"Tip" Scout 800 build

Discussion in 'Binder Builds' started by walkersscout, May 1, 2016.

1. walkersscout

walkersscout High Wheeler

Got a few more things done on my tbi conversion. I pulled the fittings off the back of the throttle body and determined they are a 12mm and 14mm, so I ordered two adapters to go to jic. Reconnected the brake booster to the large port on the front of the TB. And capped the rest of the ports.

I made a new bracket to hold the throttle cable and machined an eyelet to go on the end of the cable. The 10-32 threads were a pain to tap into the 304 SS.
    KIMG0240.JPG
    I also made an aluminum bracket to hold the ignition module and coil. There is only one bolt there, but the bracket rest on the manifold in 3 other spots so hopefully it will be okay.
    KIMG0245.JPG

I also got my distributor duraspark conversion done except for the reluctor and pickup.
    KIMG0247.JPG
    Still need to connect the fuel pump, install the harness, mount the computer, and install the distributor.
    I took apart my VSS because the wires were broken at the top of it. I tried to turn down the plastic enough to be able to scab wires onto the top but it flew apart as soon as the cutting tool touched it.

I also need to figure out if I need to run the knock sensor and ESC box. The computer was reprogrammed to run it on the last truck. I am not reprogramming initially due to time constraints. The new harness does not have it as an option. I have the parts, so I can add it if needed.

2. walkersscout

I got the duraspark reluctor and pickup installed. Also got started on the harness, but no pics yet.
    KIMG0252.JPG

Scoutcamper likes this.
  3. walkersscout

No pics right now, butI managed to get my TBI done well enough to drive to Rendezvous. I drove up the block Friday night then parked it. Saturday morning I pulled the top off, threw in a coat, some blankets for the dog and took off for the gas station. I called my buddies in the club and askedif they were still willing to come and get me if I broke down on the way. They were, so I made it to the gas station, put in 9 gallons without the pump clicking off or spitting fuel out. Then I took off for Payson Az. Some where around 2.5 hours drive and 4,000 feet change in elevation. I did have an odd malfunction on a long hill climb. I had a sudden clacking so I pulled over. I assumed I bent a push rod. Started it up again a few minutes later and still the same, so we trailered it to the camp (10 miles). Started it at camp and no ticking. So I took it on the club run with no problems. On the drive home the same thing happened but on a slight downhill, lower temp, lower speed. The odd part was thatI never lost oil pressure. I had 50 psi when it did it on the return trip. I believe I have a lifter sticking. I will need to look into a set of lifters.
    Aside from that there are some issues with the TBI conversion. First may be the fuel pump. The gsl392 that I got with all the parts was bad. I primed the system with it, but it was not pumping at all when I tried to start it. I put in an unknown used pump that a buddy of mine had and the motor started and ran. I have not checked fuel pressure. This may be a contributing factor. I ordered a new gsl392 and will swap that in before I do anything else. Next is the 7747 ECM. It was tuned for a 350 chebby with a knock sensor and a VSS. My harness has neither, so those items need to be tuned out. I also wonder if the temp sensor doesn’t like running at over 200° And is causing an issue. Biggest complaint is that it lacks power under 2000rpm, and when loaded in 4th gear, going up a hill I have plenty of pedal left, but it seems to stop fueling at half throttle.
    I will fix the current known issues and then see what needs to happen next.

4. mlc8761

mlc8761 Farmall Cub

Would you tell me more about what parts you used to make your hood struts and brackets. I see where you positioned them I just do not know where the brackets came from. I read the struts are JGC but would you explain a little more in depth to help me out.-Matt

5. walkersscout

It originally came from a guy over on JIH. He did it with used hood struts from the JY. I just bought new struts off ebay, about $20 a pair, IiRC they are 60# each 20” long gas struts. It takes some digging to find the right struts for the right price. I just made the brackets out of angle iron and used the fender bolts to hold them on. Once you make and mount the upper bracket I just took a closed measurement of the strut and mounted the rear bracket. I probably had to move the rear hole once to get it right. Read through the thread and if you have any questions just PM me.

https://www.justih.org/forum/main-tech-forums/scout-80-800/17813-10-00-hood-lift-mod/page5

6. mlc8761

mlc8761 Farmall Cub

Thank you.

7. walkersscout

Hopefully these pics will help you out a wee bit. The hole on that bottom bracket is 1.5" from the top of the angle iron and an inch forward of the second from the rear fender bolt. The top bracket is 4" in length with the hole about a half inch from the rear edge.
    KIMG0258.JPG

KIMG0259.JPG

mlc8761 likes this.
  8. mlc8761

mlc8761 Farmall Cub

Thanks for the placement dimensions that helped alot. I have cut out the brackets and have ordered the strut. - Matt

9. walkersscout

You do need one for each side of the hood.

