to much breaking

Discussion in 'oIHo Valley Binders' started by Jeff Jamison, Oct 30, 2013.

1. Jeff Jamison

Jeff Jamison Lives in an IH Dealership

Everthing is breaking at the same time.Started with carb on the 74 scout I drive everyday,running way to rich,so I pulled the one off of the travelall(both 1406 edelbrocs) ends up one of the needles does nothing(clogged inside)get a rebuild kit and rebuild the original,runs alot better,but then rear U-joint starts shaking,replace it,the front one I drop a cap and loose bearings,start tuning carb,oil all over manifold,valve cover leaking,replace gasket,fins alot of oily blowby,then back to the carb to find idle screw froze into the carb,its running alittle fast,and it will probably stay like that for awhile
    Jeff

2. mormetl

mormetl High Wheeler

When it rains, it pours - sometimes you just have to laugh it off, Jeff. Today, I got to replace my alternator in my Ford and I think that I too need to replace my u-joints as well. But as Randy mentioned when I talked to him earlier, I can't complain. 1 year ago today was my first official haul and I've put just about 100k miles on the rig since I got it last year. Woohoo!

3. Jeff Jamison

Trust me,I was laughing about it,just wondering what else would break on the test run.Icant beleive you have that many miles on that truck already,I would keep repairing that one,seems like a good one
    Jeff

4. Dennis Bernth

Dennis Bernth Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Jeff, at least you're getting to work on your IH's. My truck and engine is still in the same spot and same condition, so far I've had 'fun with septic tanks', 'fun with (whatever daily driver is broke today)', and I'm about to get into 'fun with leaves' since it looks like most of my trees dumped about 50% of their leaves overnight in the rain. AND, I have yet to put the new 'chonda' engine from Harbor Freight onto my leaf vac, so I'm sure I'll have some fabricating to do there before it's up and running. I wish I could work on the truck so I could break something on it, but it's not happening for a while yet :taz:

5. gpa

gpa Binder Driver

Dennis,
    let's get that '69 on the road!
    Priorities man!

6. Dennis Bernth

Dennis Bernth Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I hear ya, but it's nice to be able to flush the toilet without it backing up all over your feet....for some reason my wife thinks that should take priority :confused:

I'm actually getting all of the other 'honey do' type stuff done, the leaf vac is the last big one, that and the actual leaf pickup which is weather dependent. Making a run South to down by Springfield OH this weekend to pick up a new waste oil heater for the shop, so I'll be able to work this winter in comfort anyway.

7. Scott H

Scott H Binder Driver

Don't ya love the alky they put in the fuel now!!!? Just eats carbs up!
    I "could" build ya a really nice Q jet or better yet go with EFI, lol finding time for that.
    Scott
    p.s. start putting marine sta-bil(blue-green this year) in everything that sits for more than two weeks, it will really help!

8. Jeff Jamison

I have 3 or 4 Q-jets sitting here,I will ship them to you when you get back home.One I rebuilt and was running decent,but had what sounded like a loud whistle all the time.
    EFI will be soon on one,cant afford 4 setups at once
    Jeff