"Tip" Scout 800 build

Discussion in 'Binder Builds' started by walkersscout, May 1, 2016.

1. steve graham

steve graham Farmall Cub

And I see you've resisted the shackle reversal and kept the front shackles up front where they belong.

scout2000 likes this.
  2. walkersscout

walkersscout High Wheeler

Yea, left them where they were, I figured the auto engineers had done their homework, and I opted not to redo it.
    For the motor mounts I just bent some 1/4" plate into a 90 and added a gusset underneath. The mounts just sit flat and are off a big block Galaxy from the 60s. They have an interlocking if they fail.
    Got a little more done. I cut out and bent up some new spring plates for the bigger u bolts. I used 1/2" plate. The turn downs are a little long, but that was as short as I could make them and have it fits in my press brake. I would have used 3/8", but I had none on hand.

3. walkersscout

Hit the wrong button, here is the pic KIMG0375.jpg
    I still need to make and weld on a shock mount.
    I made a new drag link using TREs with 11/16 thread since I had them and had left and right hand taps. It is 1" DOM, as that is what I had left over from a hot rod project. It seems a bit light duty, so I will likely add a sleeve over it.
    I also got my brakes assembled and the plumbing changed for a dual master cylinder. I used a Wilwood MC, as I had a brand new, 10 year old one sitting around. The bad news is that it won't develop pressure. It is all bled, but very little braking power. I ordered the rebuild kit. KIMG0374.jpg

My stocker locking hubs were worn out so I fabbed a temporary set, then ordered a new set. I went with AVM as they had nodular Iron parts vs cast aluminum. They actually arrived today. As I was installing them I discovered a broken bolt deep inside one of the holes in the hub, so I guess I get to take that side all apart and machine it out.
    KIMG0377.jpg

I still need to make some new shackles. I am going to make them an inch longer to match the 1" taller rear spring hangers. I will likely make one piece shackles with a tie bar and a leg on the back to prevent the shackles from flipping backward. Also need to buy some new shocks. I will measure my full drop, then calculate full squish first.
    Then I should be good to drive.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
  4. walkersscout

I made a drill bushings and used it to drill out the broken bolt. Worked pretty well, and I didn't have to pull the hub off. (Edit. This was a new bolt that I cut the threads off, then center drilled. I used this as a drill guide. I inserted it into the hub hole, then inserted the drill into the center)
    KIMG0380.jpg

This allowed me to get my hubs bolted on.

KIMG0381.jpg
    Then I made some shackle prototypes. No tie bar in these, but I am pretty happy with them so far. One problem I ran into is that the hangers at the top of the shackle is narrower than the spring, as the stock spring bushings did not have flanges and my new large bushings do. I will likely just make new hangers and buy the same bushings as I have in the springs.
    KIMG0384.jpg
    I got the rebuild kit for the master cylinder ordered. I pulled it back off and disassembled it. Looks like the problem may have been a missing snap ring that holds the rear piston in place. This allowed the piston to travel too far backward and suck in some air. There was also some staining and dried crud in the bore. I polished that out, so hopefully I should be able to get the brakes functioning shortly.
    I took it for a short spin down my driveway and dirt road. Was able to lock in the hubs, shift into low and with a little gas leave 4 short spin out marks in the dirt. There was a little funny behavior from the steering on a whoopdedoo in the road. For now I am going to attribute it to the lack of shocks. Couldn't really drive it very fast with only the e brake.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
  5. Ruffrider

Ruffrider Farmall Cub

Looking good. What do you use to cut out the shackles with? I use my plasma cutter but never that smooth!!! Anyway on my motor mounts I am gonna use two six banger mounts new an build up the bases with 1/2 in plate. The plates for you springs look great. Now how did you get all the old bolt and cut new threads without removing the hub ?? Keep up the great work.

6. walkersscout

I use my cnc plasma cutter. I bought a GoTorch years ago and have hacked and modded it into a useable tool.
    I used that bolt that I drilled through on my lathe and plugged that into the hole on the hub. It guided the drill bit down the center of the hole. First Itried a smaller hole and an extractor. That didn't work, so I tried a bigger hole and a bigger extractor, still no joy. One last hole one size smaller than the bit used for tapping and I was able to crumbled the bolt bit out, then clean up the threads.

Brokegunner likes this.
  7. walkersscout

My MC rebuild kit arrived today. I plugged all the new parts in and found I only had a few tablespoons of brake fluid left. Oh well, maybe tomorrow

I also ordered some shocks. While looking I was a little dismayed to find very few sites that listed actual open and closed dimensions on their shocks. I ended up having to find a shock that said it was for a scout 800 with a 3" lift. Search online for some dimensions only to find they either didn't extend far enough or didn't collapse enough. While looking on a site there was a listing for a Heep that showed the right dimensions, but had the wrong ends. I went on the skyjacker site, found the right ends and the right dimensions. I ordered Skyjacker Hydros. I have read some bad posts on them but quite a few said they seemed to work fine. For my useage I will probably find them acceptable. I found a pair NIB but missing the metal sleeves for one shock for 60 bucks a pair shipped. I will wait until I have them in hand before I weld in the bottom shock mount.

8. walkersscout

Well, the Wilwood master cylinder is in the trash where it belongs. I picked up a Heep MC and installed that. I will likely redo the lines connecting it at some point, but it is in and I have brakes. Still a little spongy up front, as I suspect there is a little air trapped in that long line that runs at the top of the firewall, but good enough to drive around. I also do not have a prop valve in the system. I do not want to install an adjustable as I believe those are just a needle valve, not a true regulator. I am considering going with a factory style. I am not doing it at the moment while I consider if I want to go to power brakes.

