To Get New Seats or To Cover Old Seats?

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by trailerjack, Jan 30, 2009.

1. trailerjack

trailerjack Farmall Cub

Which way do you think is the most economical way to get my old ratty buckets back to their glory days...

Should I...
    A) Get them covered professionally OR
    B) Just get aftermarket buckets and fabricate them in myself

If I go the route of the New seats, does anyone have a brand or a model that they would recommend as an easy transition in to my scout.

2. rlireland

rlireland Content Team Staff Member Moderator

You're right. Replacing the seats could be cheaper if you can find a good set in a junk yard or elsewhere. Rebuilding/recovering the original seats can run a couple hundred buck apiece. I don't have any specific info, but serveral people have done swaps like this. You might try searching for "seats" or "seat swap".

Roy

3. Matt Pring

Matt Pring Farmall Cub

Biggest "problem" I have found with new seats is constructing new bases... The seats I got (from a subaru) were to high to bolt directly to the old bases. Now I have to construct new bases (by tying them into the cage).

But all said - if you can find them in a JY, it is the cheapest, and can be the most comfortable.

4. Paul "Misterfixit" Schulz

Paul "Misterfixit" Schulz Super Mod from Downunder Staff Member Administrator Moderator

As said before a great set of seats can be found at most junk yards, look for ones with a thin base otherwise you will find the front of the seat sits up too high and head will be much closer to the roof which will alter your vision out of the vehicle, i found a set of Mazda seats from a mid 80's 929 sedan, most comfortable seats i have ever owned, the back rest is in 2 parts so the range of adjustment is amazing.

5. Paul Morgan

Paul Morgan Banned

Kirk used some killer Jeep seats that he got at a swap meet for 50 bucks
    They go on the original seat bases I think
    You should ask him
    Come to think of it, he had a bench seat, so I'm not sure what he did for bases

6. TimGott

TimGott Farmall Cub

I picked up a pair of Grand Cherokee Seats on Craigslist for 40 bucks.. then bought a couple of pieces of 1/4x1x24'' flat stock... drilled them accordingly and blammo... nice buckets on a scout base... dont have the ability to flip up that far.. but i dont ride back there :) they are higher than the scout seats too... but I dont hit my head on the roof.. and its more like a modern vehicle not such a low ride.. (would have to look down (or over the windshield frame) to see traffic lights) I Might cut my bases down.. i dunno yet.. but they are some comfy seats. and cheap..

7. Allan E

Allan E Lives in an IH Dealership

My biggest beef with any vehicle is inadequate headroom, or else inadequate leg room. This is also true of brand new, full sized vehicles, but Scouts and C series pickups are especially hard for me to fit. (With pickups, it's the legs under the wheel thing, not the height).

Measure carefully the height of where your "pants pockets" fit, and also measure the distance from the pedal, and from the top of the seat to the bottom of the steering wheel. When I put new seats in one of the scouts, I will most likely rip out the old mount and at least move it back a few inches, or else I will use something really close to the deck. I have a couple of seats from a Mercedes that appear to be a good fit, but I have not had a chance to give them the acid test.

8. surfnturf

surfnturf Binder Driver

I used seats from a Porsche. They had a thin base and fit great. Originally I mounted them on ange iron and then to the base but now I made a tube base tied to the cage.
    Quadratec has seats for as little as $120 each. I would still go junkyard shopping though.
    [​IMG]

9. Robert JetFxr

Robert JetFxr High Wheeler

We used seats from a two door expolder, six way power and they bolted directly to floor pan. Just watch your arm rest it can be very clost to the seat back. I did have to fab a spacer on the outboard side of the floor as the Scout floors slope toward the door,

Attached Files:

10. Hutch

Hutch Farmall Cub

I installed a racing suspension seat by Race Trim in my scout with the slider. It bolted right in and was reasonably priced. Super comfortable, looks good. Chirco automotive in tucson carries them.