only 1 was my fault but the insurance company sees it differently makes me a high risk driver even though in 16 years of driving I've never had a ticket or been fined.

Facility isurance is $3500+/ year for liability only on the scout.

My current insurance company that my DD's are insured with does not want to take on a vehicle the age of the scout.

Classic car insurers state no claims within 3 years of application....

Therefore... She sits idle in the garage for a few years. It's complete extortion and a giant scam on part of the government in this democrat styled province of Canada.

I sold my trailer a few weeks ago too so now I cant even trailer it anywhere. Frig.

It's 100% legalized extortion right from the government based on their regulations.

No where does it state that the insurance has to be affordable, only state that it's available to you.

What's my best options for long term storage?

Start it and run it every couple months?

Let it warm up to running temp and then shut her back into hibernation?

vince konicki likes this.
  3. TheCrazyFarmer

Aww man that sucks! :C

So there's no way you can register it to a different person that you know? Friends, family, ANYTHING?

I'm so sorry this happened! You put so much work into it.

DANG!:no:

vince konicki and winchested like this.
  4. mongocanfly

mongocanfly Binder Driver

Man,,,that sure sucks..3500 for liability?.....wow
    If your gonna store it it would be best to crank it every couple weeks...I'd keep a battery tender on it..maybe store it somewhere that you can drive it on a back road with no traffic...I would definitely want it under a roof if some type...

5. winchested

winchested High Wheeler

It's in my garage. Unfortunately I live in town and I can drive it from my garage to the front of my drive... About 120'...

6. mongocanfly

I'd use stabil and ethanol treatment in the gas also...
    120ft at a time would get boring....really quick..

7. winchested

winchested High Wheeler

Teased myself today by firing up the scout, going down the drive way, crossed the road and turned around in the lot and then backed it back up my driveway....

8. TheCrazyFarmer

Do you know anyone who lives in a rural area?

Like Mongo suggested, you could store it somewhere in the country where you could drive it on back roads.

I know where I live, I have pretty much never seen police on the country roads. I have no idea what rural areas are like in BC though.

:cowboy:

9. oneof3k

oneof3k Binder Driver

Not quite close enough to the CO San Juan Mnts
    Probably time to rebuild the engine with all those miles (or km up north, I can't remember now)?
    Not my thread so opinions should be measured, but, the point of insurance is not to run away from it. Unless Tom is loaded to the gill, I would hate to see him lose his house (or the Scout for crying out loud) in the unlikely event of a mishap. With a Porsche. Or a Ferrari. Or someone's little kid. This insurance thing will work itself out, and I'm sure in less then the identified three years. But trailering the Scout to the boonies does sound appealing!

10. Brandon A.

Brandon A. Binder Driver

Sell it to your dad so it's legal have him insure it if that's possible. That's the approach I would take.... It would get you on the road legally....Hopefully i didn't miss anything while reading..... Best of luck....

11. winchested

winchested High Wheeler

I'm waiting on a call back from my current insurance company about liability only. Something to do with my appraisal didn't list the modifications, something about modifications can't be worth more than $10,000. I told em no more than $2500 in modifications the rest of the value was in restoration like steering, brakes etc.

Otherwise I will be doing just that Brandon. My dad said it's $1000/year in his name for full daily coverage but it needs another safety inspection and an insurance appraisal for State farm (Desjardins now in Canada) so I'll wait til next spring as this years driving season is almost over anyhow.

jeff campbell likes this.
  12. winchested

winchested High Wheeler

Well got the big ol deny hammer this time.

Now they state they won't insure a vehicle with any modifications at all. Which is complete bs. Everyone has they're own version of what a mod is in the insurance business it seems as I get a different bullshit answer from all of them.

I wholy regret doing the spring over now and wish I had of just gone with a 2-4" spring lift because it looks stock enough. Same with the reverse shackle as it makes the front end look "modified".

If I can't get insurance by early spring of 2020 I think she's going up for sale. I'm sick of this depressing bullshit.

13. oneof3k

oneof3k Binder Driver

Better be careful of what you say here....someone might dangle a carrot or a very small handful of Benjamin's and you might just take it in your current state!

14. winchested

winchested High Wheeler

Maybe I can trade it off for a used Heep JK with 37s and likely have no issue insuring it as it's not over 20 years old.

I'm just so sick of living the "free" life in the bastion of liberal bullshit in what is supposed to be the epitome of the world that is Canada.

15. mongocanfly

Man that bites....

16. winchested

winchested High Wheeler

So now my dad's insurance has denied him Insuring it due to it being modified. "we don't insure modified vehicles" was said yet again.

So looks like classic policy may be the only way to go.

Legalized extortion.

This vehicle has already passed government safety inspections.

So in my opinion 80% of the trucks, older vehicles in this province of Ontario are to be considered uninsurable....

17. MrKenmore

MrKenmore High Wheeler

Wow. That is really terrible. Sorry you're going through this Tom. In retrospect, do you think you would have been better registering and insuring it before you did all the work? I know it wouldn't have been on the road but in a make no sense manner the insurance people would have given you coverage for an "unmodified" vehicle???

winchested likes this.
  18. Wombat

Wombat Farmall Cub

Wow dude, that's a rough way for the story to end. I'm really sorry to hear this.

Maybe instead of selling it you find someone who would trade you a scout of equal value that is less "modified".

Regardless this thread had recorded all your hard work and can be used to leverage a sale or trade.

Good luck.

winchested likes this.
  19. winchested

winchested High Wheeler

Thanks for the good words guys. I'm not selling, she will just sit til I get the proper insurance. Or someone let's me move to the US. Maybe Utah. Any millwright jobs out there for foreigners lol. I promise not to be an illegal and get my citizen ship!

20. oneof3k

oneof3k Binder Driver

Tom, I think you would be much better qualified writing/editing an expletive dictionary! (I'm getting back at you for your April Fools Day post on my thread :punk:).