To remove rear quarters or not?

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by BO185, Jun 5, 2016.

1. BO185

BO185 Y-Block King

So my Scout II has sadly been sitting for years now on my rotisserie, and I need to get it going again...

I got most the metal work done for most part, new floors etc. Some small parts, I have to redo (change in direction), but nothing major. So the question is do I want to remove the rear quarters to clean and rust poof? The driver side add holes in the front lower part. Which I cut out and need to repair. It didn't look to bad inside. Dirty and some rust. So remove quarters media blast tub, rust proof, then reinstall.

Whats the best coat for the inside of the quarters? Epoxy prime then reinstall them then prime rest of tub?

I just don't want to get it painted etc and it start rusting threw etc from the inside. The rockers I coated inside with POR15 when I did the floors.

2. Darrel

Darrel Dreams of Cub Cadets

Pictures?
    From what you describe it would probably last for decades if you sprayed it down with oil once a year. But with it already torn down and on the rotisserie I say do it now.

3. BO185

BO185 Y-Block King

Have to get pictures, but yeah i was leaning just to remove and blast prime and reinstall.

4. KeithM

KeithM Farmall Cub

I just got my '73 body off the frame and am working on fabricating a rotisserie...let us know what you decide to do, I hadn't considered pulling the quarter panels and would think it'd be a hell of a job- aren't they spot welded in?

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

5. sully0812

sully0812 High Wheeler

They are. But it's pretty easy to walk a drill bit around the spots and pull them off. It's a lot of work for a truck on the ground. If you've already got it on a rotisserie I would go ahead and do it. If you don't, you'll always have that nagging voice in your head wondering if you made the right choice.

BO185 likes this.
  6. BO185

BO185 Y-Block King

I am going to remove them and clean and rust proof. Mine are pretty "clean" rust wise. There is dirt etc. But I figure might as well. Since I would hate to paint and it rust from inside out. Also I plan to drive mine alot so extra insurance against future issues.

7. BigRigg

BigRigg Y-Block King

I also vote to remove. My quarters had very little rust. but when I pulled the quarters, all kinds of dirt came out. it was packed in between the moon, and the quarter. I regularly pulled the rear speaker and tried to wash out the quarters. I couldn't see the dirt, but it was just a matter of time before the rust would have formed. Prime, and at least put some rustoleum spray paint in there. Then once installed, use a wand and fill that cavity with something like fluid film.

8. jeff campbell

jeff campbell Lives in an IH Dealership

see your truck's lil brother on ebay ? listed here some where,i think in the ebay section.thot of you when i seen it. jeff

9. kevingweq

kevingweq Y-Block King

Jeffoh Good to have you back