"Tip" Scout 800 build

Discussion in 'Binder Builds' started by walkersscout, May 1, 2016.

1. walkersscout

walkersscout High Wheeler

I managed to get everything connected this afternoon and took it out for a spin, it is awesome!!! Nice, easy pedal, front and rears are well balanced. I can bring it to a screeching halt with very little effort. This mod is right up there with power steering.

2. walkersscout

I had some spare time today so I was able to sand off all , the alligator paint on both sides of my Scout today. I sprayed it with epoxy primer,and then sprayed the color. Note, however, I did no body work at all, just stripped and painted. I still have the back to go, but didn't have time to pull the bumper off, and I want to refinish that at the same time. Maybe before next year's rendezvous.

KIMG0506.jpg

3. walkersscout

I have been driving my Scout around town the last few days trying to make sure I have the bugs worked out before I take it up to Rendezvous in a few weeks. It has been a joy to drive, though I keep having trouble with that carb. I have had a love hate relationship with it on different vehicles for years. It doesn't like the Scout much though. I tinker with it until it runs pretty well, then after a few days driving it needs to be tinkered with again. To day after driving for about an hour it started idling rough then dying at idle. I suspect water in the fuel, will need to pull the air horn off to check the bowls. I really need to get a better way to polish and regulate the fuel. I think that will become more important for when FI gets onboard.

4. BigRigg

BigRigg Y-Block King

Looks good from here!!! See you at rmihr!!!

5. walkersscout

I doubt I'll be at RMIHR, The Arizona Rendezvous is this month. I have a hard time escaping the state in the spring.

I pulled the air horn off. No water in the fuel, fuel level looks good, didn't really find anything. Put it back together and it runs great. Who knows???

6. walkersscout

Managed to get a few more things done. After a minor debacle with the carb I put my AF gauge on it and got it tuned. Running well now.

Started in on a new gauge panel with a tach. First I sorted the spaghetti behind the old panel and leveled everything. Only thing I missed was the high beam indicator, Will have to figure that out later
    KIMG0515.jpg

I cut a panel out with the two big gauges in the center next to each other, but the left side bumps my electric wiper motor, so I moved them apart and threw the clock in the center. Then I started wiring it up.
    KIMG0513.jpg

I need to pick up some indicator lights, then it can be installed. I will scare up a new fuel gauge as well. The gauge with the set is the wrong ohm range and it only has one sender which is a POC.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
    Wombat likes this.
  7. walkersscout

I got the gauge panel wired in except for the indicator lights. I am also waiting on a 1 in 6 out fuse panel to break out the power feed that was on the amp gauge. It's nice having a tach!

KIMG0519.jpg

I also managed to get my home brew threaded gas cap adapters installed as well.

KIMG0520.jpg

scout2000 likes this.
  8. walkersscout

My little 800 did very well on the weekends trail run at AZIHR. I couldn't be more happy with the way it is coming together. I did have an exhaust headpipe lose a nut. Need to swap those to crimped locknuts. I also have some sort of squeak/rattle in my passenger fuel tank area, probably need to pull that out and address that as well as a fuel return line and a better vent line. I also lost a bolt on my transmission mount, not sure why yet, so that will have to be looked into.

The power brake booster performed very well, there are a couple minor dimension changes, then I think it will be ready for the world.

The power steering was great on the trail, it made life very pleasant.

My crawl ratio with the 30" tires, 3.54 axle ratio, T19 wide, and Dana 300 did a very respectable job. I was able to gently walk where some were having to get a running start and hammer up. I would like to move up to a 32-33 inch tall, narrow tire, but it am going to get some wear on my current set first.

I still have some projects that I am going to continue working on. A better accessory drive set up, which I will likely talk about some once I have all the right accessories, would really clean up the engine bay. Getting my A/C back in is becoming important in the summer heat. I will likely go with the hurricane 1000 that has been used in 800s with good success. Finish painting the rear, and modify my swing away spare tire carrier to hold a few gallons of fuel. I also plan on some more noise/heat control in the cab, and sprayed bed liner in the rear. I have a pair of rear slider windows that I have modded for my top, need to finish those up. Then I would like to add a radio of some sort.
    With my current completion rate it will be totally done by AZIHR 2030

Last edited: May 2, 2019
  9. Mustang

Mustang Farmall Cub

Looks like your doing an incredible job! -------- are they ever really 100 percent completed?