9. walkersscout

This is my current MC installed. I am in the education phase of considering a vacuum brake booster. I have been looking at offset brake booster brackets that have a sort of bellcrank arrangement, not really a bellcrank though, just a means of offsetting the booster from the pedal pushrod. It doesn't seem like brain surgery, so I may attempt it.
    KIMG0388.jpg
    KIMG0388.jpg
    I also put the Scout on the lift and removed all the body mount nuts. Then I dropped it down and used some lumber on the lift arms and lifted the body off the mounts enough to change mine out. I used SII mounts. I cut out washers to fit over the portion that goes through the SII body mount. The center tubes are the same size as the 800 body mount holes. You can see the squashed mount that I put in 10 years ago. They went flat within a year.
    KIMG0394.jpg

Last edited: May 2, 2019
  10. walkersscout

The body mounts are all in and bolted down. I used 7/16" bolts, 4" long bolts in the two center rears as well as the mounts under the A pillars, and 3 1/2" in the mid body mounts. For the front mount I used two strips of the rubber horse stall mat stacked under the core support. My doors close great again! Took it for a short spin and
    I am very happy with the reduction in squeaks and rattles. If I address the rear hatch and gate rattles then it will be as rattle free as I need.
    My shocks arrived today, too late to put them on, maybe tomorrow.

11. Alex

Alex Farmall Cub

Body bushings are always an essential part of a resto.
    Plus, as a bonus, it gets you a half inch of lift.

walkersscout likes this.
  12. walkersscout

I cut the shock mounts off the old u bolt plates and welded them onto the new u bolt plates. Unfortunately, due to the different spring perch width on the new axle the bottom of the shock leans to the inside by a inch on each side. I jacked the frame up on one side until it was off the ground and it doesn't seem to cause any issue on either side. I am just going to leave it as is for now, if the visual bothers me in a month I may change the lower mount out.

13. walkersscout

Here are the shocks installed. You can detect the slight lean in. The symmetry will probably cause me to turn some new mounts and change it, but I have bigger fish to fry at the moment.
    KIMG0409.jpg

I also started looking into making an 800 specific bolt on booster bracket. I have a 67 chebby pick up bracket as well as an SII bracket. A little measuring showed them both having the same lever measurements, 2" between the pushrod a 2 ½" from the lower pushrod to the pivot.
    I needed 5" between the pushrod to get the booster high enough, so I just scaled up the factory measurements.
    This first pic is a basic line drawing I did on my plasma machine of how it is now.
    KIMG0405.jpg

Attached Files:

14. walkersscout

This next pic is what it would look like with a 7" booster including the pivot points scaled up.
    KIMG0406.jpg
    This last pic is what a rough cut bracket with bolt flanges would look like. Next to the large lever arm I show the factory size for comparison. Scaling the whole thing up leaves me with the same mechanical disadvantage as a factory unit.
    KIMG0407.jpg

The kicker now is that I will need to buy a booster next, Then will likely cut the brackets out of light sheet metal scraps to try it out.
    BtW, all the little white dots on the screen pics are an inch apart.

15. walkersscout

This was more like an inch. What I hate doing is the same project twice. I put those mounts in 10 or so years ago. It was a kit for a Heep. The original hose washers were worn out. They were squashed flat within a year. I am hopeful these urethane mounts will stand a little better test of time.

16. walkersscout

For anyone interested, I decided to do the calculation on the class 3 lever in both sizes, using a 70 pound input both were within a pound at the booster end, so no worries about bad math guesstimates causing an issue. Looks promising so far.

Darrel likes this.
  17. walkersscout

I had two fans come in the mail. One is a stock gm/ford style steel fan. The same as the 18" fan I am replacing. While it does fit in there And I can space it away from my belts and pulleys it is uncomfortably close to the radiator. I am considering lifting the rear of the drive train to get the bottom away, but am undecided. I also tried a Derale flex fan. It is much thinner, and moved lots of air at slightly higher rpm, but not sure if it moves enough at idle. That is what is on there now, since it has plenty of clearance.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
    Darrel likes this.
  18. walkersscout

I had a chance today to play with my booster bracket. I stopped by Fifes Scout Werks and borrowed an old SII booster with bracket and master.
    This is the bracket I came up with.
    KIMG0420.jpg
    This is roughly how it will fit on the stock firewall plate. The ruler is on the wheel well and the projected bottom of the booster is about a ¼" above the wheel well.
    KIMG0423.jpg

This pic shows both sides of the booster bracket with the lever. This was all cut out of 20 gauge sheet metal for proof of concept. I think it is proven enough to order parts.
    KIMG0425.jpg

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
    Darrel likes this.
  19. walkersscout

The booster came today, I went with an aftermarket 8" dual. No master or prop valve yet, so no real progress.
    Took the scout on a trail this afternoon with my son. It does want to run a bit warmer than I like with the Derale flex fan, so I really need to get the non flex version in there. It also wants to load up, as it is running too rich with the edelbrock 1406 on it. I don't have the right stuff to lean it out.
    My boy got to drive for a bit, seemed to have fun.
    KIMG0443.jpg

Last edited: May 2, 2019
  20. walkersscout

After several versions I have one that I am pretty happy with. Need to re plumb the brake lines and connect the pushrods to the lever. KIMG0491.jpg