10. mlc8761

mlc8761 Farmall Cub

11. walkersscout

12. scout2000

scout2000 Lives in an IH Dealership

13. mlc8761

mlc8761 Farmall Cub

20190727_175127.jpg 20190727_175135.jpg

scout2000 likes this.
  14. walkersscout

I try to do a project every year before our Rendezvous. But even since we are having a NONdezvous this year, I still did my project.

I added a louvers to my hood. I tried to keep it tasteful. This is mainly utilitarian to me, for trying to get rid of some excess engine heat. I have only taken it for one drive, today, as I was trying to log data for my TBI swap. Since I had my computer on it, I can tell you that it peaked out at 218. It is 102 outside today. Still a bit more than I like, need to work on my fan setup more. I did notice reduced heat in the cab until the end of the 45 minute drive when everything gets heat soaked from the engine and road heat.

KIMG0303.JPG KIMG0304.JPG

15. scout2000

Heat soak seems to be a recurring theme. I'm brain storming on how to attack the same problem.

Right now, I'm thinking hard about using some of that fancy header wrap material, and covering/wrapping as much as I can, from the back of the exhaust manifolds, to (minimally) the end of the cab area, and possibly further.

walkersscout likes this.
  16. walkersscout

Yeah, that’s has been on my mind as well. Ideally, I would like to get it to the point that A/C would have a chance a cooling the cab. I am experimenting with the lizard skin/HNR products right now. They initially seem to keep heat at bay, but after a soak in the heat it feels the same as the other.

scout2000 likes this.
  17. scout2000

I'm interested to hear how you do with this. Please post results.

Assume you are, but just to bring it up, Comanche Scott did a pretty indepth thread a couple of years back, where he worked/applied all kinds of sound deadener/heat shielding stuff and posted some good results.

At least for right now, I'm limiting myself from applying lizard skin, or anything that is essentially there forever. Once I get done with all my side projects, my 800a is headed off to body && paint, and the plan is to not do anything that would torque them off, or cause additional work/billing.

18. walkersscout

I think engine bay heat shields are the way to go. I painted a couple square feet of the HNR on my shop door and I can’t detect a difference during the heat of the day. I may still spray it on the firewall pre bed liner. Also might try the under side of the tunnel cover. Then just get some heavy jute and carpet stitched together to make removable floor pads.

i did read through that thread, I’m just not super happy with putting carpet and pad on my floors permanently, already fixed them once, and I always get a little water inside after a trip in the rain. I keep chasing and fixing them, but it seems like there is always something.

scout2000 likes this.
  19. scout2000

Looking forward to seeing your results. Could be that the best answer is a combination of several methods.

I definitely understand. If nothing else, assuming we are talking about the same thread, a valued (former) forum member jumped thru a lot of hoops to do different experiments, all with varying degrees of sound and heat reduction.

Looking forward to seeing how your efforts play out.

20. walkersscout

I have been needing to tune my DIY GM TBI FI. It has a few driveability issues due to the stock tune, mostly in the lower rpm range 1000 to 2000 rpm, it just doesnt like to shift into 2nd, 3rd, or fourth under 2000rpm after you shift and let out the clutch.

So the thing that seems to stall a lot of DIY guys is getting WINALDL on their computer, having it actually work, annd being able to log data. I reset my old laptop so there was nothing on it except whatever came on it new. I loaded WINALDL, used Bills USB cable to connect to the aldl connector. After configuring, which was pretty easy, I got the flashing green ‘20’ and was actually logging data. So I went for a 45 minute drive in 104* heat and had filled in a lot of the boxes, hit stop logging, then saved the data. I saw a box that said saved as 2020135 142154 BLM.txt. Great, I logged my first data and saved it.

A couple days pass, and I download TunerPro.net. I was trying to find the data file and could find it nowhere. So off to the internet. It turns out if running windows 7 (oddly my XP computer factory reset to 7) that you must install WINALDL in the Documents file or it will not save data. I did that, then made a new shortcut. I opened WINALDL while not connected to the Scout, and saved a blank BLM file. Low and behold there it is right in the file with WINALDL in the documents file.

So now, I need to go log some more data and actually save it this time. I am trying to get at leasr one thing done every weekend so I can get my Scout running well. Hopefully after the learning curve it becomes easier.

Last edited: May 14, 2020
    Darrel likes this.