10. walkersscout

11. walkersscout

Last weekend I was able to fix my turn signal! Awesome!!!
    I picked up the harness and yoke (?) for $35 shipped. The harness had bare wires at the end.
    KIMG0547.jpg

I pulled the wheel, removed 4 screws from the old yoke and flasher switch, cut the wires, and removed the old hardware. Pulled the wiring out, and then fed in the new wires. Then I used bare 3m crimps and shrink tube to attach the switch to the old wire connector.
    It took about an hour. I had to chase the threads in my steering wheel. Then I had to slightly open up the mounting holes in the switch.
    It is very nice having functioning signals again.

Scoutcamper likes this.
  12. Mustang

Mustang Farmall Cub

Well at least you weren't doing an axle swap after your surgery!

13. walkersscout

I got this done the day before. I am going to try walking tomorrow, maybe Ill open up the shop doors for a while. Cant pick anything up though.

14. Mustang

Mustang Farmall Cub

Hang in there and just be bored! The worst thing you can do is to over do it! I made that mistake before!

15. G-funk

G-funk Farmall Cub

This is awesome!

16. winchested

winchested Y-Block King

Ya can you share what slave you used and measurements on that bracket? This looks like a good way to get rid of the manual clutch.

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk

17. G-funk

G-funk Farmall Cub

Yo WalkerScout! Do you have any dimensions on the clutch bracket you made? How’s it been working for the last few years? Any help is appreciated.

18. Scoutcamper

Scoutcamper Farmall Cub

Nice! Is that an IH column? Can you share your source for the switch? That is definitely on my to-do list.

-Josh

19. walkersscout

As to the clutch parts and arrangement. The parts all came cheap off ebay. If you do a search for forklift slave cylinder it will come up for about $39. Same withthe master, just scroll theough until you find one that fits your bill, about the same price. It has been working fine since I put it in. I stillhave the drawing and have sent a couple guys the parts to make one.
    The column is a short IH column. IIRC it was in a later model 800. I simply mated it to the SII box with a couple U joints.
    As far as the switch. I went a round about way to get it fairly cheap. I found the original harness PN, then found there was an alternat PN forthe same part used in a school bus, which used the part until much more recently. I found the school bus part on ebay. I did have to relocate the harness wires a little, but simply by moving them around, not cutting them.

If I were to do the whole column again I would likely use a GM column and get better, more available parts cheaper. I would also get a tilt column

oneof3k and winchested like this.
  20. walkersscout

Wit the AZ Rendezvous next weekend I wasn't really planning on going. I have a lot of work to get done and I haven't done anything with the Scout since last year. The problem is the 1406 carb. I should have thrown it in the trash 20 years ago as there is something wrong with it that I cannot find. It was problematic on my pick up, but I kept it and put yet another kit in it and ran it. It starts sputtering at altitude. I've tried every jet, rod combination practical with the same end result. It runs fine at 1500 feet though.

Anyhow, I had been wanting to install a this system. But hadn't gotten around to pulling the trigger. A friend of mine that is a mechanic dropped by and gave me a complete TBI kit that was on a truck that was being replaced for other reasons. It drove fine into his shop.

So now I have all the parts except the harness which was butchered beyond being able to reassemble with any expediency.

I ordered a harness, a 6 port switching valve, and picked up some fuel line.

Then I made an adapter plate.
    KIMG0230.JPG
    Then I pulled a fuel tank out and made a bolt on manifold with a vent line, supply and return line. I plug welded in a back up plate.
    KIMG0231.JPG
    Tank is installed. I used rubber hose for now, as I am trying to get one tank operational before rendezvous. I will likely bend some steel lines from both tanks to the switching valve when the other tank is done. I put in the vent line as I believe that to be the source of the filling issues.
    KIMG0232.JPG
    I built a custom quick release fuel pump mount and ran some of the fuel line and all of the vent line. Ran out of hose though.
    KIMG0234.JPG
    I also mounted the throttle body, made a new air cleaner stud, mounted the coil and the map sensor. I am also in the middle of a small cap hei distributor conversion since I have all the parts. I think it is a little cleaner look, but not sure if I am going to like the fit. I still have the distributor that I am currently running and may do the duraspark conversion on it instead. Time may be a key factor.
    The harness should be here Wednesday, so gobs of time to finish up and play with it before Friday...